Talk

Advanced search

Crochet Beginner for Woolly Hug

(89 Posts)
SallyLockhartsDog Wed 21-Feb-18 10:36:14

A thread to help me crochet a square for the Chernobyl woolly hug blankets! Anyone else want to join in for a good cause?

I have started by doing two YouTube tutorials by Bella Coco for a granny square but they don't look quite right.

Is a different type of square easier for a beginner?

SallyLockhartsDog Wed 21-Feb-18 10:39:21

@Bookbook "the beginning cluster is 3 chain, 2 trebles but after that first one, it should be 3 trebles"

The problem is with the spoken tutorial i don't know exactly what stitches I am doing, I am just copying her. I then can't look back and see if I have missed something iyswim?

TwitterQueen1 Wed 21-Feb-18 10:39:47

Yes please. I've got bored with knitting and want to try crochet now. I was going to try a hat.

Sally this might be better on the Chernobyl thread? [https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/woolly_hugs/2356815-Woolly-Hugs-Blankets-for-the-Children-of-Chernobyl-Squares-needed]

SallyLockhartsDog Wed 21-Feb-18 10:41:10

Yes Twitter - I was on there but started taking it over!!

So thought I had better start my own. I think the lovely *woolly" is coming over with some advice soon grin

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 21-Feb-18 10:53:08

Hi Sally. This is what I do for a granny square. Using UK terms - a UK treble is a US double.

Chain 4 and join with a slip stitch.

Chain 3 (this counts as your first treble) and then do a further 2 trebles into the chain ring. 2 chain. 3 trebles into the ring. 2 chain. 3 trebles into the ring. 2 chain. 3 trebles into the ring. 2 chain and join to the 3 chain that you started the round with. You should have 4 clusters of 3 trebles each separated by 2 chains.

Slip stitch across the top of each of your trebles until you get to the chain space.

3 chain to start the cluster. 2 trebles and 2 chain. In the same chain space do another 3 trebles. 2 chain. In the next chain space work 3 trebles 2 chain and three trebles. 2 chain. In the next chain space work 3 trebles 2 chain and three trebles. 2 chain. In the next chain space work 3 trebles 2 chain and three trebles. 2 chain. Join to the top of the 3 chain you made to start the round.

You should have a little square with 2 complete rounds of crochet and 4 distinct corners.

Try that and I'll post more instructions in a bit. I'm going to start a granny square myself in a minute and I'll take photos if it will help.

SallyLockhartsDog Wed 21-Feb-18 10:55:29

Woolly I am out with the DC but will crack on as soon as I get home! This is great thanks flowersbrewcake

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 21-Feb-18 11:05:55

No worries Sally I'll keep posting and then you can follow when you have time.

I need to update the instructions above for starting the second round to :

Slip stitch across the top of each of your first cluster of trebles until you get to the chain space.

As promised some photos. Please excuse the vile green colour - I'm making DS a Minecraft blanket.

The first photo is how your work should look when you join back at the end of you first round.

The second photo is the first cluster of the second round.

The third photo shows your work when you have joined after the second round.

Royalsteph Wed 21-Feb-18 11:29:25

Do you mind if I add how I do mine as its different? I've attached pictures of a couple of finished granny squares. I'm only a beginner too.

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 21-Feb-18 11:32:54

Round 3

Slip stitch across the first set of 3 trebles until you get to the chain space.

3 chain to start the cluster. 2 trebles, 2 chain and 3 trebles all into the same chain space.

2 chain

Now work 3 trebles into the gap on the side of your little square. (See photo below) 2 chain.

Work 3 trebles, 2 chain and 3 trebles into the next corner chain space.

2 chain.

Now work 3 trebles into the gap on the side of your little square. 2 chain.

2 chain.

Now work 3 trebles into the gap on the side of your little square. 2 chain.

2 chain.

Now work 3 trebles into the gap on the side of your little square. 2 chain. Join with a slip stitch to the first 3 chain you made at the start of the round.

You should have a square with 3 rounds. The should be 4 corners each with a cluster of trebles on each side of the square.

SallyLockhartsDog Wed 21-Feb-18 11:34:10

They look great Royal!

Woolly I am in a yarn shop - do you think a bigger hook would help? I am using a 4mm at the moment...

Royalsteph Wed 21-Feb-18 11:35:43

Mine are done using a 4mm hook and chunky wool. They just need blocking then they'll be completely finished.

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 21-Feb-18 11:36:52

You may find that doing 2 chain between you side clusters can make things a bit baggy and floppy. If this is the case then continue doing 2 chains between your clusters at the corners but only do 1 chain between your side clusters.

Lovely squares Steph.

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 21-Feb-18 11:38:36

4mm and DK yarn are perfect - they are the recommended combination and it is DK yarn that you need to use for the Woolly Hugs projects.

SallyLockhartsDog Wed 21-Feb-18 11:42:53

Thanks! Will stick with my 4mm!

Royalsteph Wed 21-Feb-18 11:44:11

Thank you (sorry to derail, where can I find the woolly hug information I'd like to help out if I'm allowed and able to)

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 21-Feb-18 11:48:35

Steph all are welcome. The threads are in the Woolly Hugs sub topic in Body and Soul but the usually pop up in Active if you search there.

DropZoneOne Wed 21-Feb-18 12:34:20

Oh mine are different too as I learnt from Bella Coco! I do one chain between the clusters of three trebles and three chains at the corners. My tension is quite loose though, if I did two chains my squares would be very "gappy".

When I first started I changed colour each round. I found it easier to see how the square was building. Just for a couple until I got the hang of it. I was getting so confused between round one and two because it didn't look like a square, but it was round three where it fell into place!

SallyLockhartsDog Wed 21-Feb-18 12:47:33

Which video did you use drop?

I think someone linked to woolly hugs at the top of the page Steph!

The colour change idea is good, at which point do you change colour?

bookbook Wed 21-Feb-18 12:56:30

ah, found you!
Woolly has done all the hard work!
I have found that my squares are more even if I do 2 chain in the corners and 1 chain between the clusters - I think we all have a slight variation on this, depending on your tension , so practise until it feels right smile

Royalsteph Wed 21-Feb-18 13:26:04

I only do one chain in the corners, and three when starting the next row, no other chains.

diamantegal Wed 21-Feb-18 15:54:16

Sally, if you can't get on with Bella Coco, try Little Tin Bird. I struggled with YouTube as well, but her instructions are written with photos, which I found a lot easier to follow.

But be warned, once you get the hang of it, it can become something of an obsession... grin

TwitterQueen1 Wed 21-Feb-18 18:15:35

OMG I've just done my very first granny square! Your post was a kick up the bum OP so I watched the bella coco video and I've just done one (small - need to make it bigger!). I prefer this to knitting! Will crack on again now.

May even put photo up in a bit! I'm so clever, I'm so clever la la la la.. grin

SallyLockhartsDog Wed 21-Feb-18 18:49:23

Well done Twitter 🎉🎉🎉 post a picture!!

I wish DS would hurry up and go to bed so I can get started - he gets tangled up in my yarn like a very cute kitten if he's awake!!

SallyLockhartsDog Wed 21-Feb-18 20:16:12

Is woolly or anyone about?

and join to the 3 chain that you started the round with << how do I do this?

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 21-Feb-18 20:21:26

With a slip stitch. Put your hook through the top of the 3 chain, draw the yarn through the chain so you have 2 loops on your hook and then carry on drawing it through so you are left with one loop.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: