Talk

Advanced search

Is it U to wear this as a wedding guest?

(342 Posts)
GetSetNo Thu 02-May-19 21:27:35

I've asked a couple of people now, it's about an inch of the floor at the back if I'm wearing flats which I intend to later on or with heels, 4/5 inches.

Everyone I've asked (6 people) says it's fine and I should definitely wear it but if I were the bride, I feel as though I'd think whoever wore it was trying to steal the limelight (although, you can never truly upstage a bride).

Is everyone else BU here?

Treaclesweet Thu 02-May-19 21:29:04

If you think that why would you wear it?

EdWinchester Thu 02-May-19 21:30:07

It's very horrible. So yes.

BlueJava Thu 02-May-19 21:30:17

It's really lovely, but I wouldn't wear it to a wedding. I think the skirt looks like you're trying to upstage the bride or bridesmaids. That's just my opinion but perhaps you'd feel uncomfortable wearing it otherwise you'd have just worn it.

lastqueenofscotland Thu 02-May-19 21:30:41

If you think it don’t wear it

Nicknacky Thu 02-May-19 21:30:50

It’s a nice dress but really not nice enough to upstage the bride!

Huskylover1 Thu 02-May-19 21:31:02

I like it. I thought you were going to post a pic of a white dress. It's lovely.

Yabadabadont Thu 02-May-19 21:31:26

Why ask if that’s how you already feel?confused

Biancadelrioisback Thu 02-May-19 21:32:29

How on earth would that compete with a wedding dress?? Eh????

Dishwashersaurous Thu 02-May-19 21:32:49

Err it’s not a massive white meringue. It’s a floral dress.

The vast majority of female guests will be wearing floral dresses.

I don’t see any concern or upstaging at all. In what possible way is it upstaging? There’s no nudity, it’s not white or black or pvc?

DramaAlpaca Thu 02-May-19 21:32:51

It's not a particularly nice dress. And if you even think it might upstage the bride then you shouldn't wear it.

mimibunz Thu 02-May-19 21:33:01

I think it’s an awful style so I wouldn’t wear it.

Redshoeblueshoe Thu 02-May-19 21:33:09

I think it's lovely and perfectly suitable for a wedding

countdowntonap Thu 02-May-19 21:33:11

I suppose it depends what the bride looks like, but I’d be pretty gutted if that could upstage me! Not something I’d chose to wear myself.

Famalamaringwrong Thu 02-May-19 21:33:22

I think it's awful and unflattering and would look terrible with flats on. Dont do it send it back. I promise I'm not being rude or mean I am giving my genuine answer.

SuperheroBirds Thu 02-May-19 21:33:34

I think it is lovely and you could wear it. But, you should wear what you feel comfortable in, if you are going to worry all day, pick something else.

Sexnotgender Thu 02-May-19 21:33:59

I certainly wouldn’t worry about upstaging the bride in that.

puppylovebaby Thu 02-May-19 21:34:19

It's awful! Sorry.

Twotome Thu 02-May-19 21:34:42

Agree - horrible dress. I don’t think that would upstage the bride at all.

Disfordarkchocolate Thu 02-May-19 21:35:16

I think it's fine but it would look better if the back was about 6 inches shorter. Nothing that would upstage the bride.

Hermagsjesty Thu 02-May-19 21:35:17

I definitely don’t think it would upstage the bride. It looks like a fairly standard wedding guest dress to me (in a nice way - I do like it)

GetSetNo Thu 02-May-19 21:35:26

Personally, I love it. I just wondered if some norms have changed? Is it wedding appropriate?

It definitely can't compete with a wedding dress! The bride is beautiful and she's going to look gorgeous but it does look a tad like a train and I don't want to be THAT person. Every wedding I've been to there has been someone who has 1) worn white or, 2) worn something completely outrageous that everyone was talking about it.

lostfrequencies Thu 02-May-19 21:36:44

It's not to my taste at all, I think it's really ugly. Not sure how it would look like an attempt to upstage the bride!

HollyGoLoudly1 Thu 02-May-19 21:37:04

Another one who thought it was going to be a pic of a white dress! I actually quite like it and I don't think at all that it's going to upstage a bride or bridesmaids. I don't understand why anyone thinks that to be honest - because it has a high-low hem? It's just a standard wedding guest dress imo.

Chickenwing Thu 02-May-19 21:37:07

Agree with most pp... it would be impossible to upstage a bride in this monstrosity confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »