Talk

Advanced search

to ask if any of your DC got ripped off at the YouTuber event Hello World?

(250 Posts)
BriechonCheese Sun 29-Oct-17 18:55:16

My DS(13) went to the HelloWorld event yesterday - which was billed as an "immersive event" run by Alfie Deyes from PointlessBlog. (This is probably a TL:DR so in short - the event was useless, thousands of children were crying. The event organisers are ignoring it. Vastly inflated YouTube stars put in minimal effort for the whole event and the special additions for the VIP ticket were changed in the days immediately before the event. Disabled access also a nightmare).

He saved up his pocket money and birthday money to attend and even paid extra for VIP tickets for him and his friend because his friend has been through a hard time of it. This VIP ticket was supposed to give him access to meeting some of his idols (I can't criticise him for his choice in idols - I liked Take That, East17 and Adam Ricket as a teenager). The day before the event they were told actually VIP holders wouldn't get what they were promised but would be given a tour of the event by one YouTuber and they now had to enter a competition to other meet youtubers.

It as a shambles and from the photos my DH took (he went with him) it seemed to be a room full of teenagers milling around having being told their idols wouldn't be doing formal meet and greets (as in the norm with YouTube events) but walking around ok and off during the day - so basically the whole place was gridlocked with people hoping to see someone famous walking around. The youtubers in fact seemed to all stay behind the scenes and Snapchat from backstage.

None of the children were getting what they were promised (rides, chance to bake with their idols, play games with them and loads of stuff) none of them enjoying it or being able to access the "immersive events", half of them were in tears and the other half were angry. There was a performance which was due to last 2 hours but the performers lasted less than 1hr 30 mins and the big names appeared for about 5 mins.

It turned out to be an arena where children paid to enter in order to queue with other children to buy over priced merchandise.
Lots of children were pushed and shoved by other attendees, security and staff - my DH saw one girl being lifted out of the queue having being pushed against a bench by a surge of people.
Worst of all, the tickets said under 14s would be seated, so my niece who also went and is disabled was excited she could attend and feel safe in a seat. It turns out, from staff, that the under 14s rule was applicable to concerts only and this wasn't mentioned before hand. She is able to stand but is in agony today as a result. Disabled access otherwise was a nightmare and many disabled attendees were excluded from 95% of the events (which ended up mainly being them getting to queue to look at stalls that were sold out or areas where they might see a YouTuber but in reality no one showed up).

Yesterday social media was trending with how awful it was and it has been completely ignored by the organisers and "creators"/youtubers both on the HelloWorld social media pages and on their own personal pages.

Does anyone else have DC who came home disappointed from this event? Is anyone else sick to the backteeth of these YouTuber "creators" putting in absolutely minimal effort to take cash from impressionable children?

Zoella, Alfie Deyes, Sprinkle of Glitter, Mark Ferris, Joe Sugg, Marcus Butler, Tyler Oakley and their little gang of white washed, hyper consumerism based idiots are banned in our house hence forth.

MrsPringles Sun 29-Oct-17 19:02:12

That sounds like a car crash - I'm so sorry your DS was disappointed. Can you keep complaining to the organisers and push for a refund?

fridgepants Sun 29-Oct-17 19:02:40

You should complain to their management company, Gleam.

KingPrawnOkay Sun 29-Oct-17 19:06:01

I feel so sorry for your DS and his mate, I'd be trying to get at least a partial refund! I'm in my early twenties so very much the age who 'grew up' with these popular YouTubers but I can't stand them. I didn't go or know anyone who has, but the topic of bloggers makes me sick. There's a lot of things about them that slip under the radar that makes you question how good for your kids they actually are - Zoe Sugg in particular never turns up to events and the rest of the Gleam Team (Alfie, Louise et al) are often reported to sit behind Snapchat like you said, and there's been lots of other times where kids pay to go to these events or for products etc, only things don't materialise and they make it hard to get a refund. Zoe and her brother brought out a clothing range and orders weren't fulfilled for months. Another time last year when all the controversy about Zoe snap chatting herself in her underwear led to underage girls posting photos on Twitter in their underwear in 'alliance' and Zoe did nothing to get them to stop. It truly is a horrible clique and you're doing the right thing by banning them in your house.

Sorry, gone off a bit there, but I truly despise the large majority of vloggers!

strugglingtodomybest Sun 29-Oct-17 19:07:55

Sounds horrendous, I hope they refund you.

BriechonCheese Sun 29-Oct-17 19:09:08

I'm going to put in a massive complaint about it to their management and the venue. I wonder where we would stand with trading standards?

They were promised an event which wouldn't be based around queuing (which many YouTube events are because they are generally meet and greets) and that they would be able to get involved with fun events and really enjoy themselves. Of course my DS wanted to meet them but totally got that it wasn't what the event was geared around and he just hoped to bump into them as they were told over and over again they are likely to spot the "creators" milling around. His friend's relative died and DS very sweetly (off his own back) bought them both VIP tickets with the understanding they would be able to meet a couple of their idols that way.
It turned out to be day of queuing and not much else. You had to be a VIP ticket holder who had entered a (badly publicised and set up two days before) competition to get anywhere near them.

I'm going to plan a treat for DS his friend and my DN because they are good kids who didn't deserve to be taken advantage of like that.

WineIsTheAnswer Sun 29-Oct-17 19:09:34

Bet they come out with a 'it wasn't that shite but we did have some isolated issues, we have learnt for next year. Now bugger off and forget this so we can charge people for the exact same experience next year' statement.

Sounds awful. Why weren't the "stars" doing M&G, was it a decision made by them, were they unaware of the advertised m&g or due to the chaos?

LemonShark Sun 29-Oct-17 19:10:42

This is so interesting, do you have any links to blogs/sites etc discussing more about how awful it was? I couldn't find anything googling other than hype and ticke sales.

BriechonCheese Sun 29-Oct-17 19:13:33

They are on their individual twitter accounts retweeting photos with the very small minority of children who met someone famous and are obviously thrilled. Nothing at all addressing the thousands of complaints.

LemonShark On Twitter if you search "helloworldlive" you'll see lots of tweets from yesterday.

eyebrowsonfleek Sun 29-Oct-17 19:15:50

Just had a look on Twitter #HelloWorldLive seems to be the hashtag and where people have posted who to complain to.

WineIsTheAnswer Sun 29-Oct-17 19:17:39

Ah, just read Kingprawn post, sounds like these YouTubers are forgetting they were made by these kids watching their videos

Gingernaut Sun 29-Oct-17 19:17:46

Facebook discussion is not going well.

A lot of unanswered complaints

www.facebook.com/events/145064912728943/?ti=cl

KingPrawnOkay Sun 29-Oct-17 19:17:56

Have a look on GuruGossiper - very catty place but they usually uncover things that happened very, very quickly. You'll find out exactly what went on there!

Blankscreen Sun 29-Oct-17 19:22:08

I would say it was breach of contract you paid for something which wasn't fulfilled and in theory you are entited to a refund.

How many kids were there that were conned?

If you can motivate enough parents to proceed with numerous small claims courts cases it will be cheaper for them just to refund that have that many cases to defend.

BriechonCheese Sun 29-Oct-17 19:30:49

I think there were 6000 kids there over 2 days and on the first day (according to social media and DH around 1/2 were crying/upset). The VIP tickets were £100 each!

I think we might go to small claims if we don't hear anything back from the organisers.
Queuing in a carpark as "VIP" experience for £100 is beyond my comprehension.

CatsCatsCats11 Sun 29-Oct-17 19:48:05

These big youtubers only care about money and not people unfortunately, been happening for a few years now angry

BriechonCheese Sun 29-Oct-17 19:51:30

I think you're right Cats. DS is into some really interesting YouTubers, particular book vloggers but for some reason really got into this group a couple of years ago.
I think they are vacuous idiots and have really shown themselves up for what they are now.

They will cruise through it though because they will use the "of course some people got confused and it was never meant to be a meet and greet" line. Along with the "some people just want to tear others down, we work SO hard."

sizeofalentil Sun 29-Oct-17 19:56:35

Zoella and Alfie are awful in particular - have heard of them doing similar things before eg. cancelling meet and greets and fan events at the last minute for no real reason.

ILoveMillhousesDad Sun 29-Oct-17 19:57:46

We went to a digital kids event. Same kind of thing. There was a bank of retro gaming stations. Being used by adults for as long as they wanted. Kids queuing up to meet Amy Lee and a few others. It was at event city in manchester and it was an absolute pule of wank. Can't remember how much we paid, but dd was so disappointed.

I did complain and was just fobbed off totally.

I would never go again and would warn anyone off going.

I hope you get somewhere with your complaint.

skustew Sun 29-Oct-17 19:59:38

The whole show has been a total shit storm. I'm on guru gossiper and we all said it would be terrible but even we were supprised at how bad it was.

The sun are writing a story on it for tomorrow.

Complain alot to gleam, give them a one star review on Facebook and keep connected with how the others are complaining m.facebook.com/helloworldlive/reviews/?mt_nav=1

Zoella and that lot have no concept of money as it's all come so easily to them. There were children trampled there and many left in floods of tears.

skustew Sun 29-Oct-17 20:03:23

I'd start a thread on mse about this. You and thousands others should get some money back. They promised fun fair rides and a dancing party on main Street after the event.

Some people spent three hours waiting in line to see zoella and kept being told they would see her to then only be told to get lost by the staff. The ones that did stay behind to complain did get to meet her and that boyfriend.

whyhastherumgone Sun 29-Oct-17 20:05:25

You should screen grab all the website info and marketing promises before it 'disappears' as the complaints mount up...I'd say you have a case for trading standards if they promises rides etc and there were no rides...

bettycooper Sun 29-Oct-17 20:06:00

They're a bunch of talentless twats. Makes me so annoyed they and their management are ripping people off and disappointing kids. Disgusting.

As an aside OP your DS sounds like a lovely considerate young man. I'd be v proud of him. And do everything possible to get a refund - they clearly haven't provided what was advertised.

HaHaHmm Sun 29-Oct-17 20:10:51

Did you book using a credit card? You might be able to pursue a refund with your provider.

LoudestRoar Sun 29-Oct-17 20:17:15

BriechonCheese how were the tickets paid for? If on a debit or credit card, speak to the bank, they may be able to process a chargeback, as the event wasn't as advertised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now