Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask owyou would never name a child and why

(593 Posts)
Flyingfish2019 Mon 07-Jan-19 17:36:03

I would never name a child Mia = missing in action. Or Cameron, what if she marries a guy named Cameron and then she is called Cameron Cameron?
Or Claudia because it means “one who is lame“ in Latin.

ChanklyBore Mon 07-Jan-19 17:37:56

You could meet someone with pretty much any surname and have it clash with your first name.

Why not raise your children to keep their names intact, or only change them to names of their own choosing, and then it’s not a problem.

BirthdayKake Mon 07-Jan-19 17:44:41

George
Olivia

Flyingfish2019 Mon 07-Jan-19 17:48:45

Why, birthdaykake?

dontknowwhattodo80 Mon 07-Jan-19 17:51:40

I would never use a name beginning with J.

Sadly I've known several children who passed away and they've all had names beginning with J sad, so it's left me feeling like it's bad luck. Weird, I know.

Flyingfish2019 Mon 07-Jan-19 17:53:54

I know several children who have names with J. All alive and well... but I probably wouldn’t do it too if it’s in your shoes.

EnglishRose13 Mon 07-Jan-19 17:54:12

Lana.

Anal backwards.

tinytreefrog Mon 07-Jan-19 17:55:36

Cameron also I think means hooked nose when it's translated literally. So wouldn't name a child that.

There are loads of names that I wouldn't name a child ever, mostly because I know people with those name that I wouldn't want to reminded of every time I said my child's name.

jojosiwa Mon 07-Jan-19 17:56:55

Nigel

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 07-Jan-19 17:58:47

There’s two women who actively tried to destroy my reputation and relationship years back.
The worst part is, one of them has a beautiful name I always planned to name a baby girl.
Now I hear the name and think “bleeuurrgghh” angry

Anything ending in “-den” ie Jayden, Kayden, Hayden etc.
Don’t know why, it just makes my teeth itch.

I’d also never choose a name in the top 20. My name was very popular in the early 90’s, and I was one of 5 with the same name in my reception class at school hmm Let’s say it was “Annie”. We were known as “Annie A”, “Annie B” etc for the whole of primary school.

GinUnicorn Mon 07-Jan-19 17:59:19

Damn it Lana is now ruined for me! Anal!!

Clionba Mon 07-Jan-19 17:59:26

Jack
Sam
Oliver
Olivia
Isabelle
Amelia
just a bit over used now

DinosApple Mon 07-Jan-19 18:00:26

Orabelle

TBF I've only seen it in a kindle baby names book, but round my neck of the woods where 'h' is regularly missed off the beginning of a word it would just sound too close to (h)orrible.

Also when I zone out I tend to misspell names (think writing Christmas cards).
For that reason we don't have a Viole(n)t or Po(o)ppy.

MissMarplesKnitting Mon 07-Jan-19 18:02:26

I'm a teacher.
Many names were no goes when we had ours, and some of the little shits darlings I taught ruined some names for me.

Cherries101 Mon 07-Jan-19 18:04:55

You think you have it bad? I’m Indian, in just my extended family we have a lot of weird ‘p’ names recently. Thankfully the kids were born in India so as long as they stay there they’ll be okay!

1. Pervart
2. Pinshit
3. Pinky
4. Pinaskin

IdentifyasTired Mon 07-Jan-19 18:05:39

Parker, Carter, Jackson, Grayson etc etc. I just don't get the surname as first name trend. They don't even sound nice as first names (to me).

Also colour names. Blue, Indigo etc. Clearly I've become an old gimmer who doesn't understand the youth.

EnglishRose13 Mon 07-Jan-19 18:06:31

What's the name @MyBreadIsEggy?

Even though I have a lovely friend called Kayleigh, I knew a Kayleigh who tried to destroy my relationship with my first boyfriend (not just her fault, I'm aware) and now the name is ruined for me, even though it's 12 years later and I've not seen him for 10/11 years now. 😂

snowball28 Mon 07-Jan-19 18:06:47

Kayden, Jayden etc - chavtastic

Olivia - beautiful but overused

Sophie - every Sophie I’ve knowns been an absolute bitch

RebootYourEngine Mon 07-Jan-19 18:08:14

I wouldnt name a child anything in the top 20. Or even maybe top 40.

Clionba Mon 07-Jan-19 18:08:24

I agree, IdentifyasTired. Especially for girls - Parker, Tyler, Taylor, Tyson.
A neighbour had a little girl and called her Edith, which I think is lovely.

papayasareyum Mon 07-Jan-19 18:09:31

Francesca.
It's a beautiful name, but I knew a really horrid one at school (she wasn't nice to me) and couldn't use it. The name is forever tainted!

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Mon 07-Jan-19 18:10:16

I dislike the trend of using obvious boys names for girls - so I wouldn’t use Cameron for a girl.

A hell of a lot of names posted on the baby names thread I wouldn’t even consider because they’re so ugly. For example - Mildred. Such an ugly sounding name, if you like Milly use Milly!

Suziepoozie Mon 07-Jan-19 18:10:17

I hate names like Ryder, Mason, Hudson, Orson. I don’t know why, they just hit my ear wrong. I think they’re too “modern” for me..

Also can’t stand traditionally male names for girls eg James. The parents tend to get arsey about people mistaking their girls for boys but - it’s a boys name! I know names change and I’m sure in ten years everything will be more fluid. Hilary/Hillary frances/Francis prove me wrong.

Oh also anything misspelled or that the parents proudly tell you is unique. It just makes life difficult for them in the future so I wouldn’t do it. All for quirky names but spell them properly!

OhDearGodLookAtThisMess Mon 07-Jan-19 18:10:39

Hate the trend some follow of naming a whole host of kids with the same initial letter.

Aside from that, hate Kai, Alfie and Archie. Sorry but am a teacher

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Mon 07-Jan-19 18:11:11

Case in point - Edith as mentioned above. I don’t know or care what the meaning is, it’s an ugly sounding word.

Suziepoozie Mon 07-Jan-19 18:12:14

Oh I forgot my most loathed - Jackson/jaxon. I don’t know why but that name just drives me nuts. I know it’s none of my business but there are about eight million of them at each playgroup atm!

Mumofonetwothree Mon 07-Jan-19 18:13:43

No specific names...but having nursery nurse and teaching assistant jobs you meet some not so lovely children I just couldnt name my child the same as.

Sausagerollers Mon 07-Jan-19 18:14:04

I would never call my kids any of the "white-trash" names, as listed by Mark Wahlberg's character lists in the film Ted.

Two of my friends' kids names are in that list & it makes me cringe every time I hear them!

Justajot Mon 07-Jan-19 18:14:23

I wouldn't call a girl Madison. It ends in "son" so really doesn't belong on a girl.

I also wouldn't go for something like Mason because it's obvious an occupation.

BentNeckLady Mon 07-Jan-19 18:14:24

Matilda. I just think it’s a really ugly sounding word.

Jordan, Jayden, Hayden, Kayden and Chantelle. Not me at all.

chaoscategorised Mon 07-Jan-19 18:14:25

Ooh agree on the Sophies - all the ones I know are awful!

Would never use Chloe (it's a family member's name but other Chloes I've known have been dickheads), anything that was very associated with a current TV show/film character (Arya from GOT seems popular at the moment), or pretty much any name ending in an 'a' (Ava, Ella, Anya, Emma, Nora, Tessa). Oh, and nothing with a hyphen because I hate them.

I have a lot of personal name rules haha!

Zoflorabore Mon 07-Jan-19 18:15:44

I hate the name Emily for no reason.
I don't like the name Amelia due to its meaning.
Hate Cayden, Lucas, Ellie, Ella.

Both of mine have names that are popular but are not tacky.
Dd (7)is only one of 2 in her primary school with her name, ds (15) is the only one in his secondary school with his name but it has been number one boys name for a few years so there are lots of little ones with his name. I was ahead of the times grin

Asthenia Mon 07-Jan-19 18:16:07

Madison is horrible. I also don’t like American sounding names - Parker, Hunter, Ryder.

SaucyJack Mon 07-Jan-19 18:16:43

Any of those overused Olivia/Amelia Harry/Oliver type names.

Doesn’t matter how nice they may or may not be, they lose any sense of purpose when you’re one of 4 in a class or workplace- and you have to go by your full name everywhere you go.

SisterOfDonFrancisco Mon 07-Jan-19 18:17:30

Any names that are too strongly and negatively connected to another person or an event or memory. I'd always just be making comparisons in my mind.

Fooferella Mon 07-Jan-19 18:19:20

Shauna/Shawna - I met many nasty girls with the name growing up in Canada. Weirdly, Shona, which is similar and very common in Scotland where I live now, I think is lovely.

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 07-Jan-19 18:20:08

EnglishRose13 it would be totally outing if I told you the name! Literally my whole home town got wind of the rumours she spread....but at least that’s a thousand-odd people who are also aware she’s partial to stirring the shit pot grin

I also hate the name “Clementine” - often shorten to “Clem”. In my brain, Clem = Phlegm confused

I’m half Polish, and there are some truly hideous Polish names - especially for girls! I hear them and my brain conjures up an image of Miss Trunchbull from Matilda hmm

LynetteScavo Mon 07-Jan-19 18:20:13

Also Claudia.

DH and I both agreed it's a brilliant name....but not the meaning.

Janice and Elsbeth because I just don't like saying them.

Nigel. Because I didn't like Nigel at school.

Fatasfook Mon 07-Jan-19 18:20:16

Grace, there are very few accents that say it gracefully

Fanny, obvious reasons

EwItsAHooman Mon 07-Jan-19 18:21:37

I trust all of you will share the perfect names you've chosen for your own DC so they too can be judged evaluated?

RosemarysBabyDress Mon 07-Jan-19 18:21:48

any name from an ex boyfriend for me, ex girl friend for DH
any fashionable name from a tv show
George, Charlotte or Louis - too many copycats in the years to come!

names I hate for no particular reason: Susan, Sharon, Janice, Kai, Alfie
Any made-up name: Proseco, Crystal

Name from someone I can't stand, so names are very subjective

Believability Mon 07-Jan-19 18:22:56

My absolute worst name of all time is Jaxon. I am not a fan of Jackson particularly but the spelling Jaxon just makes me cringe and feel so unbelievably sorry for the kid who is saddled with the name.

I have a huge dislike for the name Scarlett too, I think it’s just so pretentious and just a bit rough

Fusioluxe Mon 07-Jan-19 18:25:54

Ex fiancé and I planned what to call our future children, as you do. Decided on a particular name for a boy because it was the name of my uncle who died, sort of a tribute. Ex never met my uncle but agreed to the name...

Ex met someone else and dumped me. They had a boy and called him by this name hmm. I often wonder if his wife knows her son is named after my uncle!

As for names I’d never use, my ex’s grin, Aurora (try hard and far too many in nursery) Paulina (have known two, both with mean streaks) and Malcolm (again, knew a horrid one!)

NoFucksImAQueen Mon 07-Jan-19 18:26:20

along the same lines as lana/anal DH has a friend called Isabel and when talking to her the other day I realised... is a bell. I actually like Lana and Isabel so I'm sad they're ruined for me

Flyingfish2019 Mon 07-Jan-19 18:26:50

Belivability And if Jaxon moves to Saxony he will be known as Jaxon the Saxon which makes it worse.
Oh... and i dislike any place names such as India. That’s ankäme for a place not a person to my mind.

PumpkinKitty82 Mon 07-Jan-19 18:27:11

Laura- just so plain and boring .
Also any of the old lady names or the middle name “may/Mae”
Why is it so popular ? shudder

Shodan Mon 07-Jan-19 18:29:21

Karley, Kayleigh, Kim, Katherine (but not Katy), Kylie, Kathleen... I'm sure you can see a theme here! grin. I don't know why, I've always disliked names beginning with K (although I do know women with 2 of the names mentioned , and I dislike them, which just seems to confirm my completely irrational prejudice).

Also Edna, Edith, Bernard, Blanche etc. 'Old-fashioned' names are rapidly becoming as over-used as any other.

Gormless Mon 07-Jan-19 18:29:46

Myra, for obvious reasons.

Pippa-makes my toes curl a bit, for no good reason

Gabi or Gabby- just sounds very ‘clumsy’ somehow.

ScrumptiousBears Mon 07-Jan-19 18:36:58

Anything xxxxx - May or xxxxx -Mai. Over used and a bit common.

Anything misspelt to make it sound unusual.

Also people blatantly copying celebrities. The amount of Harpers in nursery and early school. I'm sure they will say they always liked the name but in reality they probably never heard of it.

In my DD year we have 2 Jacks and 3 Olivers. In my year at school (some years ago now) we had 3 Daniels.

ProfessionallyUnoffended Mon 07-Jan-19 18:39:00

All hyphen-May names e.g. Chloe-May. Awful!

Kpo58 Mon 07-Jan-19 18:39:05

I wouldn't name a child after a place, a surname, anything ending with "son" or a name with a Younique spelling. I also hate names starting with Cl, it's like fingernails down a blackboard to me.

Buddytheelf85 Mon 07-Jan-19 18:41:03

I really don’t like anything hyphenated, especially with -May or -Mae. I also don’t much like Emilia but I think that’s overuse. Know two babies born in the last 3 months with that name!

Waitingonasmiley42 Mon 07-Jan-19 18:41:52

Brian

formerbabe Mon 07-Jan-19 18:43:23

Mabel, Ethel or Alice....still incredibly frumpy sounding to me despite their recent popularity.

Oscar...no reason, just think it's awful.

Sassy306 Mon 07-Jan-19 18:45:21

Any girls name with ray or rae in it..don't know why it irks me but it does, and Colin, I just can't picture any babies suiting that name

CatAnnoyance Mon 07-Jan-19 18:47:28

I have an irrational dislike for Alice. I can't see anything other than the word Lice. Aargh it's ruined it for me.

edenhills Mon 07-Jan-19 18:48:53

Cutsie little girl names, e.g. Daisy, Maisie or Poppy. Ok on a baby but awful on a 40 year old business woman!

thundercats192 Mon 07-Jan-19 18:51:40

Jane - so dull.
Chantelle / Chanelle, Kai, Jayden /Kayden etc... obvious reasons.
Hector - I just think it sounds awful and can't imagine lumbering a baby with it!
Any long name that doesn't have a nice short version.

Parsley65 Mon 07-Jan-19 18:53:47

I was one of three in my class with the same name, so neither of my DC have names in the top 100!
Their names are commonly used though and you'd probably know people with these names, but probably not under the age of 40.
As I wanted, they are the only children in their school with these names {grin}

Parsley65 Mon 07-Jan-19 18:54:28

Oh - and I obviously haven't mastered adding smileys!!

Whoopsies Mon 07-Jan-19 18:55:38

I only read this thread because I knew my son's name would get a mention, and it did 😂

Dieu Mon 07-Jan-19 18:57:39

I don't like Aimee. It's Amy. (unless French and pronounced as it's supposed to be).

abbsisspartacus Mon 07-Jan-19 18:58:27

I've been reading through the names and it's surprising I flinch at names with an x in them which is weird because my lovely cousin has an x in her name but her nickname doesn't so? I'm just rambling to avoid talking to my recent ex which might explain my sudden aversion to the letter x umm I should stop over analysing myself and sleep more often

BananasAreTheSourceOfEvil Mon 07-Jan-19 18:59:54

I love the name Portia but it derives from the Latin for pig. Still love it though.

Pachyderm1 Mon 07-Jan-19 19:00:06

I would probably try to avoid anything that’s been hugely popular recently (Mia, Amelia, Olivia, Ivy, Sofia etc) just because they are a bit overused. I have a traditional name which isn’t very common (I’ve only met a couple of others who share it in my life) and I secretly like that it’s unusual but not out-there. That said I think the above names are so popular because they’re lovely, so I wouldn’t judge someone who picked them.

AnnabelleLecter Mon 07-Jan-19 19:01:59

Old fuddy duddy names like Earnest, Edith etc.
Really over used names like Harry/Jack.
Also boring girls names like Lauren, Emma. I much prefer dramatic names like Valentina, Angelica, Josephina etc.

chuffnstuff Mon 07-Jan-19 19:04:37

@Cherries101, I work with a lot of Indians and have come across many an interesting name over the years. The two that spring to mind are Harshit and Swasticka. It makes introductions on t-cons quite amusing.

RedLife Mon 07-Jan-19 19:06:12

Tom
Dick
Harry

Questioningeverything Mon 07-Jan-19 19:07:50

Flippin HATED the trend of whatever hyphen May/mai. I worked with kids, I can think of minimum 15 kids in the space of 2yrs who have that.

Working in early years as I did I also had an absolute nightmare naming my kids, ended up letting my eldest name my youngest because I got sick of looking at baby names. Eldest chose well 😁 I’d never have picked it, but suited nicely.

Ones I loved was Ralph- wouldn’t have suited my kids, but loved it. Lovely little boy with the cheekiest smile by that name, loved him.
Sick of the Alfie trend. Love classic names like James, George. Loved the religious names too, weirdly when I was pregnant I went through all biblical names thinking my kids name was in there somewhere. Almost ended up with a Gabriel.

Drivenmad80 Mon 07-Jan-19 19:10:12

@Cherries101 I'm really sorry but I just did a really childish snort at your name list! I'm so immature!!

PerryPerryThePlatypus Mon 07-Jan-19 19:11:49

Every Gemma/Jemma I've ever known have not been nice people. Ditto Oliver. Those names have very negative connotations for me.

BubbleGumbo Mon 07-Jan-19 19:12:50

Amelia - Just can't stand the name

Rupert and Casper/Jasper - They just sound so wet.

Apart from those whatever really, although I do think people should sound out names. I know of one couple who had the surname Dick (why they didn't do a deed poll I don't know) They had a son and nearly named him Isaac. Thankfully a friend stepped in and told them why that wouldn't be such a good idea.

Drivenmad80 Mon 07-Jan-19 19:13:29

Neveah..... shudder wink

TansyViola Mon 07-Jan-19 19:15:38

Lesley
Just not keen on the sound of it

SausageSimon Mon 07-Jan-19 19:17:20

Any name that is more suited to being a surname, such as Jackson, Ashton, Bailey.

Or any cutie nickname type names, for example I know a few Teddies and Lotties. It's only my taste but I like proper names so I'd have Edward or Charlotte then call them that as a nickname, not on their birth certificate

Bitchinabonnet Mon 07-Jan-19 19:18:03

Anything hyphenated .
Anything spelt phonetically . There is a poor girl in the year below my daughter called Mikayla . Horrible .

iklboo Mon 07-Jan-19 19:18:58

Janice
Linda
Pauline

every one of these I've known has been horrible

Thurmanmurman Mon 07-Jan-19 19:22:08

Hannah and Sophie. Nothing wrong with those names but I’ve just met some massive twats called Hannah and Sophie in the past!

Bunnyfuller Mon 07-Jan-19 19:23:22

I’m not sure we’ve gone full circle on the Colin/Norman/Nigel/Wayne/Bernard sort of names?

A kid at one of my DCs lower schools was Gracie-Jynx.

Cough.

Crispyturtle Mon 07-Jan-19 19:23:25

When I was pregnant with my first I got chatting to a friend of a friend who’d recently had a baby. Apparently he& his partner had one up with a shortlist of names then he’d been tasked to go away & coneup with the worst possible nickname or insult that could’ve made out of their prefered names. On the list was Jasmine, a lovely name I was very fond of. He’d come up with ‘jizz-minge’.

They’d crossed it off their list, & I swiftly crossed it off mine, andnowany time I hear ‘Jasmine’ I just hear ‘jizz-minge’ grin

HermioneWeasley Mon 07-Jan-19 19:24:34

Waynetta
Frogmella
Spudulika

greendale17 Mon 07-Jan-19 19:24:46

David- purely because of the shortened version, Dave- urgh!

BloomsButtons Mon 07-Jan-19 19:25:28

Lacey. Hideous and not a name for a grown woman.

TheWernethWife Mon 07-Jan-19 19:26:08

Diane Edith is a lovely name imo, the name of Saxon queens. Met a young mother last week, her very pretty girls were called Elsie and Olive wtf

SausageSimon Mon 07-Jan-19 19:26:56

@Bunnyfuller Gracie-jynx made me cringe! The two worst at DS's school are Brax and Lexton. I can't stand fashionable names!

SausageSimon Mon 07-Jan-19 19:29:04

@Crispyturtle I had a friend called Jasmine at school and she had the nickname jizz minge too grin it's a shame because it's a nice name!

brimfullofasha Mon 07-Jan-19 19:29:34

Tristan- sounds like an annoying posh boy to me.

MeredithGrey1 Mon 07-Jan-19 19:29:57

I don’t like when people give their child a “unique” spelling, and I don’t like surnames as first names. So, Jackson is bad enough but Jaxon is even worse.

Pieceofpurplesky Mon 07-Jan-19 19:30:22

Rhyming names. I have taught a few e.g. Lucy Bussay, Hayley Daley etc. Just why.

I am also very conscious of names that don't fit well with speech impediments ... I taught a Susanna Stevens (similar not actual name) with a lisp and a Harry Roberts who pronounces R as W. I have a surname that both of these would impact on! Kids can be cruel.

As for individual names - everyone has a reason and likes that name - their choice.

Catscakeandchocolate Mon 07-Jan-19 19:30:24

Ian - utter sadistic fucker I had the misfortune of working with
Colin - just a bleurgh name and again another sadistic fucker I worked with
Eddie - makes my teeth chatter for no particular reason
Francis - nasty piece of work I went to school with
Any hyphenated names - Dont know why.
Very American sounding names - brooke, Madison, piper etc
Sean and Beau - when I first started reading as a child one of the books I read had characters with these names. I sounded them out and in my head they were Seeann and Bew. Even thirty odd years later my natural instinct is to pronounce them wrongly in my head before mentally correcting myself

MarilynSlumroe Mon 07-Jan-19 19:30:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pinkiepie1 Mon 07-Jan-19 19:32:39

My 2nd dd her name is on one of these posts. And yes I felt judged when she was a baby because of her name, so I used to have to tell the whole story of how she came to be called that...
Ooh my dd1 was there and she told all midwives and everyone at the hospital and by time I got back from theatre she was already named lol. I dont think they needed to know all that but felt I needed to explain lol

Areyouongluedear Mon 07-Jan-19 19:32:43

Malachi
Ezekiel
Isaac
Zachary

Any old biblical name. So try-hard!

Sugarformyhoney Mon 07-Jan-19 19:32:52

Emily- just think it’s boring and really overused.

TrudeauGirl Mon 07-Jan-19 19:33:45

Anything hyphenated. Gracie-May, Demi-Lee.

Hayden, Jayden, Kayden. I can't stand these sort of names. (Sorry to anyone who has chosen them)

Olivia, Eva, Eva -Overused in my opinion.

Archie, Alfie -Same, overused and Archie was the name of my dog.

I like the name Mallory, Suzanne or Dana or for a girl if I ever have children.

Blueblueyellow Mon 07-Jan-19 19:33:51

and Colin haha random. So much hate for Sophie but what about Sophia? grin
I wanted to call my DC an old fashioned name after my grandmother, don't know why, I've an old fashioned name and hate it. OH didn't agree to it and I'm glad now.

Sugarformyhoney Mon 07-Jan-19 19:35:04

Also normal names with daft spellings.. Jaymee, Jorja, Kristell, chevorne etc etc

Blueblueyellow Mon 07-Jan-19 19:36:26

Oh and I have an old fashioned hyphenated name so going by this post it's doublely bad confused

Lifeofsmiley Mon 07-Jan-19 19:37:23

Tyler

HaveAnotherCuppa Mon 07-Jan-19 19:37:27

Amelie- I think it sounds clunky and awkward.
Also Lisa, as I knew a real bitch with that name!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: