Talk

Advanced search

Lunch box police

(322 Posts)
BackToBeingMe Wed 07-Nov-18 09:29:53

Just had a phone call from school and asked if I could go in for a chat regarding dd lunch. She is 6 and in year 2, being in key stage 1 she gets universal free school meals which she has everyday apart from Wednesday. Wednesday is always a roast and the gravy the meat is cooked in gives her an upset stomach. I am irritated as the teacher has looked in dd lunch bag this morning which I feel is out of order if I'm total honest. So the offending item which she has had the last few Wednesday's as there is 10 in a pack is a mini Pick Up Bar. Photo attached for size she has just the 1 biscuit not the 3 that is the actual serving size. Along with the pick up she has a cheese and ham mini wrap with lettuce, cucumber and red onion in, 6 cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks, a pot of hummus and grapes which are cut into 1/4s. I was a bit taken aback just now on the phone so didn't say much at all, now I need to know what to say at by meeting this afternoon. I would seriously think the school had more to worry about than a flamming fun size biscuit. For back ground we moved into this area recently and dd has only been at the school since the September and such rule was mentioned during induction day in July.

Ninoo25 Wed 07-Nov-18 10:07:26

My DD has healthy-ish packed lunches along the school’s own guidelines - a sandwich, a small side salad (if I put it on the sandwich she complains it gets soggy), a piece of fruit and a frube. They’re allowed to take a fruit shoot or something, but I give her water. No sweets or crisps. She tells me other parents give their children chocolate bars etc and nothing gets said. It comes round to her birthday and I put a Mr Kipling lunchbox slice in her lunch with a little note on it saying happy birthday as a nice surprise for her birthday. She came home with it uneaten and really upset saying she’d been told off and not to eat it 😡

WorraLiberty Wed 07-Nov-18 10:08:41

I wouldn't have agreed to go in, to be honest.

I would have asked them to tell me what the problem was on the phone and taken it from there.

Ninoo25 Wed 07-Nov-18 10:09:10

Oh yes and when she had school dinners she was given a pudding every day - they allowed the kids to choose between a pudding and a piece of fruit. I don’t think anyone ate the fruit! They say they’re a healthy eating school too!

BlooperReel Wed 07-Nov-18 10:10:36

I would go with the 'and what was the school pudding today' line. Schools that do this piss me off when they serve sponge cake and custard, muffins etc for dessert, which will have a far higher fat and sugar content than a pick me up bar.

tiggerkid Wed 07-Nov-18 10:11:07

Had the same issue when my son was in primary school. It wasn't a biscuit but it was a small bottle of water with just literally few drops of squash to help him drink it (he didn't like water when he was younger, so I used to just add some squash to encourage him to drink water).

I was called at work and then lectured in the afternoon on pickup about reducing sugar consumption. I definitely felt patronised by the school and, to this day, wish they focused their efforts on more important things. Like, for example, school discipline. Just the other day, Daily Mail wrote about a poor woman, whose 6-year old daughter is so badly bullied at her school that she ended up in a hospital vomiting 20 times in one night from the stress of what she was going through at her school. I was literally in tears just looking at the poor little thing. 6-year old children can't be that bloody difficult for teachers to manage and schools should focus on important matters like these instead of policing lunch boxes!

ilovesooty Wed 07-Nov-18 10:11:10

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this biscuit situation, what the teachers eat in the staff room is irrelevant.

BackToBeingMe Wed 07-Nov-18 10:11:24

I know obesity is a serious problem in the UK but I know from a recent operation dd had she is 40th percentile for height and 35th for weight so the 54 calories really is not an issue to her. I have looked on the school website and it would appear they are a chocolate and sweet free school, fair enough if they (a) follow this rule themselves and (b) actually communicated this when we joined the school. I totally agree this is a total waste of mine and the schools time tho as could of easily been dealt with on the phone.

sewinginmyfreetime Wed 07-Nov-18 10:11:53

Is this seriously something schools do/have the time for?! This is insane!

WorraLiberty Wed 07-Nov-18 10:14:13

If they're a chocolate and sweet free school then despite the hypocrisy, arguing will get you nowhere.

I'd just phone them back, tell them you're too busy to come in and tell them you didn't know the rules.

Rikalaily Wed 07-Nov-18 10:14:44

Her lunch is balanced, it's not like she went in with a choc spread sandwich, crisps, fruit shoot and the biscuit. Tell them you are teaching your child that a healthy diet involves everything in moderation. A small biscuit alongside a healthy lunch is balanced and healthy. Then point out that their offered school dinner that day is much higher in fat and the pudding much higher in sugar than the biscuit. Grapes are high in sugar but they are also high in vitamins and fibre, something that is lacking in cake and custard.

WorraLiberty Wed 07-Nov-18 10:17:56

You can point all these hypocritical things out as much as you want but they'll have heard it all before.

You're not going to get anywhere by arguing with staff.

If you want to see a change, start a petition, get as many signatures as you can and hand it to the chair of governors.

BackToBeingMe Wed 07-Nov-18 10:18:36

Today's pudding is chocolate cake with chocolate custard! How have I got to my mid 30's and not know chocolate custard was an option. All joking aside I am more irritated now I have seen that so bloody hypocritical.

Fooferella Wed 07-Nov-18 10:20:30

Our school doesn't police lunch boxes but they do say they're a 'healthy' eating school. However, the packed lunch on a friday has a white bread sandwich with margarine and either ham or cheese, a mealy apple and a low fat yoghurt. The yoghurt is stuffed full of sugar, margarine has been proven to be bad for you and white bread has the same GI rating as cake when it comes to blood sugar. We don't get the packed lunch option.
If it's the nuts fair enough, although there's no reason for you to come into the school for that. If it's to 'counsel' you on healthy eating then tell them to go get stuffed with the cake and custard they serve in their own school!!

Birdsgottafly Wed 07-Nov-18 10:21:11

I think they'd expect you to take a look at their Website when you thought about enrolling her and that's why they didn't reiterate the no chocolate rule.

If that's the case, then you've got to abide by it.

"I know obesity is a serious problem in the UK but I know from a recent operation dd had she is 40th percentile for height and 35th for weight so the 54 calories really is not an issue to her."

The habit of eating chocolate as part of a meal, is the issue. It isn't just about weight.

School meals are set up the way they are so as many children as possible will eat some part of it. For those on free meals, or involved in after school stuff, school dinner is their main meal.

arethereanyleftatall Wed 07-Nov-18 10:22:06

Aside from the fact it's probably because of the nuts, I never understand the furore of parents complaining about this.
A no chocolate/sweets rule by the school can only be a good thing can't it? Healthier lunch for your dcs and you don't get to be the bad guy. 'Sorry, darling, that's the rules.' Win, win.
Or, as evidenced by this thread, something else pointless to complain about.
Mind, I agree it's Complete hypocrisy from the school with regards to the puddings with school dinners of course, which I would really really like to be removed from menus.

my3bears Wed 07-Nov-18 10:25:13

This is ridiculous! I'm actually mighty impressed with your daughters lunch box content. Mine usually get ham sandwiches smile but can someone tell me do the teachers actually have any authority to confiscate or tell you what to feed your children? Surely not?

Lifeisabeach09 Wed 07-Nov-18 10:25:51

Whatever the reason, nuts or sweets, they should tell you over the phone rather than call you in. OTT.
If it is because it is a sugary product, point out the school desserts.

RhiWrites Wed 07-Nov-18 10:26:26

How is a “chocolate free” school serving chocolate?

BackToBeingMe Wed 07-Nov-18 10:26:33

I don't mind following the rules but maybe they should have been more forth coming with these rules when we joined. And it could have been dealt witb on the phone, "oh Mrs xxx you might not be aware but we are a chocolate and sweet free school so could you reframe from putting such items in xxx lunch please." Over and done with I would of apologised and not given it anymore thought.

Lifeisabeach09 Wed 07-Nov-18 10:27:42

Reading the ingredients, it does contain nuts. That's the likely reason you are being pulled in.

AwdBovril Wed 07-Nov-18 10:28:23

It's probably because of it being chocolate & against the rules. Next time give her a chicolate bun & a chocolate custard pot, they can't realistically complain about that! If they do, refer them to their own menu & say you are trying to mirror it so she doesn't feel left out.

BackToBeingMe Wed 07-Nov-18 10:29:26

Love that AwdBovril

Pigflewpast Wed 07-Nov-18 10:30:21

Surely if they are a chocolate free school they can’t give chocolate sponge and chocolate custard?! And why on earth couldn’t they have told you over the phone, or put a note in her lunch box? Mad

PasswordRejection Wed 07-Nov-18 10:30:26

The puddings they serve at school are very low sugar (and pretty bland) so not comparable to a chocolate bar.

It's also not just about obesity. A record number of children are having to undergo teeth extractions under GA because of teeth decay. Solid chocolate is far more likely to stick in teeth than sponge and custard and, again, has a much higher sugar content. Something like a double decker (however small) is terrible for teeth.

Pigflewpast Wed 07-Nov-18 10:31:19

Oops sorry x post with many similar ones

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »