Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dry January - a month off the booze - anyone want to join me?

(631 Posts)
Doshusallie Tue 01-Jan-13 14:54:03

I am determined to do this - I drink most days, it's become a habit, just a glass or two, more at weekends, but really want to give myself an extended break.

The worst time of day for me is between 6-8 pm, before we eat. So am going to try and eat earlier and it would be great if I could come on here and get some support about that time of day!

does anybody want to have a dry January with me?

And yes I do have a hangover today grin

TheMonster Tue 01-Jan-13 14:54:46

No way! I did consider it for a moment.

muriel76 Tue 01-Jan-13 14:57:13

I have a dry January every year. I always feel better for it.

I'm not sure if I'll get on here every day but just wanted to say go for it, you won't regret it. I'll post when I can smile

atosilis Tue 01-Jan-13 14:57:42

I've signed up for it!

rhondajean Tue 01-Jan-13 15:00:47

Yep me and dh said this morning we would do this. He might finish the peroni in the fridge tonight then start but I'm already on it.

I have a hangover, not bad but I don't like it. I need to lose a cou

Doshusallie Tue 01-Jan-13 15:00:57

Thanks Muriel. Dh says he's going to do t too, and he usually manages the full month when he does, I am crap.

Great Atosilis! Would be great to be able to distract myself from my nightly glass of red!!!

rhondajean Tue 01-Jan-13 15:01:12

Oops phone sorry lose a couple if pounds too and it will help.

Doshusallie Tue 01-Jan-13 15:03:05

It deffo will Rhonda - I am low carb boot camping as well so no alcohol is in keeping with that.

Going to move the gin and wine to the garage, when I get out of bed at some point today... blush

SugaricePlumFairy Tue 01-Jan-13 15:03:27

I'm going to start tomorrow, definitely!!.

I am determined. smile

Doshusallie Tue 01-Jan-13 15:04:47

That (grin) looks like a very determined face indeed sugarice

muriel76 Tue 01-Jan-13 15:07:55

I've been 'lucky' to have a horrible flu virus this week so have not had a drink since Christmas Day so I have a head start to my usual hungover New Year's Day.

Every year I get to the end of January and feel like I could happily never drink again, it's amazing how quickly you get used to it and I do love a glass of wine! Every night virtually grin

SugaricePlumFairy Tue 01-Jan-13 15:10:07

Really I am grin, honest!

Dh back at work tomorrow as are most people so this is our last day of holidays .< refills glass to finish it off>

Doshusallie Tue 01-Jan-13 15:13:49

Well I feel poisoned today after last night's excess so easy to say it today, it will be tomorrow onwards when I need you all to help maintain my resolve.....

DancingInTheMoonlight Tue 01-Jan-13 15:16:41

I'll join you. I'm on a mission to lose a stone before i turn 30 at the end of Feb. Over the last few months the number if glasses of wine i have in a week is creeping up (as is my weight). A dry January is just what i need...

tuffinmop Tue 01-Jan-13 15:38:06

i'm in! Day one, hungover and feeling sketchy, looking forward to seeing it through and feeling better smile

Godlessdomestic Tue 01-Jan-13 16:12:11

I'm doing a dry Jan too (apart from Friday as we are out with friends). I don't drink a huge amount but am getting a wee bit too fond of a quick glass in the evening. Will do me good to give it a rest this month.

kotinka Tue 01-Jan-13 16:12:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Doshusallie Tue 01-Jan-13 16:16:10

Excellent.

Love your name Godless

I don't have many (any?) social things on this month which will make it easier.

God I feel so rough still - have managed to get out of bed, put the d/w on, put tea on for the DC and tidy up a bit. back to bed for a bit now I think. Hangovers are such a collossal waste of time aren't they?

Maryz Tue 01-Jan-13 16:18:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gillyweed001 Tue 01-Jan-13 16:22:33

My DH is doing this to raise money for cancer research UK. Its called Dryathlon.

Doshusallie Tue 01-Jan-13 20:21:49

Ok so that's day 1 done. I am going to bed as cannot bear feeling this bad any longer. I wish resisting the wine could be this easy every day.

Looking forward to a booze free month!!!!

Godlessdomestic Tue 01-Jan-13 20:26:38

I've managed to resist a Baileys coffee and escape the clutches of a chilled Pinot in the fridge. I have a feeling it's not going to be this easy for long - I am jaded from last nights margarita excess!

Love your name Godless - twirls - thank you grin

Doshusallie Tue 01-Jan-13 20:37:03

I am not going to be able to have it in the house godles - fact. Right deffo going to bed now.

tuffinmop Wed 02-Jan-13 09:17:13

Mornin Ladies!
Day 2 here we come, still feeling sketchy from NYE blush so shouldn't be a taxing day.
Anyone got any ideas for distractions at the danger time? (mine is when getting tea ready and when DC's in bed - I habitually reach for a glass of wine) I am thinking of power walking every evening for 10 mins after they are in bed to clear my head and get the heart beating. I need some clarity and head space and am hoping I will be able to embrace my sobriety.

Sugarice Wed 02-Jan-13 09:26:47

My trigger time for a glass is 5.30 ish when doing tea for the boys.

I will resist, I will resist! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now