Talk

Advanced search

To be fed up of Instamums

(1000 Posts)
Hmmmmx100 Fri 25-Aug-17 22:56:24

I followed a few of the more well-known Instamums but got weary of the constant daily barrage of brand endorsements. I can't relate to people on £100k a year in Farrow & Ball houses. I just can't. So I had to unfollow em all, every one. AIBU to feel a bit miffed that these people are using the idea of sisterhood to make money? They're not our friends, they're just there to sell us stuff that we probably don't need anyway.

MumIsRunningAMarathon Fri 25-Aug-17 22:59:14

Yeah. It can get a bit much

doozeldog Fri 25-Aug-17 23:01:52

I completely understand where your coming from, I follow a lot of insta mums too and to be honest it started getting me down they are all so perfect with perfect houses and life's, with every child related gadget going because they are given it To endorse. I'm happy with my lot don't get me wrong but I find it depressing because I can't relate either!

ASauvingnonADay Fri 25-Aug-17 23:04:45

I follow a few but recently have found it really cringey when they're parading new freebies around. Mega cringe.

Hmmmmx100 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:04:57

I love my son and I post pics of him on my (private) Instagram account. But I can't imagine taking pictures of him wearing things to make money. It doesn't sit well with me. Not to mention holiday pics, all fully hashtagged and geotagged as per the client's request.

NapQueen Fri 25-Aug-17 23:05:18

You can follow me if you like? I earn 20% of that, and most of my house is painted in Wilkos own brand. I dont endorse products because who the fuck would know who I am? I dont share pics of my dinner except Jamie Olivers salmon fish fingers because they were the dogs bollocks.

But the short answer is no, these women are not your friends. They are business women.

Hmmmmx100 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:06:34

That's it. They're business women masquerading as our friends, frequently referring to themselves as our 'sisters' - that's what I find most troubling.

AdalindSchade Fri 25-Aug-17 23:07:54

Why would you think random instagram figures are your friends though?

firawla Fri 25-Aug-17 23:08:20

It doesn't bother me at all. Good luck to them. However I've never seen people referring to their followers as their sisters so maybe we follow different types of people

NapQueen Fri 25-Aug-17 23:09:57

I suppose the sensible option is to unfollow and move on. It could just be that youve outgrown them.

The only one I follow is Giovanna Fletcher because I am a sucker for that family. I only found her vlogs and who they were probably a year ago, so not sick of it all yet. And I sort of think "meh, if I was offered a free family holiday in exchange for a 10 min video montage then yer, I would do it".

Hmmmmx100 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:10:56

I don't personally think they're my friends at all. But their whole schtick is that they are JUST LIKE US. And they operate entirely on social networking sites, so there is definitely a slightly more intimate (sinister?) angle to it all.

Claudinette1978 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:11:01

Oh I didn't know there was a name for this phenomen : Instamums. I came across some on Instagram...gorgeous children with beautiful clothes, beautiful house and style, the sky is always blue....really can't relate to them...it makes me feel inadequate.

MumIsRunningAMarathon Fri 25-Aug-17 23:11:55

Which accounts were they?

Hmmmmx100 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:14:11

I don't want to start naming names because making it personal to some can be hurtful and cruel. It's more the whole phenomena that I have an issue with, rather than the mums themselves. I just wish there was a bit more transparency in their blatant advertising.

Saysomething88 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:15:02

This just reminds me of the unmumsy mum and her dilemma about whether to start endorsing products on her insta so she can make money to support her family....
I unfollow any reality TV star who advertises the johnsons baby top to toe wash. It's so obvious and I hate Johnsons. I also unfollow anyone who does it too much. But I also like the reality of some posts and some products that are advertised

minipie Fri 25-Aug-17 23:16:16

YANBU but why were you following them in the first place? I have never looked at any Instamum accounts. Or indeed much instagram or social media at all. As a result I am much happier smile. I suggest ditching social media (at least other than what you want to share with real life friends and family) for a few months and see how you feel.

Hmmmmx100 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:16:58

Using the whole experience of being a mum to sell stuff makes me cringe a bit. Posts like 'Just did a night feed, oh wow is anyone else surviving on 2 hours sleep a night? Thank goodness for these green teabags from ..., they give me just the right energy hit I need right now. And these eyebag masks from ... are a lifesaver!'

Maybe83 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:17:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hmmmmx100 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:18:50

When I was awake all night with a newborn, and lonely and tired and vulnerable I might have bought some of that shit they peddle, in the dark wee hours at 3am. It all seems a tiny bit predatory.

Trills Fri 25-Aug-17 23:19:24

Captain Birdseye is not my kindly uncle either.

chocolatespiders Fri 25-Aug-17 23:24:18

Agree unfollow! I always think it's unfair that the wealthy get given things while people who just about manage don't.

Guess it's business that I don't understand!

unfortunateevents Fri 25-Aug-17 23:26:54

I know what you mean OP. I loosely follow a couple of fashion/lifestyle blogs but one in particular where the blogger often wore things I liked changed dramatically in a very short space of time and it was blindingly obvious that she is now being paid to promote certain brands with the result that some of the stuff she is wearing really doesn't even suit her any more and she is just a walking billboard for her brands. She's also now represented by a digital marketing agency which makes her whole "I'm a mum just like all of you" schtick a little hard to stomach.

simpaticasimpatica Fri 25-Aug-17 23:29:54

The Ones who grind my gears are:

The one who does the flex appeal thing bugs the living days lights out of me. Her cause is noble but she's so irritating.

Midwife with the four daughters who's written a book and the husband who's cashing in hugely.

The American mother and father of five who left leafy Highgate and travelled the world, recently settling in Australia. No tv the kids only play with wooden toys. My arse.

Hmmmmx100 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:31:04

They're all just cashing in, cha-chinging all over the place.

FunkinEll Fri 25-Aug-17 23:31:13

I find this social media insta advertising really interesting. Big companies must love it as it's cheap compared to the more traditional route. Give away a few freebies to instagrammers with lots of followers, they endorse your product, some followers read and buy your product.

I wonder what happens with the freebies, are they classed as income that is taxable or are they gifts? Some people get cars!

zippydoodaar Fri 25-Aug-17 23:31:28

Completely!

Almost as irritating as the middle aged women who promote their business through social media and describe themselves as mad..... wacky....... bonkers.......

Makes me cringe.

WorraLiberty Fri 25-Aug-17 23:32:29

I've never heard of this sort of thing

But I can't get my head around the idea that you might have ever thought of them as your 'friends'?

Hmmmmx100 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:33:10

And holidays! One Instamum is on her 7th holiday this year!

Hmmmmx100 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:33:49

Worra I never thought that.

simpaticasimpatica Fri 25-Aug-17 23:34:42

worra

They're not friends. Merely peddlers of a lifestyle that doesn't exist

Sortitout21 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:37:11

*The American mother and father of five who left leafy Highgate and travelled the world, recently settling in Australia. No tv the kids only play with wooden toys. My arse.

This one annoys me as she massively plays down her wealth & pretends to live a very simple existence.

Dozyoldtwonk Fri 25-Aug-17 23:39:00

simpaticasimpatica we need names! I know the second one, haven't a clue who the first and third ones are that you mention.

OP, I agree to a point and I have posted before about my thoughts on one mum blogger vlogger instagrammer in particular who I really feel has sold out to paid promotions/peddling products. However, I follow some of these mums on social media and I find it does inspire me to up my game a bit; which I'm grateful for some days because I struggle like everyone else. They do help me to see the positive side of parenting even if 99% of the time they're presenting a fake image I think, if they can do it and make it look fun/perfect/interesting, then why can't I. Works sometimes grin

Dozyoldtwonk Fri 25-Aug-17 23:40:44

Hmmmmm - I think I know who you mean! And it's her second paid promotion (to go on holiday) in as many weeks!

Hmmmmx100 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:41:33

Where I live the type of mum I see most is women pushing battered buggies laden with Farmfoods bags. Women with five kids under 8 carrying buggies up three flights of stairs to get home. Women that scrape to feed and clothe their kids. And then I see these affluent women on Instagram with their free Stokke buggies and think 'This is wrong'

Hmmmmx100 Fri 25-Aug-17 23:43:01

It's so white too. Which, again, doesn't sit with my experience of being a mum.

SheStoodInTheStorm Fri 25-Aug-17 23:52:25

I'm totally with you on this. Unfollowed all of them. I've even unfollowed Giovanna now.

Was someone mentioning AMR/RC upthread? I enjoyed her blog before she cashed in.

skyzumarubble Fri 25-Aug-17 23:56:32

But they've never been, nor tried to be your friends.

It's SM, take it or leave it.

LadyLapsang Fri 25-Aug-17 23:58:23

It's simple, just don't follow them. Remember, behind the beautiful images, there are likely to be 5am starts to go running, arrange flowers and post.

GreyBird84 Sat 26-Aug-17 00:04:36

I've been feeling this too recently but I was putting it down to my pnd.
Good to know I'm not alone!!

So many ads. And because I'm vulnerable & feel like shite sometimes I think 'that would be lovely & might perk me up' then I catch myself on & realise nothing material will do that & I should really Spend my scrolling time exercising!

Dozyoldtwonk Sat 26-Aug-17 00:05:17

Remember too that they are also mums trying to earn a living and probably feeling inadequate themselves as they try and keep up with the Jones' (their 'peers'). I wonder if there is 'internal competition' (?) to secure the endorsements and get the freebies? Probably. And YY to the smoke and mirrors thing with Instagram posts - cropping, filters, photoshop. A lot of it isn't real. But I like to think it is sometimes as it does inspire me to do stuff rather than allowing each day to pass me by. If it's making you feel that bad OP, unfollow them all.

Camomila Sat 26-Aug-17 00:06:27

I'm slightly the opposite way when it comes to Facebook and instagram...I prefer the 'glossy''idealised' profiles! I pretty much have my Facebook and instagram set up so it feels like I'm leafing through a nice magazine of cute babies, holiday snaps, and baking.

Slight hijack - is there a way of getting some of your photos private on instagram and some public.?

BabsGanoush Sat 26-Aug-17 00:09:48

Are these Youtubers too?

I don't Instagram so don't really know who or what

Dozyoldtwonk Sat 26-Aug-17 00:10:35

Camomila that's what I mean; I use it as a means of escape and inspiration, I don't want to see the drudgery of someone else's life on social media!

And no, I don't think so - it's either one or the other as far as I can see (Instagram) confused

lightgreenglass Sat 26-Aug-17 00:10:44

I unfollowed all of them in one sitting several months ago as I couldn't stand the adverts and shit that goes with it.

I particularly loved it when one wrote about her experience of being poor - that was the final straw for me. If you can afford x, y, z you're not bloody poor.

littlepeas Sat 26-Aug-17 00:11:50

It isn't real.

myshinynewusername Sat 26-Aug-17 00:12:34

Is WIT the 7 holidays one?

What I hate most about most of the instamum is that they often don't declare when they have been paid to promote something. Its high time to extend advertising laws to cover these people.

Dozyoldtwonk Sat 26-Aug-17 00:14:33

The YouTube videos ads are the ones that grind my gears; particularly when you get the sense they wouldn't use the product or endorse it in any way if they weren't being paid for it. For example, they're plugging a baby bath product saying they've used it since DC was a newborn - but you've never ever seen or heard of it in their vlogs before hmm

I should add that I'm currently on maternity leave so watch these things when I'm feeding DS that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

Dozyoldtwonk Sat 26-Aug-17 00:15:47

They are supposed to declare it, Shiny. Yet I think all they need to do is hashtag the post with #ad confused not sure how that works with HMRC and the like.

Choccywoccyhooha Sat 26-Aug-17 01:12:10

I started using Instagram about a year ago, and followed a few Instamums (including those mentioned here), but then I realised that they are all one big clique, and the only women they support are eachother. A midwife friend of mine was blocked by the midwife instamum for questioning something she said (a professional thing), and it all seemed rather Mean Girls: you can't sit with us.
It just leaves a bad taste now, to be honest.

LEMtheoriginal Sat 26-Aug-17 06:54:39

What are instamums? Never heard of them

TinyTeaPig Sat 26-Aug-17 07:18:46

The Midwife is always on holiday. I think she has been on three this summer! And all she has to do it tag the company.

sacchetto Sat 26-Aug-17 07:29:53

100% agree. Particularly the midwife one, shameless advertising and self promoting, with all the sisterhood stuff from the comfort of their own home. I stopped following her when she took a few photos of herself in a bikini and claimed she started a new body positive movement. Such bollocks.

Believeitornot Sat 26-Aug-17 07:33:39

Just follow the likes of NASA etc. Much more interesting grin

Gorgosparta Sat 26-Aug-17 07:37:00

I know quite a few people who make money through their instagram account. Not instamums though.

I think good luck to them. Everyone knows its a highlight reel. And i think good luck to them.

You may not relate to these instamums but there will be people who do. And people who just enjoy pooking at the photos.

If you arent enjoying looking at their photos then dont. Let them get on with their choices.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Sat 26-Aug-17 07:39:16

I know an "Instamummy". With her it's mostly bullshit. I find it quite funny.

coconuttella Sat 26-Aug-17 07:53:03

I wonder what happens with the freebies, are they classed as income that is taxable or are they gifts? Some people get cars!

On the basis the Instamum would be expected to 'work' as a condition of receiving these freebies, they would not be gifts but treated as income and their value taxable as a result. It wouldn't surprise me if some come a cropper with HMRC in the years ahead if they've naively not realised this.

WomblingThree Sat 26-Aug-17 07:53:30

It's a job like any other. I honestly don't see the problem.

Are people really so naive that they think these women (never heard of Instamums) are surviving on fresh air? They are self employed business women that's all.

Let's face it, the reason they have this ability to attract brands who want to give them things is because of their huge following. If you are one of their followers then you have indirectly contributed to the very thing you are moaning about. Bizarre.

Hullygully Sat 26-Aug-17 07:53:39

instamums?

really?

Lonelynessie Sat 26-Aug-17 08:06:51

Yanbu. I see quite regularly a couple mentioned and can definitely say the whole sisterhood thing is bollocks, they certainly don't care about it in real life. It's just how they make money, they are glorified sales people.

FindoGask Sat 26-Aug-17 08:10:07

I'm very glad all this has passed me by. I don't follow any instamums. I am on instagram, but my feed is 90% tattos, 5% powerlifters, and 5% random nonsense.

RiotAndAlarum Sat 26-Aug-17 08:11:19

It's the "cool hunting" technique (give the cool early adopters your brand so others will copy), but for mums, not teenagers.

FindoGask Sat 26-Aug-17 08:12:52

I have unfollowed on facebook though an acquaintance who has set up some kind of life coaching business for other mothers and who has started calling herself a 'mama', ugh. Was there ever a more middle-class signifier. She's always trying to flog yoga mats and talking about reconnecting with herself and something called 'bliss'.

Mothervulva Sat 26-Aug-17 08:22:19

I just had a look at Giovanna Fletcher and was actually pleasantly surprised by how 'normal' it all looked. I quite like some of unmumsy mum's articles, the soft play one is spot on.
Like a pp I enjoy seeing these 'perfect' lives for half a second.

ForalltheSaints Sat 26-Aug-17 08:25:12

Thank you for introducing me to instamums so i know not to follow them. Or to give them another name instaburglarinvitees.

ememem84 Sat 26-Aug-17 08:38:06

I like giovana fletchers insta posts. She seems the most normal of the lot

CourtneyLoveIsMySpiritAnimal Sat 26-Aug-17 08:49:35

started calling herself a 'mama'

I like it when people call themselves a 'mama' as I instantly know not to bother following them.

Aside from that though, why would you define yourself by your relationship to other people? 'Mama to two littlies, wifey to a big man'. Ugh.

simpaticasimpatica Sat 26-Aug-17 08:49:38

sortitout21

I get the feeling their families in America are well off and then they been successful in their own right. But you're absolutely right about playing down the wealth...it's really strange because she was trying to flog boys swim shorts on her website that were £55. She got really arsey with folk who were a bit confusedhmm at the thought of paying that amount for something they could buy in H&M for £7.99

eekmumps Sat 26-Aug-17 08:50:40

I have to say, instamums are my guilty pleasure. Some are more nauseating than others but I'm interested in the products and like looking at the pretty pictures. It's not real life, it doesn't make me feel bad or inadequate as I know it's not real life. My own (private) Instagram feed isn't real life - why would I picture the poo I found on the stairs or the four year old having serious attitude? I have lovely pictures of my children playing nicely together and looking like they love each other (often they're trying to murder one another, the odd photo of me in makeup (I looking fucking horrendous most days!!) and photos of the kids doing interesting activities (no photos showing them glued to the iPad!!). It's just a snapshot of the nice parts of my life and makes me feel happy and positive that they do happen! I'm under no illusions that these "instamums" are always perfect.

TheLegendOfBeans Sat 26-Aug-17 09:01:51

The reason that I stay with one Instamum is that she's a midwife who's worked on a variety of labours; successful and not successful and wrote very candidly and honestly in her blog. That's the primary reason I followed her on Instagram plus her husband is v witty and they all seem very naice middle class people; much like where I live now I suppose.

But since her and her husband's social media profiles have EXPLODED there's been ad after ad after ad; and not even for baby stuff either - computer stuff, travel stuf - and that's what's lost me. The element of relatability has gone. There's now a serious BUSINESS whiff to the account that saddens me; I don't give a shit about supporting small brands - i just have an interest in what life is like writing a book, being an NHS midwife and looking after four children.

It's a shame. Would I have gone for it if I were in the position of that family? Perhaps. But I'd certainly be more transparent and public about the amount of help they must have to have at home. Never admitting to that is probably the most disingenuous thing about that account.

And if you're reading ma'am; keep on doing what youre doing...but read back to the entries that predate January 2016 and understand why that success lies with less promo and more honesty.

TheLegendOfBeans Sat 26-Aug-17 09:04:47

Ps: the vitriolic Daily Heil article about rise of the slummy instamum was bang on the money IMHO. I followed a couple of them, consequently unfollowed. I can't get with your tales of Harvey or Milo being "dicks" whilst you tap way on your Airbook in your £750,000 house in SE London with what I'd wager is at least one nanny. I don't care what you wear and I don't care how much gin you drink.

simpaticasimpatica Sat 26-Aug-17 09:09:55

legend

It thought so too. But they ended up with Birdseye sponsoring them!! 🙄🙄

simpaticasimpatica Sat 26-Aug-17 09:12:42

And the kids are all called things like buster and spike

yummycake123 Sat 26-Aug-17 09:26:47

Choccy That's what made me unfollow the ones I was following. They seemed like one big clique and sometimes were quite intolerant of people who didn't agree with them or criticised them.
What annoys me the most is that they (seem to) have comfortable lifestyles, are probably quite well off, but play the "I'm just a "normal" working mum"... If you can afford to go on several luxury holidays a year and afford £300 day dresses or £80 baby clothes then you have a privileged lifestyle, whether you want to admit it or not. It's this hypocrisy that was making me cross every time I saw their posts, I couldn't relate.
It's not just Instamums though, it's everyone working on social media: vloggers, fashion bloggers etc.
I still follow some Instamums because they're funny or seem more "real" to me.

fivefour3twoone Sat 26-Aug-17 09:37:46

Urgh yep -

mama to two little ones...

Wife to hubby.....

I have never felt possessed to refer to myself as a mama

eekmumps Sat 26-Aug-17 09:40:13

I love Emily Norris. She's given up work now and does it full time (I guess she's more of a you tuber ) but seems very down to earth and normal and grateful to be given the opportunity to stay at home with her kids while also earning some money.

KarateKitten Sat 26-Aug-17 09:45:58

They can't be just like everyone but they are just like some people.

Kickhiminthenuts Sat 26-Aug-17 09:48:15

I have this with my ds trying to explain that the youtubers he watches aren't "real".
Their houses have certainly got more impressive over the years.

What amazes me is the cleanliness of the houses these are ad hoc videos, but the houses are all spotless!!!!

The insta mums I can't knock for making money they've done well, i am slightly envious I didn't jump on the bandwagon. but my house isn't clean enough, my kids don't have posh names and I haven't got anything painted farrow and ball
But the 'selling your kids soul' doesn't sit well with me. I completely get it up until about school age, that's when they start to build their own separate life from you and I don't think it's fair. that said a nest egg for them would be nice

BlackHillsofDakota Sat 26-Aug-17 09:50:21

I don't get why you all care so much? I actually like watching their stories even though their lives are completely different to mine but if you don't then just unfollow.
All this talk of cliques and means girls, you all sound a bit like that to be honest, slating them and bitching about them.
Live and let live I say.

CourtneyLoveIsMySpiritAnimal Sat 26-Aug-17 09:53:21

They seemed like one big clique and sometimes were quite intolerant of people who didn't agree with them or criticised them

The midwife hounded someone off IG for that after setting her followers on her. Left a bit of a bad taste in the mouth.

Hmmmmx100 Sat 26-Aug-17 09:53:34

Loads of posts are ads without being tagged as thus. I hope the Mx Taxperson comes a-knocking...

justilou1 Sat 26-Aug-17 09:56:40

I loathe it all. Consumerism is the new religion. I also have the hedonistic, excessive food instashit. (Like freakshakes, unicorn everything, etc...) It makes me despair that my kids may grow up with those sorts of priorities.

TinyTeaPig Sat 26-Aug-17 09:57:11

Courtney I remember that. And the mum she hounded off is much more like the other mums I know than the midwife is.
I like the midwife and follow her. But she used to be a lot more relatable to me personally than she is now. Though who would do any different if they were in her shoes?

Hmmmmx100 Sat 26-Aug-17 10:03:20

I would do differently. I just wouldn't do it.

ZaraW Sat 26-Aug-17 10:11:49

Step away from the Instamums and look at more interesting things I follow photographers, nature and wildlife who have amazing and interesting posts. Someone trying to show a tiny portion of their life as being perfect is laughable.

FANTINE2 Sat 26-Aug-17 11:21:36

I like looking at the nature type ones too, but I recently got sucked in to the fashion ones, and got quite addicted to some of them.
Some I do enjoy looking at, but others are just so nouveau riche look at me types.
If I see one more GG handbag, I think I will scream. They all have the same stuff! There has been one on this week who has been on holiday in the S of France. Insta stories of Clinking champagne glasses in beach clubs that are the French equivalent of Blackpool. Unfollow .

ThomasHardyPerennial Sat 26-Aug-17 11:35:12

The American mother and father of five who left leafy Highgate and travelled the world, recently settling in Australia. No tv the kids only play with wooden toys. My arse.

The mother is a member of one of the richest families in the USA - they come from immense wealth. I don't know why she needs freebies from companies for her children to promote.

Sortitout21 Sat 26-Aug-17 11:38:26

Simpatico - I have no problem with the family's wealth. The hypocrisy of living a simple life, no conspicuous consumption but then peddling £80 dresses is just a bit odd.

I was an early adopter of instagram & do love it however it's an annoying that everyone becomes clones. All wearing the same bag, jacket, mama sweater, monochrome nurseries etc. All so individual but the same, just like men in E. London with beards, man buns & tattoo sleeves.

I completely understand wanting to make money from it & who wouldn't turn down a free holiday but I'd like there to be more transparency with ads & ideally they would only advertise stuff that fits with their 'brand'.

ElspethFlashman Sat 26-Aug-17 11:46:52

My entire Instagram is made up of Instamummies. Oh god. I don't know how it happened!

I do delete the ones that are just #ad after #ad but I'm pretty sure you only have to declare that when money has exchanged hands. When someone is tagging a baby clothes company with a drawn on arrow in Instastories, it's just as much of an ad.

Most of them seem to literally have no spent one single penny on baby clothes or kids clothes. Not one. You can tell cos they're tagged. "The boys thrilled with their #Hunter wellies" Er no 5 year old has ever been thrilled with Hunter wellies ever in the history of the world.

Hmmmmx100 Sat 26-Aug-17 11:49:21

And they can actually afford Hunter wellies, that's what annoys me.

JackietheBackie Sat 26-Aug-17 12:06:04

I don't like the commodification of their children's lives. The children don't have a choice and might not want their photos plastered over the internet. Saying that, although I am aware of the phenomenon (and especially the midwife as I am friends with people who know her and have worked with her IRL), I don't actually follow any of them.

TheLegendOfBeans Sat 26-Aug-17 12:08:01

Insta stories of Clinking champagne glasses in beach clubs that are the French equivalent of Blackpool. Unfollow

Saucer of milk for FANTINE over there grin grin wink

ElspethFlashman Sat 26-Aug-17 12:08:10

Another thing that grinds my gears is the whole tagging baby clothes and baby products with the "supporting #smallbusiness" excuse. It may make you feel noble, but your feed is still just an advertising channel, love, you're not Mother Theresa.

It's all done ostensibly in the name of "supporting other women". But it just makes you into a magazine, essentially.

HelloSquirrels Sat 26-Aug-17 12:09:37

I can't get het up about it. I can't say that if I had the same opportunity that I wouldn't take it.

HelloSquirrels Sat 26-Aug-17 12:14:30

And all this sisterhood thing is shit. If you really believed in the "sisterhood" you'd be nothing but pleased for them regardless of how they have come by their success.

FANTINE2 Sat 26-Aug-17 12:18:14

Legend,
I can understand what prompts you to make that remark but honestly most French people would not be seen dead there.
Not jealousy on my part. It just makes me smile at how people try to put across an image of a perfect life.

ElspethFlashman Sat 26-Aug-17 12:32:26

I do get a bit jealous sometimes. Mainly of the holidays and weekends away and experiences they get.

There's one Mum (the "zany" one) who has spent the whole summer either at festivals paid for by sponsors or on beach holidays paid by sponsors. And today I see she's at another festival sponsored by booking.com. The kids must be having an amazing summer. My kids haven't had a holiday at all this year. sad

Arsenicinthesugarbowl Sat 26-Aug-17 12:35:17

I have got quite into some of these instamummies lately although I'm a bit older than most of them I reckon. but it is all a cynical PR exercise. It's a job and they do it well.....bought a few things on dress like a mum (she looks great). My husband burst out laughing when he saw me and my daughter said I looked like a parrot!
They need to be aspirational otherwise no one would watch them!
But I also dislike the "I'm just like you" but a casually tousled version and just a bit better. I don't want them to be like me-I like the escapism. I do wonder about the ethics of using kids to make money though. My youngest is 10 and has been very clear she doesn't want pictures of herself on facebook etc
But they are a tiny part of my instagram and I'm a fickle bugger so they might be gone soon.

eyebrowsonfleek Sat 26-Aug-17 12:35:53

My teen dd used to watch a family vlogger on YouTube and I said to her imagine if the child grows up and asks the parents to take down all of the videos. What will the parents do to earn money?
I personally think that it will become a future source of conflict in the family. We know the full name of the children and have access to photos/video of them doing all sorts. Future employers/friends/boyfriends/bullies/teachers all watching videos of you having a bath, arguing with your sibling... I think that many Instamums will end up with kids who feel the same. They will not want their classmates seeing them model Hunter Welles when others are in Nikes and will be mortified when their friends are old enough to share said photos.

ElspethFlashman Sat 26-Aug-17 12:36:51

I forgive the Flex one a lot just because of her changing room horrors in Instastories. She has shown herself bursting out of stuff in H&M. I've been that ashen faced postpartum soldier. I felt the solidarity there a bit.

(Mind you, her advertising power is insane and she'd be blind not to have thought about that. She said who she got her rings from in one Instastories and the jeweller got a massive massive bump in followers literally overnight!)

Imchangingmyname Sat 26-Aug-17 13:17:15

For all her freebies etc, the midwife seems to have a huge chip on her shoulder, hence all the spouting off on Instagram if someone disagrees with her or questions her. I expect the husband is rather henpecked.

This thread is not accepting new messages.