My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

London's Comic Con pulls Harry Potter discussion panel to keep transgender fans "safe"

79 replies

IwantToRetire · 27/09/2023 01:24

In other papers but behind paywall, so DM version:

The MCM London Comic Comic Con has cancelled a planned Harry Potter themed panel from its October event after an LGBT group claimed it would not be a 'safe and inclusive environment'.

Activists from the LGBT group Switchboard threatened to pull out of hosting the first pride lounge if the panel was allowed to partake in the event due to author JK Rowling's historical 'transphobic' remarks. 

The National LGBTQIA+ helpline claimed they had been 'compelled to express their concerns about the potential impact on the community' the panel would have in relation to 'trans individuals.'

It said that the panel's presence would not equate to MCM Comic Con providing the 'safe and inclusive environment' that it had promised but others have argued that the event's decision to cancel is a 'capitulation.'

The group claimed that Comic Con had been 'receptive' to its concerns and that their own space at the event would be a 'sanctuary' where LGBTQIA+ people could 'connect with one another, and recharge during the event.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12561031/Londons-Comic-pulls-Harry-Potter-discussion-panel-LGBTQ-charity-complained-potential-impact-trans-individuals-following-backlash-author-JK-Rowling-trans-views.html

Comic Con pulls Harry Potter panel after LGBT complaint

Activists from the LGBT group Switchboard threatened to pull out of London's MCM Comic Con if a Harry Potter themed panel was allowed to partake in the event.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12561031/Londons-Comic-pulls-Harry-Potter-discussion-panel-LGBTQ-charity-complained-potential-impact-trans-individuals-following-backlash-author-JK-Rowling-trans-views.html

OP posts:
RichardArmitagesWife · 27/09/2023 17:17

WickedSerious · 27/09/2023 16:54

Thought criminals.

Officer! Officer! That woman is having a wrong thought! Arrest her.

viques · 27/09/2023 17:24

It’s like those brave souls in University Quadball teams, who play a made up game that doesn’t really work unless you can fly on a broomstick and have balls that can propel themselves around an arena……… but my goodness me, it’s nothing to do with JKR, no nothing at all.

Waitwhat23 · 27/09/2023 17:28

RichardArmitagesWife · 27/09/2023 17:17

Officer! Officer! That woman is having a wrong thought! Arrest her.

I think this is one of Birdy Roses'

London's Comic Con pulls Harry Potter discussion panel to keep transgender fans "safe"
Maerchentante · 27/09/2023 18:21

I get the need for safe spaces (where warranted), but not the constant call for them. These so very often come from children and young adults who had every single obstacle in their life so far removed for them by adults.
A comic con panel most certainly does not warrant safe spaces.

EmpressaurusOfCats · 27/09/2023 18:28

And are they going to keep women & girls safe by having single sex toilets & saying that anyone who uses the wrong toilet will be thrown out?

Rhetorical question.

BaronMunchausen · 27/09/2023 20:44

Presumably Comic Con will publish their formal Risk Analysis setting out the dangers presented by Harry Potter or discussion thereof.

Froodwithatowel · 27/09/2023 20:49

I do increasingly think the answer is probably some kind of creche chain, run by kind people. and then the rest of us could just get on without this constant tedious crap

Zodfa · 27/09/2023 21:09

I thought Pride was supposed to be about standing up to persecution? Not pulling out because of how scared you are.

Dwappy · 27/09/2023 21:11

EmpressaurusOfCats · 27/09/2023 18:28

And are they going to keep women & girls safe by having single sex toilets & saying that anyone who uses the wrong toilet will be thrown out?

Rhetorical question.

A bit different but toilet related. A year or so ago at a different comic con there was a Facebook post showing the layout of the event. Someone commented underneath (in a very aggressive writing style) that they were disgusted that there wasn't any gender neutral toilets for non binary people like them and they were very upset at how it wasn't an inclusive event and they were going to complain to somebody or other and that events shouldn't be allowed to run unless they're inclusive.... etc etc etc (it was a long rant). The event simply commented underneath with "the gender neutral toilets are on the ground floor."
Strangely enough the ranter didn't bother replying again. It made me laugh anyway at the time! These people just go out of their way to look for something to be offended by.

SaffronSpice · 27/09/2023 21:42

Isn’t amazing how many people you must exclude in order to be truly ‘inclusive’?

IwantToRetire · 28/09/2023 00:05

I suspect nobody felt or thought they would be unsafe.

Just an underhand way for an organisation to aggrandise itself, but more than anything continue to bad mouth a woman who is happily, and by her own work, independent.

Its so clearly aimed at further propogating the myth against JKR as the witch incarnate, because as commentators on this thread have shown there are other panels that they should be concerned about.

Although its great that the DM etc.,keeps us up to date with the batshitery, am beginning to think they need to make their headlines less shouty and a bit more sticking a pin in the fantasy balloon of these type of actions.

I am sure many on FWR could help them write a short put down.

OP posts:
BlurredEdges · 28/09/2023 00:08

I was going to buy tickets for this for my whole family so we could go to the Ghosts panel. Forget it, not going now. Glad I didn't get round to checking out my basket.

Whyisegg · 28/09/2023 02:10

What is shocking and to me deeply disturbing about this whole narrative is the complete and utter lack of awareness of how most of the world operates. The vast majority of people on this planet live in extreme poverty. How anyone can consider themselves 'unsafe' from a position of such privilege is appalling. This lack of awareness and connection to the world we all live in is deeply disturbing.

Pocodaku · 28/09/2023 02:20

This pandering to a small fascist minority has got to stop. It’s unbearable, coming on top of the American Anthropologists Association conference cancelling a panel of papers all based on the importance of biological sex. All internationally well-regarded scholars in their field, whose abstracts had already been accepted!

Whyisegg · 28/09/2023 03:24

To acknowledge the fundamental importance of biological sex would be to address the individual requirements of all human beings - that is, men and women. This narrative is merely sexism dressed up for a new generation, and therefore will not be questioned

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 28/09/2023 07:13

Pocodaku · 28/09/2023 02:20

This pandering to a small fascist minority has got to stop. It’s unbearable, coming on top of the American Anthropologists Association conference cancelling a panel of papers all based on the importance of biological sex. All internationally well-regarded scholars in their field, whose abstracts had already been accepted!

Just had to google this as I couldn't quite believe it - anthropologists, who literally study humans, prevented from discussing biological sex?! But it's true:

retractionwatch.com/2023/09/27/anthropology-groups-cancel-conference-panel-on-why-biological-sex-is-necessary-for-research/

Brilliant response from Professor Katherine Lowrey though: "Your suggestion that our panel would somehow compromise “…the scientific integrity of the programme” seems to us particularly egregious, as the decision to anathematize our panel looks very much like an anti-science response to a politicized lobbying campaign. Had our panel been allowed to go forward, we can assure you that lively contestation would have been welcomed by the panelists and may even have occurred between us, as our own political commitments are diverse. Instead, your letter expresses the alarming hope that the AAA and CASCA will become “more unified within each of our associations” to avoid future debates. Most disturbingly, following other organizations, such as the Society for American Archaeology, the AAA and CASCA have promised that “Going forward, we will undertake a major review of the processes associated with vetting sessions at our annual meetings and will include our leadership in that discussion.” Anthropologists around the world will quite rightly find chilling this declaration of war on dissent and on scholarly controversy. It is a profound betrayal of the AAA’s principle of “advancing human understanding and applying this understanding to the world’s most pressing problems”.

Whyisegg · 28/09/2023 07:18

Speaks for itself - if anyone was in any doubt regarding which way the status quo was leaning

MyLadyDisdainlsYetLiving · 28/09/2023 08:06

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 28/09/2023 07:13

Just had to google this as I couldn't quite believe it - anthropologists, who literally study humans, prevented from discussing biological sex?! But it's true:

retractionwatch.com/2023/09/27/anthropology-groups-cancel-conference-panel-on-why-biological-sex-is-necessary-for-research/

Brilliant response from Professor Katherine Lowrey though: "Your suggestion that our panel would somehow compromise “…the scientific integrity of the programme” seems to us particularly egregious, as the decision to anathematize our panel looks very much like an anti-science response to a politicized lobbying campaign. Had our panel been allowed to go forward, we can assure you that lively contestation would have been welcomed by the panelists and may even have occurred between us, as our own political commitments are diverse. Instead, your letter expresses the alarming hope that the AAA and CASCA will become “more unified within each of our associations” to avoid future debates. Most disturbingly, following other organizations, such as the Society for American Archaeology, the AAA and CASCA have promised that “Going forward, we will undertake a major review of the processes associated with vetting sessions at our annual meetings and will include our leadership in that discussion.” Anthropologists around the world will quite rightly find chilling this declaration of war on dissent and on scholarly controversy. It is a profound betrayal of the AAA’s principle of “advancing human understanding and applying this understanding to the world’s most pressing problems”.

Thread here on the anthropology issue. https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/womens_rights/4906809-sex-is-irrelevant-in-anthropology?reply=129500875

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 28/09/2023 09:32

Thank you - should have looked here first!

fromorbit · 28/09/2023 10:11

I still can't get over the fact that the Shibari [rope bondage] workshop which is going ahead is apparently SAFER than a panel about a HP play.

Thelnebriati · 28/09/2023 12:15

This is a fixable problem - we just put a Harry Potter sign on the door. Voila!

EmpressaurusOfCats · 28/09/2023 12:53

Thelnebriati · 28/09/2023 12:15

This is a fixable problem - we just put a Harry Potter sign on the door. Voila!

Genius!!!!

Startingagainandagain · 28/09/2023 12:54

Silly in the extreme.

All the organisers needed to say is that the panel is about the Harry Potter universe and has nothing whatsoever to do with the author's personal views.

This is just censorship.

Startingagainandagain · 28/09/2023 12:57

I should have added that I don't alway agree with JKR but I believe she has an absolute right to express her views.

People need to remember that debate is healthy but that cancel culture/censorship are not...

This behaviour really needs to stop being indulged.

SnackQueen · 28/09/2023 19:37

FFS

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.