Talk

Advanced search

acceptable names for "private parts"

(39 Posts)
girlymomma Wed 10-May-06 14:04:25

Hi - we are potty training my daughter and have been using the word 'fanny' in lieu of vagina. It has been suggested this term may offend other parents at pre-school. What is an acceptable term?.........saying bottom for everything seems slightly confusing and could cause problems should daughter get sore or whatever on her whatever!
This is a bit of a minefield..........any suggestions?

MrsBadger Wed 10-May-06 14:09:03

[sound of can of worms being opened...]

There are lots of opinions re this on MN - most people seem to use a nickname, but there's a strong anatomically-correct lobby who say 'vagina' for the vagina itself and 'vulva' for the surrounding area.

Personally at 2-3 (guessing she's at this age) I'm a fan of the 'wee-hole, poo-hole, baby-hole' approach as it is anatomically correct (and a lot clearer than 'flower', 'minnie' etc), and the names are easily swappable for urethra, anus and vagina later.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 10-May-06 14:14:48

I like fanjo. But I have no girls, so what do I know? DS1 seems to have settled on "bits" as his term for female genetalia, which is a bit euphemistic, but survivably so, I think ...

Greensleeves Wed 10-May-06 14:15:29

Not this again

VULVA

Geddit?

End of

flutterbee Wed 10-May-06 14:16:46

My Mum always reffered to them as front bottom and back bottom and there was never any confusion.

Also for boys its called a squiggle, God I love my Mum and DH and I use both terms with great succsess.

girlymomma Wed 10-May-06 14:19:19

am ashamed to admit am uncomfortable at the prospect of small child talking about her vagina. Am uncomfortable using word vagina myself which is in itself good reason for using it now................we are a bit strange in England are'nt we!
wee-hole good suggestion and almost a pun.
suppose just clearing throat and calling it a hahem won't work?

sunnydelight Wed 10-May-06 14:30:04

I taught DD (3) fanny. She's obsessed at the moment in working out gender differences and often loudly points to people and says "that's a boy, he's got a willy, that's a girl, she's got a fanny" so I'm so glad I didn't go for vagina. Hearing her say fanny in public a couple of times a day is (very) marginally less embarrassing

suzywong Wed 10-May-06 14:30:25

nadgers
for boys

beckybrastraps Wed 10-May-06 14:32:14

Why would you be talking about a vagina when you are potty training?!

Harpsichordcarrier Wed 10-May-06 14:35:34

<sound of the anatomically correct lobby arriving>

vulva
just because it's a nice word and the right word and no need to get embarrassed about it

beckybrastraps Wed 10-May-06 14:42:57

And you do not wee out of your vagina!!!

Melpomene Wed 10-May-06 14:45:50

Give me a V!
Give me a U!
Give me an L!
Give me a V!
Give me an A!

What does that spell?

Vulva!

mrsdil Wed 10-May-06 14:52:59

My son always says a girls bits their 'rudie' and boys 'winkie'..he is 5.

lunavix Wed 10-May-06 14:59:06

I HATE fanny. It's just an ick word. Don't like penny either.

Here a girls is a minnie, and a boys is a willy (or a wih-wee in ds case :P )

beckybrastraps Wed 10-May-06 15:00:13

A girl's what is a minnie?

lunavix Wed 10-May-06 20:23:30

a girls front bottom is a minnie

CristinaTheAstonishing Wed 10-May-06 20:27:45

Fanny and willy are acceptable in our house.

manitz Wed 10-May-06 20:38:24

we use fanny and willy. although dd has a 'china also.

mine were front, bottom and middle bottom when I was growing up. At that age I'm not sure why we discussed the middle one???

Can i ask is vulva anatomically correct? I thought that was the flaps and urethra was the wee hole. Learnt all my non-front/back/middle bottom stuff off the tampax leaflet and prob not a very good drawing.

firestorm Wed 10-May-06 20:40:16

front bottom for us save the technical stuff for later.

maazaa Wed 10-May-06 20:51:17

i called it a "cot" when I was little.....short for "apricot"!!!!

Tortington Wed 10-May-06 21:04:49

we used tuppence

for boys it was always penis.

Norah Wed 10-May-06 21:09:06

I've said this before - but I never had a name for my "front bottom" - when I was 11 we moved house and my new friend introduced me to the concept of a front and back bottom !

We use front bottom with dd - although she has recently picked up a really cute name for it from an Italian girl at school and that's "Fafalina" - means little butterfly apparently !

Not sure why it needs a name really though !

plummymummy Wed 10-May-06 21:21:23

willy for boy or pee pee and wee wee for a girl

louise35 Wed 10-May-06 21:28:48

Ooh I get a feeling of deja vu here!! We used "tuppence" for DD but now she just refers to them as "bits" even though she does know the proper technical terms.

sanchpanch Wed 10-May-06 21:32:18

Fru~Fru

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: