Talk

Advanced search

Would it be unreasonable of me not to 'clap for Boris' tonight?

(457 Posts)
Otherrooms Tue 07-Apr-20 09:34:15

I've just seen this in my FB page.
A local group has shared it.
'Clap for Boris' (see pic) Tonight 8pm.
Human to human, I wish him well & a full recovery but I won't be clapping... hmm

Fivefourthree Tue 07-Apr-20 09:35:47

Likewise

Sugarplumfairy65 Tue 07-Apr-20 09:36:36

I won't be clapping either

BorrestGump Tue 07-Apr-20 09:36:39

No YANBU but it seems he has gained his halo by being Very sick. So I will be surprised if you are not told you are bu.

Lefkosia Tue 07-Apr-20 09:36:41

People can clap for who they like. I don't clap for the NHS but I don't feel the need to start a thread about it.

Bluntness100 Tue 07-Apr-20 09:36:49

Why not?

lifesgoodwithlg Tue 07-Apr-20 09:37:13

Absolutely rediculous, through his in action and wilful negligence he put himself and the people around him in danger. I wish him no harm .

OldUnit Tue 07-Apr-20 09:37:13

I also wish Boris well, have on here and on twitter, but I won't be joining in this virtue signalling, attention seeking bullshit.

vanillandhoney Tue 07-Apr-20 09:37:43

No, it's real virtue signalling nonsense.

It won't make him any better hmm

AuntieMarys Tue 07-Apr-20 09:39:04

I certainly won't be. I hope he recovers, like everyone else who has it. I also dont clap for the NHS, keyworkers or anyone else either.

ThanosSavedMe Tue 07-Apr-20 09:39:16

Someone on our local WhatsApp group has said prayers for Boris. I don’t think so. Whilst i felt far more emotional than I thought I would at the news he's in intensive care I don’t think we need collective prayers for a man. God forbid he does die, they’ll be calls to make him a saint.

VegetableMunge Tue 07-Apr-20 09:40:34

Of course not.

MouthBreathingRage Tue 07-Apr-20 09:40:51

This clap for any old shit nonsense is getting quite worrying, it's becoming too Black Mirror-like.

I truly hope he pulls through, obviously. No one sane would hope otherwise. That doesn't take away from the fact that Johnson is not a good leader, or indeed person. Certainly not deserving of a round of applause because he happened to catch a highly contagious virus after he bragged about shaking infected people's hands no less.

Lockheart Tue 07-Apr-20 09:42:31

He's not a fucking pixie, clapping won't make him better.

I wish him all the best but seriously?

NearlyGranny Tue 07-Apr-20 09:43:03

My question, as with all these events, is:

What good would it do?

Apart from localised morale boosting, news footage and the warm glow of virtue signalling, of course. Pray if you want to, privately or in a virtual group, but otherwise I fear all this clapping just risks immunising people against volunteering to do something useful by making them feel they have done something when they haven't.

It's the doorstep equivalent of the fb Amen or like for a filched picture of a stranger's sick child.

bridgetreilly Tue 07-Apr-20 09:44:12

If people want to clap, that's their prerogative. But there is no obligation on anyone to clap at all. And the more it happens, for the more different reasons, the less meaningful any of it is.

DanielRicciardosSmile Tue 07-Apr-20 09:44:15

Unpopular opinion probably, but I'm getting rather sick of all this. The original clap for the NHS was a lovely gesture, but doing it every week seems more like virtue signalling, especially as people seem to be incapable of doing it without posting pictures and videos of themselves all over social media.

Then over the past week I've seen cheer for shop workers, shine a light for the deceased, dance on your doorstep, and now clap for Boris. How about just staying in the house?

MouthBreathingRage Tue 07-Apr-20 09:44:41

God forbid he does die, they’ll be calls to make him a saint

Unfortunately, I dont think this is an exaggeration. He truly is becoming a martyr to this cause. People seem to have very short memories of what kind of person he truly is. Some of his words and deeds over the years have been despicable, that doesn't magically go away because he's become ill. It's Princess Diana syndrome.....

Patterjack Tue 07-Apr-20 09:44:44

I saw this on fb last night. I won't be clapping. Obviously I want him to get better, goes without saying, but I can wish him well without the clapping.

devildeepbluesea Tue 07-Apr-20 09:45:16

It's fucking ridiculous.

Mind you clapping for the NHS is ridiculous IMO. Never been a fan of the empty gesture.

BrooHaHa Tue 07-Apr-20 09:45:45

He's not going to hear it unless the people clapping are in the vicinity of the hospital he's in. Utterly pointless and an excuse to enjoy a bit of crowd participation under the guise of genuine concern. The clap has become a bit like a Mexican wave at a football stand. People like to be part of something.

Dhalandchips Tue 07-Apr-20 09:45:56

People have short memories

Reallybadidea Tue 07-Apr-20 09:46:03

grin

Mumoftwoyoungkids Tue 07-Apr-20 09:46:32

Sums up the situation perfectly.

MarieQueenofScots Tue 07-Apr-20 09:46:33

I’m so over clapping. The original NHS one was bearable.

Unfortunately as with anything a nice gesture has been hijacked by people intent on shaming those who don’t participate.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »