Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think Yorkshire Police are a shit show?

(136 Posts)
CosmicCanary Tue 13-Mar-18 18:57:19

The recent investigation by WY police regarding comments made on twitter (non threatening and not racially motivated) has prompted me to think about my own involvement with them and the publicised screw ups they have made over the years.

Without researching, what comes to mind is:

Yorkshire Ripper.
So many missed chances. More women murdered.
Womens concerns/alerts dismissed because they were prostitues.

Hillsborough.
Failure to manage the crowd then blame planted at the fans door.

Jimmy Saville.
They knew.
So many raised concerns.
They ignored.
For 30 plus years

Rotherham.
Concerns were raised.
People were silenced.
So many girls became victims when the police should have protected them.

I am sure there are more angry

My own experience was aged 19 beat up by my bf.
Got home and called the police.
4 hours later I was visited.
Female officer refused to write down my statement as I had been drinking. I had but the beating lasted 2 hours before I escaped and I was very sober by then. She also said it was a waste as I would only go back to him. He had never hit me before and I had no involvement with the police prior to this.
No photos taken of my busted lips, nose or black eye.
A week later I was contacted by a detective who wanted to interview me. They had arrested him the night before for a fight in Leeds. When they charged him my complaint showed up.
They came to my work and interviewed me for 3 hours.

He was charged with the fight and my evidence helped but he was never charged with my assault. That was forgotten. Not seen as important. He was given 3 months for fighting over football. I never heard a thing from them.

I have no trust at all in Yorkshire police and feel they need to be investigated.

AIBU?

RedRedDogsBeg Tue 13-Mar-18 19:12:20

Maybe you should research then. Is they aren't all cases for west yorks!

Try south York's instead.....Hillsborough,Rotherham

abbsisspartacus Tue 13-Mar-18 19:13:50

On your experience alone yanbu

NewYearNewMe18 Tue 13-Mar-18 19:14:46

I cant get excited about stuff that happened decades ago.

OnlyTheDepthVaries Tue 13-Mar-18 19:15:12

Yawn!

TidyDancer Tue 13-Mar-18 19:15:53

Honestly I think there are shit police officers in every force, just like there are shit people in every workplace.

FuzzyCustard Tue 13-Mar-18 19:16:00

Whilst I don't dispute that there have been some travesties over the years (and am sorry to hear about your particular case) I expect there have also been some successes in any and all police services throughout the country.

Your post sounds a bit of a skewed opinion.

NC4Now Tue 13-Mar-18 19:17:13

What’s the Twitter thing?
As PP said, lots of your examples were different forces and a long time ago - hopefully lessons have been learned from them.
Your experience sounds bad though.

Buster72 Tue 13-Mar-18 19:17:20

There is more than one force in Yorkshire and you have managed to go back over 40 years covering crimes that occurred across the country.

By all means the treatment you received is very poor. You do have the opportunity to complain but investigating everyone for poor standards years ago seems extreme.

Blackteadrinker77 Tue 13-Mar-18 19:18:53

they aren't all cases for west yorks

The OP doesn't say they are all WYP.

OP, I think all Police forces have very public failings like you have listed.

Under funding, mismanagement, many different reasons. I'm not excusing it just it is more wide spread than just Yorkshire.

Eltonjohnssyrup Tue 13-Mar-18 19:19:33

South Yorks also fucked up the Ian Watkins investigation and missed chances to save the kids involved.

Rightsaidmabel Tue 13-Mar-18 19:20:35

Yawn!OnlyTheDepth Varies. What! How can you? Over the dreadful examples listed? For absolute shame.What is the derivation of your user name? The depth of your indifference to avoidable suffering as a possible consequence of incompetence?

Pinkvoid Tue 13-Mar-18 19:21:25

Yeah they’re pretty shit ime too.

I was stalked by an ex and eventually assaulted in broad daylight. They didn’t arrest him, instead they asked him to join them at the station which he did. He downplayed the assault (although admitted to it) so no charges were placed because it was a case of my word against his hmm and they didn’t deem the assault ‘serious enough’. Bearing in mind he’d also stalked me for months and I had a multitude of evidence to back it up. Completely made me lose faith in them.

RedRedDogsBeg Tue 13-Mar-18 19:22:46

blacktea yes she does

And even so..... why the hell lump random forces together and come up with FOUR difficult cases which may or may not have been full of issues?!!

Op says her own case was ignored,forgotten...... no no no, more like there wasn't enough evidence to convict or thrown out by CPS!

CosmicCanary Tue 13-Mar-18 19:47:57

I never said just WY I just said Yorkshire police. Its in the title.

The examples I gave are across Yorkshire.

My case did not get as far as the CPS Red as it was not taken seriously from the start but I am sure hou know more about it than me.

I am sure there are other forces that mess up in fact I know there are. These were just examples of the county I live in.

Depth thank you for your contribution I hope you feel better for posting it.

My view is skewed Fuzzy but I suppose given my experience it would be.

Not sure why I posted tbh it was just twitter reminded me today of how badly I was treated so wanted to say it out loud I think.

RedRedDogsBeg Tue 13-Mar-18 19:54:13

You said the recent West yorks Twitter case has made you think of other publicised cases by them....you go on to say without researching cases which come to mind are ( you then list cases from other forces)

A bit all over the place

You have zero proof over Saville. You sound naive

CosmicCanary Tue 13-Mar-18 19:55:54

Ok Red point taken.

Maybe this isnt the thread for you today.

RedRedDogsBeg Tue 13-Mar-18 19:59:11

Why? Because I won't join in with some Ill thought out post slating a police force?hmm

Because im not blindly agreeing with you?

RabbityMcRabbit Tue 13-Mar-18 20:02:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

falsepriest Tue 13-Mar-18 20:04:50

Five cases over the last ~40 years. With more than one being subjected to huge scrutiny and review.

IfyouseeRitaMoreno Tue 13-Mar-18 20:10:12

So this thread has already thrown up 3 examples of the WYP failing to listen to and protect vulnerable women and people are telling the OP to pipe down.

YANBU OP. They sound incompetent and I’m so sorry about what you went through.

frankenburger Tue 13-Mar-18 20:15:09

This kind of thing really annoys me. I bet being in the police is a tough, stressful and pretty horrible job. The media only report mistakes. We don't hear about any successful prosecutions. Why? Because it wouldn't make an interesting read. You haven't had a great experience and that is horrible for you. But think twice before you pull apart all the people who work hard and do a good job.

NC4Now Tue 13-Mar-18 20:19:07

You do hear about successful prosecutions. They are printed every day in the local and national media.
There is a lot of good police work that takes place every day, in every force, but it is absolutely right that where standards fall short they are held to account.
Both of those things are a really important role of the media.

ems137 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:21:49

I remember started a thread quite a while ago about what my experiences of the police have been like

I have had quite a few dealings with the police first hand and also with people close to me and I've grown to have no faith in them any more if I'm honest. Where we live they're shite. I'd only call them if I knew for absolute certain that they'd help means if I was desperate!

HyenaHappy Tue 13-Mar-18 20:24:33

What Franken said ^

Im so sorry for your horrible experience but I e got so much respect for the police. This list of police killed in action in the uk is heartbreaking. Not many other jobs are so stressful and dangerous and get as slated by the public/press.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: