Talk

Advanced search

..to drive from Bristol to Dundee tomorrow?

(19 Posts)
specialmagiclady Tue 21-Dec-10 09:26:53

We would leave at 4 in the morning to avoid traffic. We don't have 4WD, but will be fully prepared to take 20 hours instead of the usual 8.5.

What do you think?

(Kids are 3 and 5 btw)

hairyfairylights Tue 21-Dec-10 09:28:47

personally if it was two adults, I think fine, but with small children, I'd say no. They will be freaking miserable, cold, and if you get stuck, it will be really not good for the children.

geordieminx Tue 21-Dec-10 09:29:33

No probs with snow past Carlisle?

skydance Tue 21-Dec-10 09:29:34

Where are you going? If you are at home now, then that's where I'd be staying, it's really not worth it.

MeowyChristmasEveryone Tue 21-Dec-10 09:30:23

Madness!!

20 hrs? Maybe, or just stuck in the Midlands somewhere because it's not just Scotland that's bad. At the VERY least, can both of you drive? If there's only one driver, DON'T DO IT!

belgo Tue 21-Dec-10 09:31:51

If you don't have winter tyres, then I think you are mad.

mankyscotslass Tue 21-Dec-10 09:37:16

There is heavy snow forecast tomorrow in the midlands and the south!

mankyscotslass Tue 21-Dec-10 09:37:34

If you were gong to do the journey today would be better, though not ideal.

Poledra Tue 21-Dec-10 09:39:15

Today would be better - we were trying to persuade ILs to drive from to us (Middlesborough to East Anglia) today rather than tomorrow, because of the snow that's forecast for Weds. They decide to still come tomorrow.........

Mind you, with small children, I don't think I'd try at all.

scottishmummy Tue 21-Dec-10 09:46:11

i think dont do it

geordieminx Tue 21-Dec-10 09:50:07

Can you set off now?

There are no problems in Scotland

FunkySnowSkeleton Tue 21-Dec-10 09:52:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShesEverSoFamous Tue 21-Dec-10 10:48:03

I'd say no, the road between Fife and Dundee is shocking right now. D just got past St Andrews this morning and had to turn back, that will be my Xmas pressie out the window. Bloody snow!!

TheBrandyButterflyEffect Tue 21-Dec-10 10:50:47

specialmagiclady Wed 22-Dec-10 07:19:21

Thanks all for your words of wisdom. We decided at about 6 last night not to go, based on the fact that I'd been really scathing about people going on unnecessary journeys in treacherous conditions last week!

You were right. Now we can just get on with having a happy Christmas - without stress! (although we will still issue invite to inlaws... yawn!)

TheBrandyButterflyEffect Wed 22-Dec-10 10:25:16

wahwahwah Wed 22-Dec-10 10:29:04

What about London to Stirling tomorrow? Go or No?

Mowiol Wed 22-Dec-10 10:34:50

We have had a lot of damn cold weather throughout Scotland - well below freezing so it's ice and freezing fog that are causing problems just now.
Even the cleared roads have icy ruts etc. I'd stay home safe and warm.
And aren't the Midlands getting a big snowfall today?

Anymajordude Wed 22-Dec-10 10:39:13

We're hoping to go from Edinburgh to Gloucestershire tomorrow. The roads are ok around here at the moment but I'm worried about the snow in the Midlands. We'll just have to make a snap decision in the morning.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: