Talk

Advanced search

Radio DJ Liz Kershaw on #periodpoverty - "FFS"

(107 Posts)
bbcessex Tue 21-Jan-20 21:25:34

Liz Kershaw on Twitter

https://twitter.com/lizkershawdj/status/1219321284405944320?s=21

I am genuinely outraged. "My Grandmother boiled rags".... ergo, how can any women/girls be in 'period poverty now".

For fucks sake. The fact that there really are educated women In privileged positions spouting this crap is almost as fucking sad as the situation itself.

I don't want to sit and listen whilst women in the public eye do more harm than good.

BoredOfTheBoard Tue 21-Jan-20 21:48:18

I dont listen to R1 but YANBU at all. Yay! Lets have the poor girls suffer the indignity that women had to 100 years ago and it'll make a better person of themhmm FFS

PositiveVibez Tue 21-Jan-20 21:48:52

Very sad to read a lot of the 'they can afford big telly's and nails done'.

These comments are from other women too!!!

Makes me despair. It really does.

Sad thing is, if men had periods, we wouldn't be having this debate, because sanitary protection would have been free for years already.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Tue 21-Jan-20 21:50:42

Her granny boiled rags 100 years ago because sanpro didn't exist. Now it does, and is not expensive, yet we have working and non-working families in a developed country unable to spare the cash to buy a pack of pads. It's fucking disgusting.

CaptainKirksSpikeyGhost Tue 21-Jan-20 21:50:56

Can't stand the BBC, stuff like this doesn't change my mind.

bbcessex Tue 21-Jan-20 21:52:05

Absolutely. She's handed a baton to the Daily Mail brigade.

Absolutely horrendous. And now to be using 'you don't care as much about the grooming of young girls' line... bloody hell..:.

Freddiefox Tue 21-Jan-20 21:57:44

She’s lucky her grandma had a stove and a pan to boil her rags, the generation before had to use leaves and mud and fashion their own towels using twigs... didn’t hear them complaining.

Op yanbu bate his type of attitude

jimmyhill Tue 21-Jan-20 22:02:12

I dont listen to R1 but YANBU at all.

grin Liz Kershaw hasn't been on Radio 1 since 1992, Rip Van Winkle

Haworthia Tue 21-Jan-20 22:03:04

Embarrassing. I’m glad someone raised the issue of dignity, which Liz totally sidestepped.

And yes, the people banging on about “I bet they have the latest phones!!” hmm

Streamside Tue 21-Jan-20 22:07:32

Awful, surely it's a requirement in the way that toilet roll is and there shouldn't be any further discussion about it. Our leisure centres and public buildings all have free sanitary protection.
I wonder did she ever go to school with a rag for sanitary protection.

SeaViewBliss Tue 21-Jan-20 22:10:54

Fucking hell, the level of poverty bashing on that thread is really depressing.

People can’t seem to muster up the slightest bit of empathy.

Pardonwhat Tue 21-Jan-20 22:12:34

Sanctimonious tripe.
I haven’t heard anything of her in a long time - is this a case of a bit of a has-been desperate for some coverage?
They say that any attention is good attention...

bbcessex Tue 21-Jan-20 22:14:39

I really don't know... these are some of the tamer supporting comments she's triggered...

enjoyingscience Tue 21-Jan-20 22:19:32

She’s the thickest women in the universe. I’ve had the misfortune of hearing her programme on R6, and think she must have some file on the bosses, given how shite she is compared to all the other presenters.

BearFoxBear Tue 21-Jan-20 22:20:24

Liz Kershaw is an arsehole, don't know why anyone is surprised to hear this from her confused

Thelnebriati Tue 21-Jan-20 22:22:14

Anyone who's happy to see women and girls boiling rags is a raging misogynist.

sickandtiredofsick Tue 21-Jan-20 22:31:02

I bet her grandma also had a duck awful time with the menopause and no hrt but I expect she approves of hrt

Judystilldreamsofhorses Tue 21-Jan-20 22:31:21

I am really shocked by her tweet - I always listen to her programme on a Saturday and enjoy it, but would find it shocking no matter who said it. Some of the comments on that thread are beyond disgusting.

I teach, and have lost count of the number of times I’ve handed out tampons from my handbag - not necessarily because of poverty, but because someone’s been caught on the hop. We’ve had free products in student toilets for some time now in Scotland.

sickandtiredofsick Tue 21-Jan-20 22:31:22

duck......you know what that was meant to be 🤣

DesLynamsMoustache Tue 21-Jan-20 22:34:01

Just pig ignorant, really.

Haworthia Tue 21-Jan-20 22:43:50

I’ve had the misfortune of hearing her programme on R6, and think she must have some file on the bosses, given how shite she is compared to all the other presenters.

I haven’t listened to 6Music in years and used to think the same thing, she was awful. Can’t believe she’s still there tbh. Think you might have a point.

Mrstraveller Tue 21-Jan-20 22:51:14

Yes this annoyed me. Also the women who argue about the price of a box of tampons and go on about how inexpensive they are. Total lack of understanding that not everyone has easy, light periods that can be managed with a single box of tampons ( not everyone can use them anyway - I started my periods at 12 and was about 18 before I moved to tampons).

PickAChew Tue 21-Jan-20 22:54:50

She's in her 60s so her grandmother probably wore a corset, too.

Ginfordinner Tue 21-Jan-20 22:55:59

I don't suppose that everyone who works for the BBC agrees with her CaptainKirk hmm
If she had said this on independent TV/radio. Would you say I hate ITV/channel 4/Capital Radio instead?

Why not tar everyone with the same brush?

user764329056 Tue 21-Jan-20 22:56:49

So bloody depressing to hear this crap

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »