Talk

Advanced search

What are your veg curry combinations?

(34 Posts)
ComeOnEileen11 Wed 10-Jun-20 13:07:36

Veggie household.

I like to keep a stash of mild curries in the freezer for DC so that DH and I can have a hot version.

I usually do chickpea and a combination of whatever veg is on the turn in the fridge when I get round to batch cooking it.

But I'm trying to stop 'hiding' veg in food so I want to make it more apparent to him.

What are your veg combinations please?

Chickpea, spinach and tomato has gone down well.

I'm looking for some inspiration please smile

Mustardbay Wed 10-Jun-20 13:09:16

Sweet potato and cauliflower is good.

GrumpyHoonMain Wed 10-Jun-20 13:09:38

Methi egg.
Bottle gourd (or pumpkin) and chana dal
Sweetcorn and Casava curry
Kidney bean curry

YetAnotherSpartacus Wed 10-Jun-20 13:13:40

Saag paneer - the 'wet' version.

Butter chicken-style sauce, but with chickpeas.

Malai Kofta.

Allo Mattar Paneer.

LaughingDonkey Wed 10-Jun-20 13:15:46

Garlic, onion, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, basil, extra fine beans

MmeSzyszkoBohusz Wed 10-Jun-20 13:17:59

Red lentil, sweet potato and spinach dahl is a favourite here; also cauliflower and potato (tomato-based) curry.

Branleuse Wed 10-Jun-20 13:19:23

Cashew nuts in curry are amazing

cataclysmiclife Wed 10-Jun-20 13:21:03

Peppers, aubergine and lentils - maybe mushroom too

BlackCrow Wed 10-Jun-20 13:29:22

I like aubergines, cauliflower, pumpkin/ squash and spinach in my curries (not necessarily all that the same time). They also usually include a can of chickpeas. Other veg which are great in curry but I don't eat a lot of otherwise are green pepper and green beans.

karmakameleon Wed 10-Jun-20 14:06:50

My kids love curry, these are all popular:

Chickpea curry
Kidney bean curry
Sweetcorn and mixed peppers
Roasted aubergine
Aubergine and pea
Potato and pea
Cabbage
Green bean curry
Vegetable pakora
Pav bhaji
Vegetable kofta curry

I can add photos for recipes if any you like the sound of.

Jennyie1 Wed 10-Jun-20 19:01:21

Potato and cauliflower with coconut milk and spinach. I roast the potato and cauliflower first to give them more flavour and make them golden and crusty.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Wed 10-Jun-20 19:12:05

Spartacus or Karma - Do you have a recipe for the kofta, please?

My favourites are paneer makhani and mattar paneer, aloo gobhi and parka dhal.

If doing a mixed vege curry, it's usually carrots, potatoes, peppers, chickpeas, green beans.

I like a nice thick red lentil curry with any mixed vege, plus pineapple and lots of tamarind.

Often shove a load of spinach in at the end of a mixed vege curry.

Hoppinggreen Wed 10-Jun-20 19:13:01

Cauliflower and peas is a favourite here

karmakameleon Wed 10-Jun-20 19:43:13

This one from Madhur Jaffrey I’ve used that’s made with courgette but other vegetables work too.

dingit Wed 10-Jun-20 19:44:03

Not a veggie but love this

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/roasted-root-vegetable-balti.html

karmakameleon Wed 10-Jun-20 19:44:20

Sorry, should say that’s a kofta curry recipe for Remus.

ShortAndSharp Wed 10-Jun-20 20:38:17

Mushroom, spinach, and potato. A veggie saag style curry. I agree with all previous combos too. Despite being a meat eater, I do think curry is one of the dishes that can benefit from being vegetarian.

ttigerlilly Wed 10-Jun-20 20:40:21

Chickpeas, spinach, & sweet potato with a load of garlic and onion within the sauce (tomato based with coconut milk & heaps of tumeric in addition to the usual curry spices) yummy! 😍

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Wed 10-Jun-20 20:43:12

Thanks, Karma. I think I might actually have that recipe knocking around here somewhere!

Jedimastermama Thu 11-Jun-20 02:04:27

Sweet potato, peppers & peas.
Chickpeas.
Carrots, potato, sweet corn, peppers.
Potato, peas, broccoli & spinach.
Pumpkin & spinach.
Chickpeas & sweet potato.

Mominatrix Thu 11-Jun-20 07:37:10

A favourite for my children is Japanese curry. I add it to a mix of carrot, sweet potato, onion, tofu and some sort of green (kale, broccoli, courgette, mange tout).

Another favourite is red lentil curry - Indian spices, red lentils, carrot, onion, ginger, cauliflower.

I also do a thai pumpkin curry - red thai curry paste, carrot, butternut squash/pumpkin, green bean

Another popular one is West African style tofu peanut curry - tofu, a variety of peppers (green, red, yellow), mustard greens in a coconut milk, miso and peanut butter sauce.

SpacePug Thu 11-Jun-20 12:15:16

A lady at work makes halloumi curry , it always looks delicious but Ive never tried it

BinkyBoinky Thu 11-Jun-20 13:33:34

Big ol' mixed veg. Potatoes, carrots, courgette, leek, peppers, mushrooms, peas, spinach, cauli, brocs, tomatoes. I literally shove whatever I have in there at the time and make up a big pot. Heaven.

handbagsatdawn33 Thu 11-Jun-20 17:56:49

I bought a bag of frozen mixed veg when lockdown started.
Adding some to a dhal curry when it's nearly cooked has been very successful.
Apart from a stir-fry, can't think of anything else to do with it!

monkeyonthetable Thu 11-Jun-20 18:01:09

DC like spinach, sweet potato and pea in a spicy tomato and onion sauce. I make it with fresh toasted then ground fenugreek, cumin, coriander and mustard seed, fried garlic and ginger and a bit of mild curry or chilli powder and turmeric.

You can then add spiced fried cubes of paneer on top or spiced chicken pieces if you're not veggie.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »