Page 2 | Saddest film you've ever seen?

(661 Posts)
bluetit101 Sun 13-Jan-19 11:15:05

So I'm sitting here watching Seven Pounds (Will Smith)
I've seen this film loads of times, but it never fails to make me cry. Like proper ugly cry, tears streaming, everything.
This is the only film that does this to me. I think it's so underrated.

What movies do this to other people??

OP’s posts: |
bluetit101 Sun 13-Jan-19 11:44:59

Well it's just finished and I'm now a sobbing, snotty, ugly mess...

I haven't seen a lot of these, I need to watch them, love a sad movie.

Ah yes, the Green Mile.. that makes me cry every time, but just a couple of tears, not ugly crying, that was just the first time I watched it. My son however, was a state after that. He buried himself under a blanket and cried for 20 mins after! (He was 13!)

WhatchaMaCalllit Sun 13-Jan-19 11:47:25

Steel Magnolias.

Always gets me.

I blunt at Forrest Gump, especially when he says "I may not be a smart man but I know what love is"... sets the waterworks off.

crabb Sun 13-Jan-19 11:48:14

Grave of the Fireflies - a Studio Ghibli anime. An IMDB reviewer called it “The best movie you’ll never want to see again”. Pretty accurate 😞

recklessgran Sun 13-Jan-19 11:49:22

Angela's Ashes. Such grinding poverty/misery but I love the film. So human.

crabb Sun 13-Jan-19 11:49:27

Sorry for double post. And oh yes - Lion. Absolutely wonderful and heart-wrenching.

BringItOn88 Sun 13-Jan-19 11:49:42

Still Alice. I watched it shortly after my grandfather passed away from dementia and I sobbed from about 10 minutes in. I was mentally and physically exhausted from crying when it finished

Advertisement

Cheesymonster Sun 13-Jan-19 11:49:56

A Dog’s Purpose.

Ladder 49.

Palaver1 Sun 13-Jan-19 11:52:16

Manchester by the sea ahhh so so so sad

Palaver1 Sun 13-Jan-19 11:52:56

Fences 8n a different sort of sad way

MrsJayy Sun 13-Jan-19 11:57:28

Ah yes, the Green Mile.. that makes me cry every time, but just a couple of tears, not ugly crying, that was just the first time I watched it. My son however, was a state after that. He buried himself under a blanket and cried for 20 mins after! (He was 13!)

Aww bless him

MrsJayy Sun 13-Jan-19 11:58:46

Oh i think Dh recorded Manchester by the sea last night

MadisonAvenue Sun 13-Jan-19 12:02:17

Marley and Me.
Beaches

SureIusedtobetaller Sun 13-Jan-19 12:02:39

Terms of Endearment- teenage me sobbed all the way home.
A Monster Calls- full on snotty ugly crying. Everyone in the cinema was the same. It was carnage!

LadyCassandra Sun 13-Jan-19 12:04:29

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It’s heartbreakingly bleak and sad at the end. I was depressed for days after watching it.

WuzzAndBuddy Sun 13-Jan-19 12:14:35

Oh @MrsJayy, I was gonna say Hachi! Isn't it just the saddest story!? Can't believe it's a true story 😔
I watched it before Christmas for the first time, I'd never heard of it before. I cried and cried... actually had to get the tissue box. DH thought I'd finally cracked!
I was about to go and do a clear out in DS bedroom, I perched on the arm of the sofa chatting to DH about something, then noticed Richard Gere and started watching. Needless to say, I didn't get very far with the clear out that afternoon! 😭 Ended up curled up on the sofa, hugging a cushion, in a right soggy mess!

Madbengalmum Sun 13-Jan-19 12:19:30

Hatchi, is just the saddest, most amazing true story, I can't watch it now. I have an Akita, ( same as Hatchi), can't do it again.
I also have a copy of a dog's purpose and I just can't bring myself to watch it!

bluetit101 Sun 13-Jan-19 12:24:25

Ok I need to watch Hatchi..
I'm not too good with animals dying in films. I couldn't watch the new Watership Down at Christmas because I'm still scarred from watching the old version when I was little

DrFoxtrot Sun 13-Jan-19 12:27:40

I sobbed uncontrollably after Spartacus blush how embarrassing grin

SwingoutSisterSledge Sun 13-Jan-19 12:32:03

The Champ

Ucangourownwoo Sun 13-Jan-19 12:33:01

The pianist, I cry when he’s separated from his family, when he’s having to run away from the city being torched, when they start shooting at him, when he runs with his broke leg/foot and basically the whole way through. It’s one of those films that really made me “get” the holocaust.

iwantavuvezela Sun 13-Jan-19 12:35:13

I remember sobbing in this movie. I really should re watch it as it had such an impact on me.

breaking Waves

www.theguardian.com/film/2010/oct/20/breaking-waves-trier-arthouse

OdeToDiazepam Sun 13-Jan-19 12:36:41

Artificial intelligence

OdeToDiazepam Sun 13-Jan-19 12:37:09

I can't watch it again because the last scene makes me cry so much and I'm talking like full on sobbing!

KTD27 Sun 13-Jan-19 12:38:51

Dear Zachary. It’s a true story documentary a guy makes for his friends little boy after his friend was killed. And it gets very very very sad. I’ll never watch it again but it affects me greatly still and I’ve never cried at anything before or since quite like that. You can watch it on YouTube if you want. It’s powerful

Blackboot Sun 13-Jan-19 12:39:39

Inside out.
I thought it would be a funny kids movie. It completely blindsided me.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in