Talk

Advanced search

Unisex/Gender neutral names - opinions???

(59 Posts)
thecatisdead1 Thu 28-Jul-11 15:21:10

I mean names like
Charlie
Alex
Billie/Billy
Cameron
Cassidy
Chris
Ellis
Esme
Jamie
Jess/Jesse/Jessie
Peyton
Ronnie
Randi/Randy
Sam

And any other ones you can think of.

Are they just girl/boy names mascarading as the other? Does it really effect DC if the have a name that people may think are the other gender?

greycircles Thu 28-Jul-11 15:23:38

It can affect them in some ways - I know someone with one of the above names and he got put into a girls part of the school. I personally don't like unisex names.

Scheherezadea Thu 28-Jul-11 15:46:49

storm ;)

Quenelle Thu 28-Jul-11 15:47:39

Is Esme a boy's name too then?

MrsOzz Thu 28-Jul-11 15:47:56

Esme is alaso a boys name?!

When I read that list they all say 'boy' to me, apart from Jessie, Esme and Peyton, but they shout 'girl' - sorry!

I think Sam is gender neatral, but only because it is usually Samuel, obv boy, or Samantha, obv girl.

MrsOzz Thu 28-Jul-11 15:48:57

I really can't spell today!

Iamkenny Thu 28-Jul-11 15:54:28

Technically (I think)
Esmé is the unisex version and Esmée is female

MsChanandlerBong Thu 28-Jul-11 16:08:32

I really like 'boy' nns for girls, eg Georgie for Georgia/Georgina or Charlie for Charlotte. But I would also make sure I liked the full name (and therefore use that too) not just the nn to avoid any confusion.

I think it is a bit more tricky for boys. IMO I think you can be a bit more creative with girls names, so my tastes tend to be more traditional for boys.

scarlettlips Thu 28-Jul-11 16:54:38

Jamie,
Alex/ Alexis,
Robin/Robyn,
Sam,
Charlie,
Jessie,
Quinn,
Riley,
Rowan,
Ali/Al,
Avery,
Reese,
Ryan?? (do know a girl called this)
Jordan,
Taylor,
Harper blush
Morgan

Cant' think of any more..any good??

Greenwing Thu 28-Jul-11 20:05:51

Evelyn
Lindsay
Hilary
Leslie
Stevie (but as a nn)
Gabriel

- I have known or heard of men and women with all of these although all over 40 or 50 now!

Quenelle Thu 28-Jul-11 20:14:59

I once knew a bloke called Tracy.

Quenelle Thu 28-Jul-11 20:14:59

I once knew a bloke called Tracy.

prettypurpledaisy Thu 28-Jul-11 20:17:35

How about Kim or Morgan? Have known people of both sexes with these names.

shoots Thu 28-Jul-11 20:28:03

DS has a unisex name. I really worried about it initially but he hasn't had a problem so far! I know of someone who has two children of both sexes called Sam.

I know a boy called Kerry, a girl called Riley and children of both sexes called Rowan. I think times are changing and there are lots more gender neutral names around. Wouldn't think of Esme as a boys name though!

TheSecondComing Thu 28-Jul-11 20:34:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chelspa Fri 29-Jul-11 05:49:24

As a guy named Chelsea I can answer the question about whether it affects the child if people think the child is of the other gender. I think it has a small affect but not much because it soon becomes obvious of course (like when you first meet the child) that the assumption was wrong. I did get put into a girls group a couple of times, and was even registered for a girls junior high school (and boys school at the same time). But to be honest yes there are issues but not as much as people imagine and not all the time. For a totally unisex name I think the issues would be even less.

sleepywombat Fri 29-Jul-11 06:21:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RustyBear Fri 29-Jul-11 06:42:58

Eden is another one - I know two male Edens and was surprised when a lot of people on MN only seemed to know it as a girl's name.

vividgingerchilli Fri 29-Jul-11 06:50:52

A friend has a girl called Rowan but I see it as a boy's name, when you look at the name stats for 2010 there were about 80 girls and about 450 boys called Rowan last year.

BuntyPenfold Fri 29-Jul-11 13:38:10

I have a Rowan though, and when I called her it we only knew female Rowans. 6 altogether, all girls. Rowan Atkinson was not even heard of, and when we did we laughed at him having a girly name.
I am a bit sad at the male takeover as I don't actually like unisex names, and it seems so unsuitable - Rowan is a little flowering tree, that never grows very big!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 30-Jul-11 10:02:02

Charlie as a stand alone name shouts boy to me. As a nickname for Charlotte, obviously a girl's but often spelt Charley.

I did know a boy called Hilary and a boy called Kim, back in the 70's.

Leslie/Lesley?

I don't really like them, honestly.

rainbowtoenails Sat 30-Jul-11 12:19:56

Ashley
Lex
Austen/in
Laurie
Lou
Lee
Danny/I
Tony/I
Devon
Tyler
Gill
Harry/I
Jay
Jo/ey
Rae
Moe
Parker

InstantAtom Sat 30-Jul-11 12:23:59

I don't like most unisex names. Sam and Alex are OK as they are very well-known as both boys' and girls' nicknames for Samantha/Samuel and Alexander/Alexandra. Some unisex names I find I can't see as either male or female - they just sound "unisex" and it's hard to think of them as one or the other.

CharlieBoo Sat 30-Jul-11 13:45:32

Tbh, most Charlottes are now Lotties, the ones I know are anyway and yes Charlie screams BOY to me. It always seems a bit downmarket on girls, but that's my opinion.

I also think Sam is more of a boy name now too with far fewer girls being called Samantha and lots of boys being called Samuel as opposed to the 80's. Same with Joe....
And Jamie/billie for a girl is a serious no no for me! X

bagelmonkey Sat 30-Jul-11 13:50:23

I had a female friend called Rowan growing up. And a boyfriend. Also known boy Jody and girl Jodie.
In Cork there are a lot of men called Florence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now