Talk

Advanced search

To expect DH to wear clothes for meals?

(313 Posts)
Ollycat Sun 08-Jan-17 18:11:52

My dh thinks I am VERY unreasonable about this!

I cook every day for my family and all I ask in return is that we eat together at the kitchen table and that we wear clothes (as opposed to a dressing gown).

My husband likes to have a shower and put on his dressing gown (no pj's just dressing gown) and feels I'm VU in my requests that he not eat supper like that.

I don't expect people to wear anything fancy - just clothes as opposed to a gaping dressing gown.

I am cooking a roast tonight and he is in a strop because I asked him to wear clothes. I figure that if I put effort into cooking food he should make some effort back.

So MN AIBU?

NapQueen Sun 08-Jan-17 18:13:14

Yabu. He is in his own home. And who puts clothes on after their evening shower?

Euphemia Sun 08-Jan-17 18:13:20

Can't he put his pyjamas on underneath at least?!

Gaping?! shock

NapQueen Sun 08-Jan-17 18:13:59

Last Sunday I cooked a roast for dh and the dcs. I wore my onesie throughout

SparkleShinyGlitter Sun 08-Jan-17 18:14:16

If he's got in from work, showered and wants to wear a dressing gown I see no problem with that, I've had diner in pjs/robe after work/shower many times.

If he's been home all day and can't even put on some casual trouser & top on then I guess that's a bit lazy

Bluntness100 Sun 08-Jan-17 18:14:55

Not unreasonable. Some dad bodies would put uou right off your dinner and no one needs to see that over their evening meal. Also teaches thw kids good standards.

TheNaze73 Sun 08-Jan-17 18:15:19

YABU. It's his house

AllTheBabies Sun 08-Jan-17 18:15:26

Can't say I'd have a problem with the dressing gown at all. It's not like he's in a restaurant!

Crunchymum Sun 08-Jan-17 18:15:47

I'm cooking put roast on my pj's (granted they are trackie bottoms and a best as opposed to actual pj's)

MummyToThree479 Sun 08-Jan-17 18:16:46

If dp told me what to wear in my own home he'd get a hmm look

WTAFF Sun 08-Jan-17 18:16:53

grin Gaping? Perhaps turn the heating off. It might persuade him to put some clothes on. wink

I donthink YAB a bit U though

SpookyPotato Sun 08-Jan-17 18:16:57

YABU, people should feel comfortable in their own home. What is the issue!?

harderandharder2breathe Sun 08-Jan-17 18:17:02

Yabu, he lives there, he can wear his dressing gown if he wants

WheresLarry Sun 08-Jan-17 18:17:07

Sorry OP but I think YABU. I just made dinner for me, dw and 2 dc, dw has her dressing gown on and has done all day due to us having a lazy day. Didn't bother me that she wasn't dressed for tea.

AllStar14 Sun 08-Jan-17 18:17:08

YABU

Ollycat Sun 08-Jan-17 18:17:32

Just to add is have no issue with lounge wear type things.

To those who say it is his house - I was under the impression that it was just as much my house as his smile

BosomHoiker Sun 08-Jan-17 18:17:42

You're controlling

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sun 08-Jan-17 18:17:47

No problem with the dressing gown but atleast shove on some pants underneath.

Daisyfrumps Sun 08-Jan-17 18:17:56

Ahh, there's little rational reason for him to wear clothes at the table, unless his chest hair is wafting off into the gravy boat.

I get where you're coming from though. And it not as if you expect formal evening wear a la Downton Abby. But some pride maybe..

JustCallMeKate Sun 08-Jan-17 18:19:10

gaping?. Well, I wouldn't like to be seeing my DH's --meat and two veg--bits if he was sat at the table across from me tbh. Can your DH not at least wear boxers or something?

Ollycat Sun 08-Jan-17 18:19:12

Ok so the majority think I'm unreasonable but a dressing gown at 6.30? Seriously? It's just slobby?!

Doobigetta Sun 08-Jan-17 18:19:16

I don't think you're being unreasonable. No way would I bother cooking dinner for someone who couldn't be arsed to put clothes on to eat it. It's not exactly an onerous task to put on a pair of jeans and a tshirt.

NerrSnerr Sun 08-Jan-17 18:19:52

It's his house, he can wear what he likes. It's your house too so you can wear what you want.

BIgBagofJelly Sun 08-Jan-17 18:19:58

I would say that he should be able to slouch around in his dressing gown most days of the week; I understand you put effort into your cooking but he might prefer a more relaxed meal - I assume you've chosen to cook out of your own free will so it shouldn't be used as a guilt trip. OTOH if you're cooking a special meal like a Sunday roast, it shouldn't be that much effort to chuck on a tracksuit at least.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Sun 08-Jan-17 18:20:03

Meh. Can't see the problem, probably would be better if he put pj's on but I don't really see the issue. If I don't have to go out on a sunday I don't bother getting dressed properly, I'll just wear my fleecey trousers and jumper or a onesie all day. And yes, I'll cook and eat a roast like that too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now