Talk

Advanced search

Frost and potatoes

(7 Posts)
averylongtimeago Fri 21-Apr-17 13:48:42

Arghhhh! My potatoes have been nipped savaged by frost.
We have had so far a very mild, dry spring. No rain for a month now, temperatures around 20+ over Easter. But for the last 3 nights it has dropped to around -4, crystal clear sky with a cold dry north east wind.
I planted one of my raised beds with potatoes sold as "precose tres precose" under a cloche and layer of straw about a month ago. Stupidly I thought that would be enough protection, and didn't cover the emerging new leaves. They have been well frosted, but if you part the straw the stem is green and there are some small unaffected new leaves. Needless to say I have added a thicker layer of straw....

Are they doomed??? Should I get more seed potatoes and plant them quickly? I absolutely don't want my nice, but know it all, neighbour to know as I will never hear the end of it so any replanting will have to be done under cover of darkness.....

Eatingcheeseontoast Fri 21-Apr-17 13:49:53

I think it'll set them back but not kill them. They should recover. If you earth them up now they should be fine.

Eatingcheeseontoast Fri 21-Apr-17 13:50:44

Frosts can damage new growth. Frosted shoots will often recover, but cropping will be delayed and reduced. Tubers frosted in the ground or in storage should be discarded

From RHS www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=716

AlternativeTentacle Fri 21-Apr-17 13:53:07

Nah, they will be fine. Just earth/cover them up now. Last year the best potato crops was from all the ones that grew of their own accord and they got frosted several times. I put mine in a fair bit later these days as they are easier to manage before the last frost date and catch up and overtake the earlier ones.

Gatekeeper Fri 21-Apr-17 13:55:23

They will be fine, mine got the buggery nipped out of them last year but came back splendidly. Good crop too

averylongtimeago Fri 21-Apr-17 14:12:39

In the interests of mn I have just dug one up. The stem is fine and the tuber not frosted. So I won't have to rush to bati loisire to buy more!
And my neighbours need never know......

Kokapetl Fri 21-Apr-17 21:24:31

Potatoes are tough. My husband mowed one of my potato plants once in May/June and it still grew back and we still got a crop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now