Talk

Advanced search

would you eat brocolli that is starting to go a bit yellow?

(11 Posts)
dingdong05 Mon 14-Sep-09 15:21:49

I harvested a load cause I could tell they were not far from flowering altogether, but after 2 days a lot of the flower buds are going yellow. I'm going to make a vast batch of soup so they don't need to be super tender or goodlooking.
There's tonnes of it and I don't want to waste it!
I'm even willing to pick all the (now dead) caterpillars off it (boak)

TheArmadillo Mon 14-Sep-09 15:22:20

yep and do.

PrincessToadstool Mon 14-Sep-09 15:22:50

Yes, esp in soup. Yum yum!

MamaG Mon 14-Sep-09 15:22:56

I'd cook it for DH

haventsleptforayear Mon 14-Sep-09 15:24:15

Yes.

God I hate that caterpillar picking.

I would be tempted to BUY frozen broccoli now but we have a freezer full of it.

DH doesn't pick them out properly and I feel sick eating it knowing that they are there.

haventsleptforayear Mon 14-Sep-09 15:25:57

OP look here! grin

weegiemum Mon 14-Sep-09 15:27:47

Yes!

Our kids call it "Autumn Broccoli" grin

Stayingsunnygirl Mon 14-Sep-09 15:30:36

Dh once cooked some broccoli that had gone very yellow - and put green food colouring on it to make it green again. It was not terribly appetising! I'd have thought it would be fine in soup, though.

dingdong05 Mon 14-Sep-09 16:49:59

Oh! Is that thread about me? Ah well, they that mind can boil their heids, and their broccccccoooolllliiiiieeeeeaaaah grin

haventsleptforayear I just couldn't [boak] The last batch I steamed and despite the fact that I had combed through it I discovered 1 en route to my mouth [boak] And even though I was trying to convince ds how yummy it was I couldn't put it near my mouth...you are much tougher than me!

lol at adding green dye though

Thanks everyone!

PrincessToadstool Mon 14-Sep-09 18:38:38

I'm going to start calling it brockley.

haventsleptforayear Tue 15-Sep-09 09:22:31

No no I can't eat them with the caterpillars either!

I spent 30 mins picking them out yesterday before cooking them, and then some MORE fell out once they'd been boiled.

I still felt a bit sicky even though I had literally been over them with a fine-tooth comb, splitting every floret (sp?) apart and scraping all suspicious looking items off...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now