Talk

Advanced search

Preppers Paradise: Pickled Turnips and Sovereignty Spam

(489 Posts)
RedToothBrush Wed 18-Jul-18 19:23:42

Despite all the accusations of hysteria for those saying they intend to prep, today Theresa May said households were going to be given guidelines in August and September on how to prepare in the event of No Deal.

Robert Peston@Peston
**@theresa**_may says 70 "technical notices" for businesses and households will be published in Aug and Sept setting out how we can all prepare for a no-deal Brexit (should that be what happens). Yikes

Arla are already warning that milk product may be scare and baby formula will be 'an occasional luxury' even if we do get a deal
Dairy products 'may become luxuries' after UK leaves EU

Whilst we wait for the government to advise us on what action we all need to consider taking, this is a thread dedicated for those people who wish to share tips, advice and what they plan to do rather than clogging up other threads.

ClashCityRocker Wed 18-Jul-18 19:25:47

Does anyone know what food and goods are likely to continue to be available?

I guess everything is likely to shoot up in price even if it is UK grown as demand will outstrip supply.

Bearbehind Wed 18-Jul-18 19:26:41

I've read that the technical notices were only for businesses, she specifically ruled out giving the general public and info until it was too late i.e., no deal was the only option- which is even even worse!

Mrs May told the liaison committee she stood by her claim that "no deal was better a bad deal" when it came to Brexit. She said the government was working for a "good deal" but would be stepping up preparations for a "no deal" scenario, with plans to issue "technical notices" to businesses that would be affected.

But she would not set out the "consequences" of leaving the EU without a deal to the public until it happened, she told liaison committee chairwoman Sarah Wollaston.

CaptainBrickbeard Wed 18-Jul-18 19:32:54

I wonder if the leaflets will be based on the worst-case scenarios the government drew up, bearing in mind that we don’t know what was on the actual worst one. What did the second-worst scenario entail? Supermarkets empty within three days? I remember the fuel shortage in the mid-00s when the petrol stations emptied out as soon as the papers said there would be a fuel shortage. So, nothing in the shops, no deliveries, people not able to get to work - the country could slide into complete chaos very, very quickly - not even thinking about medical shortages (I have a Type 1 insulin dependent diabetic in the family so worried about that particularly). I don’t even know how to begin prepping for that kind of scenario to be honest.

CaptainBrickbeard Wed 18-Jul-18 19:33:57

Oh, cross-post, so we won’t actually get the chance to prepare. Great!

RedToothBrush Wed 18-Jul-18 19:35:11

This is another twitter report on the same thing

Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn
PM reveals no deal preparations will visibly step up over next two months - 70 technical notices being sent out telling businesses and people how to prepare. Big sea change, Cabinet previously didn't want to scare the horses.

I've not read what May has said exactly, but its being reported as if it were the general public.

If they are telling business to increase warehouse or storage capacity as part of the technical notes, how is she going to justify not giving advice to the public too? This isn't going to be kept a secret for business.

Plus its already being interpreted by senior journalists as households too.

Somerville Wed 18-Jul-18 19:43:29

Hopefully the business ones will give indicators that help us as households to know what to expect?

In terms of preparing - the medicine one of my kids needs is made in Holland. I've had it put on 3 monthly rather than 1 monthly prescription, and all year I've been fulfilling her repeat prescription a few weeks early, so I've built up a few months extra supply. I'll also be getting 3 month worth in early March, on the advice of her GP.

RedToothBrush Wed 18-Jul-18 19:43:41

This is from the Guardian live feed:

Theresa May has told MPs that dozens of documents spelling out the actions needed to prepare for a no deal Brexit will be published this summer. Giving evidence to the Commons liaison committee, she said:

"Over August and September we are going to be releasing a number of technical notifications to set out what UK citizens and businesses need to do in a no deal scenario, so making much more public awareness of the preparations. We imagine there are going to be around 70 of those technical notices that will be issued."

The Daily Mail live feed also reported the Peston tweet.

May DID say that UK citizens were to be notified as to what we need to do in a no deal situation, which definitely suggests general public prep, not just for business. It might just be a question of timing.

Mrsr8 Wed 18-Jul-18 19:52:33

RedToothBrush Wed 18-Jul-18 19:54:46

www.byline.com/column/67/article/2206
This is James Patrick on how to get ready.

Its sobering.

AndhowcouldIeverrefuse Wed 18-Jul-18 19:54:52

Does anyone know what food and goods are likely to continue to be available?

This has been asked a few times in several threads and there have been no knowledgeable answers! I have tried to do some research on the Internet but it seems surprisingly difficult.

For example I never thought that dairy would be a problem. I'd have thought of the obvious imported foods like olive oil, fresh fruit and vegetables - remember March is "the hungry month" in Britain, when the winter veg has run out and the spring ones haven't started...

When that report was leaked I drew up a plan of basic stuff we would need for 2 to 4 weeks:
-Medication (one child needs lifesaving, prescription only meds)
-Non-food items (things I don't really want to be without... toilet paper, toothpaste, deodorant etc)
-Food items - long life stuff hopefully covering all food groups: frozen everything, dried fruit, pickled veg (not turnips grin), pasta, pulses, sauces, chocolate, cereal etc. Now I know I need to add powdered milk...

This is to prepare for the possibility of short-lived food, toiletries and medicine shortages or unrest (where you wouldn't want to leave the house for fear of violence). For us anything beyond 2 weeks would mean getting on the ferry to Ireland - I am saving towards that, too. That would be the only option for us if there were power cuts, too.

I see this as a sensible plan B. If everything goes fantastic then I have a stock of food and toiletries to run through - no money has been wasted. DH used to think I'm crazy but now is helping to prepare.

Mrsr8 Wed 18-Jul-18 19:56:01

Hang on...I'll photo the page in the getting prepared booklet....

Mrsr8 Wed 18-Jul-18 19:57:34

Here you go...

OlennasWimple Wed 18-Jul-18 20:05:39

Start getting used to drinking tea and ground up acorns coffee without milk now. Where we live it's difficult to get fresh milk, so we either use UHT (OK for things like baking, awful in porridge) or DH and I just don't have it at all (my preferred approach)

It surely makes sense to stock up on vitamin tablets, particularly the ones with extra iron and calcium, for those of us with small children who really really need that stuff to grow big and strong. (Will there be a Brexit generation of kids with stunted growth, like we saw as a result of the WWs?)

Mrsr8 Wed 18-Jul-18 20:06:39

We use uht anyway

Mrsr8 Wed 18-Jul-18 20:07:23

Good idea to get vit d, vit c and a multi vit

Bearbehind Wed 18-Jul-18 20:07:34

If it's true, I'm actually really pleased.

These notices can't possibly be positive- you generally do not need to prepare people for 'good news'

If this makes reality hit home the bring it on.

ThisIsHistory Wed 18-Jul-18 20:10:39

All a bit “When the Wind Blows”

MarcasiteCat Wed 18-Jul-18 20:11:06

Place marking, serious prepping for this utter and totally avoidable shit storm starts this weekend sad

I'm very concerned about medication. I'm type 1 diabetic and insulin dependant. The insulin's I'm on are manufactured in Denmark. My blood testing strips and blood testing meter are manufactured in Germany. Not sure where my needles to inject my insulin are from, but I doubt it's the UK. Without insulin I will die, that is the reality. TM is also type 1 like myself, oddly enough.

I have started to stockpile my rapid insulin, but only get a small script for testing strips, needles and long acting insulin, so can't stockpile them. If there are power cuts then all the insulin I have will have to be binned as it needs to be kept in the fridge. I'm seriously scared I won't survive this and leave my 4 children motherless, 2 of which are disabled sad

RedToothBrush Wed 18-Jul-18 20:17:55

Sarah Wollaston MP @sarahwollaston
Sarah Wollaston MP Retweeted Robert Peston

My point at Liaison Committee today was that Govt needs to publish a plain English account of the consequences for individuals & families of a no deal, walk-away Brexit, the contingency planning & the costs.

www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/1fd54dfe-ba13-401d-91d5-7ae4724c5feb
Video of the Committee

Wollaston's question start at about 16:01.

May's reply specified the technical notices relate to 'people personally' or to businesses.

She also talked about the end of EHIC cards which could affect people with long term health conditions who would be uninsurable to travel to the EU.

smilethoyourheartisbreaking Wed 18-Jul-18 20:18:10

Posted this before but the grocer outlines where the shortages will hit food

m.thegrocer.co.uk/556960.article?mobilesite=enabled

RedToothBrush Wed 18-Jul-18 20:19:27

So if you have someone with a long term health condition, going abroad in an emergency might provide its own issues - you wouldn't have medical cover.

Hasenstein Wed 18-Jul-18 20:20:55

Mrsr8 Wed 18-Jul-18 20:26:58

I've been stockpiling my children's inhalers and skin creams and my hrt
Dh us asthmatic too but won't listen
I'm going to create a better first aid kit than I currently have

SusanWalker Wed 18-Jul-18 20:28:10

Placemarking for ideas. I am currently working on tins - I have tuna, sweetcorn and peaches so far, plus some pasta. Nearer the time I will do packets and things like crisps and biscuits. Also juice, squash and water. UHT milk and coffee.

I'm also thinking batteries for the radio and torches. Charger packs for the phones, in case we need to contact someone in an emergency.

Meds i will try and build up a bit of a buffer, but one of ds meds is made for him specially every month so not much i can do about that. Basic first aid kit would be good too I guess.

I will have to go quite slowly as I don't have much spare money every month. But I am now thinking it would be wise. And if it all gets cancelled i can throw a huge party and use the food for a buffet. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: