Talk

Advanced search

To think that my mother should not be writing to my GP?

(84 Posts)
witsender Wed 31-May-17 18:41:01

I have got B12 injections every 3 months due to pernicious anaemia. I also take thyroxin, and iron. I am 19wks pregnant with #3, in good health (fingers crossed etc) and having a peaceful pregnancy so far.

My mother used to be a nurse, and is a worrier. She is always on at me and thinking I am ill or whatever, to the point of crying at my best friend before we announced the pregnancy because she thought I was tired and hiding some hideous illness.

That's the background, so today I have an unexpected phone call from my GP who says he has received a letter from my mother expressing her concern that my medication wasn't being managed properly etc etc. He was calling to see if I was ok, and to reassure me my bloods were all fine. Which I knew. Because as a 36 yr old, fully functioning adult I manage my own care. Which I have also told her, repeatedly. He seemed amused and said it was 'very sweet'...which I don't really agree with.

Please tell me I'm not going mad, and that this is too far? Intrusive? I know that if I mention it she will get all offended and I will end up in the wrong.

HandbagFan Wed 31-May-17 18:42:27

Completely inappropriate of your mother and frankly she may need help from the GP if things have got so bad for her.

SunsOutPlumsOut Wed 31-May-17 18:42:34

Bloody hell hope he's not discussing anything with her! Very sweet? I'd be furious! With both of them

Incredibly intrusive and inappropriate. I wouldn't blame you for getting really cross and telling her to back off, in no uncertain terms - but you may have to imagine all the things you'd like to say whilst gritting your teeth in real life, if it would cause too much fallout.

CantChoose Wed 31-May-17 18:45:38

Def too far. I'm sure your gp wouldn't have given her any information anyway but you could ask them to add a note to your record to say she def does not have permission to access your records.
I agree with PPs, sounds like she needs to see her own GP to get some help.
Completely unreasonable of her to do that, especially without telling you!

Crashbangwhatausername Wed 31-May-17 18:45:48

GP was probably trying to be kind about OPs dm, yes she needs to back off, absolutely none of her business, ask her how she felt when relatives of her patients became this involved when she was a nurse

CantChoose Wed 31-May-17 18:46:40

He probably said it was sweet because saying it was batshit could be construed as unprofessional grin

ClemDanfango Wed 31-May-17 18:48:01

That's absolutely batshit! How embarrassing for you! I'd be mortified if my mum did that. She needs help to deal with her anxiety and paranoia.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Wed 31-May-17 18:49:04

It sounds like your GP did the right thing by contacting you to check- s/he won't be able to discuss you with your mother as it would break confidentiality, but if you were having problems and the GP did nothing there would be a lot of criticism. Hopefully as your mother has hit a 'block' now that will be that. You could always tell her you will be writing to her GP about her anxiety issues

witsender Wed 31-May-17 18:51:10

I'm just completely taken aback, and feel completely disrespected. I'm pretty smart but am being treated like a child.

The GP did sound amused/bemused, and I'm certain he won't have spoken to her. When I was heavily pregnant with #1 she couldn't get.hold of me one day so phoned all the local maternity units asking to speak to me until she found one who knew me (I was in labour) and when they said that I was busy she told them I had phoned her but my battery had died, how was I getting on etc. I had told her in advance (and the rest of the family) that we wouldn't be telling people at this stage as I didn't want the pressure. As it was I had a MW popping in to ask on her behalf, and she then started texting my husband every 10 minutes, until he politely told her to back off and she was distracting him.

I forgave that as excitement due to first grandchild, worry for me etc...but this has just blown me away.

opinionatedfreak Wed 31-May-17 18:51:36

Wow! How OTT.

I am a HCP and have written to my grandfathers GP as I felt that the full picture about his health wasn't being disclosed by my bonkers aunt as she was hugely in denial about his frailty and dementia. Her denial was preventing him from accessing services he needed.

I made it explicitly clear that this was for information only and I didn't expect a reply.

BuzzKillington Wed 31-May-17 18:54:04

OMG, I'd be furious. How embarrassing.

How dare your mum do this! I'd be having extremely stern words with her.

Tinseleverywhere Wed 31-May-17 18:57:04

I'd actually say your mum might have some sort of a problem. Like hypochondria but focussing her anxiety on you. Maybe she needs some help herself.

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Wed 31-May-17 18:58:28

I would totally refuse to discuss anything health with her and make it clear she has overstepped the mark , not only is it crazy but i would be furious at the intrusion

ElBandito Wed 31-May-17 19:00:03

Ring her GP and say you are worried about her mental health. See how she like them apples.

SeekingSugar Wed 31-May-17 19:00:06

Can you get an alert attached to your medical records warning about this? I have one as I had a stalker in the medical profession. My GP is excellent about it.

sparechange Wed 31-May-17 19:02:34

Haha elbandito
But yes, do that...

BewareOfDragons Wed 31-May-17 19:06:36

I think you have to make it clear that you are done with this behaviour. Completely done. Tell her that if she EVER goes behind your back like that again, harasses hospitals and midwives for information about you, or pesters your DH after it's been made clear when she will be informed about 'anything', then your relationship will become very distant.

Tell her she is grossly overstepping personal boundaries, and you are not having it. If she wants to stay in your life, she needs to back the hell off.

Gooseygoosey12345 Wed 31-May-17 19:07:18

This is very intrusive but I don't think flying off the handle will help anyone as much as you might want to (and I would too).
I think it's best to sit down with her and tell her that it makes you feel disrespected and patronised when she acts this way and that if she has concerns she should ask you, then if you wish to share you will. If not, she is not to get offended as medical records are private and she should know this! You're an adult and she needs to treat you like one but there are better ways to get there than shouting and arguing with her

picklemepopcorn Wed 31-May-17 19:09:24

Just let her know you are glad she cares, and by the way you'll be writing to her GP to ask them to check on her as you think she may have an odd form of dementia, as her behaviour is a little erratic.

Leeds2 Wed 31-May-17 19:10:27

I would be beyond furious!
Make sure your surgery knows that no information about you is to be passed to her. Tell your labour ward the same thing when you are admitted.
And from now on tell her absolutely nothing about your health/the pregnancy. If she kicks off, tell her to ask your GP.
It really isn't acceptable behaviour.

AyUpMiDuck Wed 31-May-17 19:13:32

elBandito perfect response

stuntcamel Wed 31-May-17 19:15:25

Hypochondria by proxy?

Sprinklestar Wed 31-May-17 19:17:06

How intrusive! I'd go no contact for a while I think.

picklemepopcorn Wed 31-May-17 19:17:51

Ha! Didn't see elbanditos!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now