Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS Ankle injury to go to A+E or not?

(7 Posts)
piffle Wed 27-Apr-05 10:38:35

Ds 11 hurt his inside ankle just below ankle bone ie inside of foot while skipping at school yesterday, he said he jarred it on landing and felt pain straight away .School checked and as no swelling or bruising they kept it elevated and he stayed at school.
He cycled home ok, but was pretty upset when walking
Now the thing is and shoot me here, he does ham up things, his limp is more a John Cleese specialty. I do beleive he has a very sore foot, but am loathe to sit for hours in A+E to be told it's just a strain rest it...
He is in pain rotating it, but there is no swelling or bruising and no pain when it's resting.
I know I probably should go and and get it xrayed but it is so hard for us to get to A+E it's not an idea to be taken lightly.
Help...

Tinker Wed 27-Apr-05 10:41:19

I doubt they'd even x-ray it in A&E. It's likely to be a sprain and they'd say rest it upwards, cold peas on it and a tube bandage thing

debs26 Wed 27-Apr-05 10:42:19

tell him you will take him to a & e tomorrow if its still as truly awful as he is making out, will probably scare the life out of him if you make it clear they will know if he is faking. also gives him time for it to 'recover' without it looking too suspicious

piffle Wed 27-Apr-05 10:48:33

he went for a hand injury last year... Same drama but no break .
I know from my experience though that you can break internal foot bones easily...
He is at home today resting, he has knocked it a few times and there has been a face colour draining kind of pain occuring - so I'm halfway into yes and halfway into no...
I guess we'll see how he is tomorrow...

Avalon Wed 27-Apr-05 11:23:46

Take him - it'll at least put your mind at rest. Can you get anyone to help with the trip to A&E?

I'm still suffering from the effects of injuring my ankle 15 years ago and not having it properly treated. (Let alone the pain I still get from last year's broken foot - hope your foot healed ok.)

emeraldefmach Wed 27-Apr-05 11:59:22

Piffle, sounds like a sprain to me. Strap it up and tell him to rest it.

piffle Thu 28-Apr-05 09:50:13

curiously the injury coincided with cricket try outs yesterday, ds is not sporty and detests any team sport in actual fact as he gets mocked for being rubbish.
He biked off to school this am without so much as an ouch or limp...
not sure whether to laugh or cry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now