Talk

Advanced search

What would you personally consider ‘man’s work’ (if any)

(189 Posts)
Smyths Tue 30-Jun-20 20:34:07

Just curious really. I’m a bit of a feminist type and feel like I should be able to do everything a man can and be self sufficient but just means I feel hopeless when I realise I can’t. I often expect too much of myself beyond my capabilities.

What do you personally consider man’s work (if any) and would always delegate/ask a male in your family to do?

OP’s posts: |
LordEmsworth Tue 30-Jun-20 20:35:50

Literally nothing. There are things I can't do, or don't want to do, and will hire someone to do, but I don't specify that they have to be a man.

whitershadeofpale Tue 30-Jun-20 20:39:54

I don’t see things as ‘man’s work’ but there are household jobs that DP does as he’s taller and they’re easier for him (he’s been up in the loft today for example). If something needs doing though and he’s not here I wouldn’t wait for him. Likewise I might sew a button on for him because I am quite good and quick but he would —dare— dream of leaving one for me to do.

Violetroselily Tue 30-Jun-20 20:42:43

Taking the bins out

gonewiththerain Tue 30-Jun-20 20:43:11

Anything to do with drains. I’m quite knowledgeable about drains and plumbing but I’m not dealing with drains myself.

wagtailred Tue 30-Jun-20 20:43:48

I think men are better suited to things that require physical strenghth on average. Luckily we have lots of tools and machines that help mitigate that. (Although some of those tools are made men sized so more could be done) For example there arent many female scaffolders.

Dinosauratemydaffodils Tue 30-Jun-20 20:44:44

All the stuff I don't like doing such as cleaning the bathrooms and hoovering. Actually given that the only people in our house who pee on the floor are male, cleaning bathrooms is definitely men's work (and dh does it).

Dh and I mostly (bathrooms and hoovering aside) either do things together or whoever finds it, fixes it. He is physically stronger and taller than me though which gives him an advantage in some areas, moving furniture/reaching the fuse box without having to stand on something because it's 6 foot something up the wall for example.

GimmeAy Tue 30-Jun-20 20:45:56

The bins, the lawns, changing light bulbs (anything requiring height), heavy lifting, scrubbing saucepans.
I'm single now so I do it all myself and have to pay for a man to do DIY.

pinkcattydude Tue 30-Jun-20 20:46:59

Bins I refuse to do it or I’ll end up responsible for it

wagtailred Tue 30-Jun-20 20:48:53

grinblushi realise you mean around the home. Lightbulbs as DH can do them without standing on the chair. I seem to have delgated drains to him for no biological reason.

CoronaIsComing Tue 30-Jun-20 20:49:07

Heavy lifting.

Ernieshere Tue 30-Jun-20 20:50:06

I need my house painting outside, I will pay someone to do it because -

A) I dont have a ladder & dont want to buy one.
B) I dont want to fall off the ladder.
C) There is no-one to watch DC whilst I am up the ladder
D) I can't get enough pressure on the roller whilst up the ladder to do a sufficent job.
E) It might look shit and I will have to give it 3 coats.
F) I dont want ro sweat my tits bollocks off
G) I cant be arsed.

That kind of rhing!

bellsbuss Tue 30-Jun-20 20:50:48

Bins, diy, light bulbs , mowing the lawn, cleaning the gutters etc

QuestionableMouse Tue 30-Jun-20 20:51:52

Never met a female joiner, bricklayer or plumber. (And my dad is a joiner, my grandad was a bricklayer so I know lots of people in that sort of area)

I absolutely believe that women can do the work but they're not encouraged to for whatever reason.

QuietlyWilting Tue 30-Jun-20 20:52:01

nothing. But I will ask taller members of the family (make and female) to reach for things I can't reach. The stronger of us will do the heavy lifting. The more literate will write the letters. Nothing in my home is a duty allocated based on sex. It might be about abilities and about spare time but absolutely not sex.
BTW my sister in law is stronger than 2 average men, so if I had a heavy job I would be asking her first!

RedRed9 Tue 30-Jun-20 20:52:55

Absolutely, literally nothing.

ThisIsGonnaHurt Tue 30-Jun-20 20:53:39

Bins and bugs grin

LightenUpSummer Tue 30-Jun-20 20:56:01

Sperm donation?

Pleasebeaflesbite Tue 30-Jun-20 20:56:54

My BF and DS took down some old fencing for me with their bare hands and the bonfired it. Very manly grin

Removing spiders with elbows from the house

PAND0RA Tue 30-Jun-20 20:57:22

Nothing.

I’m a 9 stone woman and I do most of the household tasks listed on This thread as for men.

I’m amazed that so many people think this way in 2020. How do you think all female households survive ?

Hiddenmnetter Tue 30-Jun-20 20:58:11

When we got married my wife told me doing the bins was a men's job. This is obviously true, because even if I've worked a 14 hour shift and the bin men have come while I was at work, the bins are not put out.

I presume that unclogging the drains is also a man's job, because despite the other 4 females living in this house having long hair, I am the only one capable of leaning over to scoop hair and congealed soap from the trap into the toilet.

SueEllenMishke Tue 30-Jun-20 20:58:17

Nothing.
We're really need to stop perpetuating gender stereotypes....even in jest.
That is why there are so few female plumbers/joiners etc.

Angelonia Tue 30-Jun-20 20:59:05

I am a feminist and I believe a woman can do anything, but in our household I'm happy to admit that DH is much better than me at DIY. Not because he's a man but because he's very practical and good with his hands.

RedRed9 Tue 30-Jun-20 20:59:28

Yes fair point @LightenUpSummer !

I change my answer from absolutely nothing to just one thing: sperm donation.

BruceAndNosh Tue 30-Jun-20 20:59:38

Our gardener is female and pretty strong.

The only job in in our house I pass to my DH is unscrewing tight lids off jars. But I do have feeble wrists. I do not let him near my drill, electric screwdriver or mitresaw

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »