My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

London's Comic Con pulls Harry Potter discussion panel to keep transgender fans "safe"

79 replies

IwantToRetire · 27/09/2023 01:24

In other papers but behind paywall, so DM version:

The MCM London Comic Comic Con has cancelled a planned Harry Potter themed panel from its October event after an LGBT group claimed it would not be a 'safe and inclusive environment'.

Activists from the LGBT group Switchboard threatened to pull out of hosting the first pride lounge if the panel was allowed to partake in the event due to author JK Rowling's historical 'transphobic' remarks. 

The National LGBTQIA+ helpline claimed they had been 'compelled to express their concerns about the potential impact on the community' the panel would have in relation to 'trans individuals.'

It said that the panel's presence would not equate to MCM Comic Con providing the 'safe and inclusive environment' that it had promised but others have argued that the event's decision to cancel is a 'capitulation.'

The group claimed that Comic Con had been 'receptive' to its concerns and that their own space at the event would be a 'sanctuary' where LGBTQIA+ people could 'connect with one another, and recharge during the event.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12561031/Londons-Comic-pulls-Harry-Potter-discussion-panel-LGBTQ-charity-complained-potential-impact-trans-individuals-following-backlash-author-JK-Rowling-trans-views.html

Comic Con pulls Harry Potter panel after LGBT complaint

Activists from the LGBT group Switchboard threatened to pull out of London's MCM Comic Con if a Harry Potter themed panel was allowed to partake in the event.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12561031/Londons-Comic-pulls-Harry-Potter-discussion-panel-LGBTQ-charity-complained-potential-impact-trans-individuals-following-backlash-author-JK-Rowling-trans-views.html

OP posts:
BernardBlacksMolluscs · 27/09/2023 08:46

They’d rather have an LGBTQ+ lounge than a Harry Potter panel? I suspect I know which the paying visitors would prefer

doesn’t feel like the most sensible commercial decision

MagpiePi · 27/09/2023 09:05

It’s beyond ridiculous.

Plus it also sounds like comicons are going the same way as pride marches as being an excuse for men to play out their sexual fetishes in public.

AgnestaVipers · 27/09/2023 09:25

Utterly moronic.

snowbird21 · 27/09/2023 09:44

I think is absolutely wrong and just don't understand the logic, whatsmore another example of cancel culture.

Its even more illogical as the Harry Potter books are not in any way/do no in any way reflect GC views - they are just books, which I really loved reading. If the even is about the characters/ plot etc and the fantasy world then there is no issue at all - so the ban is even more illogical and make no sense whatsoever.

CorruptedCauldron · 27/09/2023 10:26

I find it all very sad. An author created a world celebrating friendship, loyalty, resilience and survival. A world that champions the underdog, where anything is possible. An author who had to fight her own battles as a survivor of male violence.

Yes, JK Rowling is a women’s rights campaigner but that doesn’t make trans people ‘unsafe’. If it makes them feel unsafe, then that is proof there is a conflict of interest between TQ+ and women’s rights and that NoDebate must end if we are to work through it.

It’s worth noting that JK Rowling has never threatened to rape, punch or kill anyone she disagrees with.

BloodyHellKen · 27/09/2023 10:27

BigCroc · 27/09/2023 08:20

I used to go to MCM comic con with my older kids, they were into stuff like Dr Who, Pokémon, Sherlock. It was really fun and friendly.
I went again last year with a friend and her kids, it’s very different feel now. Loads of men dressed as anime women, quite sexualised. There was a difference in atmosphere, quite pushy, hostile and aggressive. It used to be a great day out for kids, I’m not sure it is now.

My son used to go to London comic con when he was in his teens and loved it in the same way. It's a shame it's become another nonce-fest 😕

I don't have a problem with men getting a thrill out of sexy cross-dressing, I just wish they'd keep it in the bedroom.

britespark1 · 27/09/2023 10:41

I’m a massive JKR fan and our family love attending comic cons but we certainly won’t be going to any more MCM run ones. The world has gone mad.

RudsyFarmer · 27/09/2023 10:41

I honestly think this nonsense will burn itself out at some point. I can almost hear the sighs once the hostage note is received and the weary shrugs when they are acquiesced once more. At some point it will just be a flat no and life will continue.

SoLongAndThanksForAllTheVaricoseVeins · 27/09/2023 10:47

MCM has been problematic for some time and for several reasons. The massive Showmasters London Film and Comic Con doesn’t seem to have the same issues.

RichardArmitagesWife · 27/09/2023 10:50

"Safe" doesn't mean "no one will disagree with my world view", and someone really ought to be making that plain to these numpties. When did our education system fail to make that clear?

Someone not agreeing with you isn't unsafe, it's normality. Having a broad range of view and beliefs is part and parcel of living in a pluralistic society.

IcakethereforeIam · 27/09/2023 10:51

This reply has been hidden

This reply has been hidden until the MNHQ team can have a look at it.

Slothtoes · 27/09/2023 12:45

Nobidy should be putting on events like these that attract a wide range age from kids to adults without a very very tight grip on safeguarding - these organisers clearly have no idea.

And that is especially worrying with the grooming and harassment experienced, and eg with some autistic girls being more likely to have special interests that involve around pop culture than their male peers do -thereby putting them right in the path of these creeps. These organisers should set an age limit on their events because they are not being run properly.

Fuck them for cancelling that panel, as well. JKR is in no way transphobic. Be great if she sued. Let those fuckers substantiate in court why she is transphobic. They will shit themselves

Slothtoes · 27/09/2023 12:47

I’m talking about organisers in general here- not these specific panel -cancellers. Because depressingly this a widespread problem

EyesOnThePies · 27/09/2023 12:56

So the team who did the stage play … based on a fictional printed novel… on a panel in a room that you are not forced to enter… pose a threat to trans people and their allies?

Goodness.

popebishop · 27/09/2023 13:20

BigCroc · 27/09/2023 08:20

I used to go to MCM comic con with my older kids, they were into stuff like Dr Who, Pokémon, Sherlock. It was really fun and friendly.
I went again last year with a friend and her kids, it’s very different feel now. Loads of men dressed as anime women, quite sexualised. There was a difference in atmosphere, quite pushy, hostile and aggressive. It used to be a great day out for kids, I’m not sure it is now.

The Ink Black Heart featured a storyline at a comic-con type event. I expect JKR has seen what they've become...

tellmewhenthespaceshiplandscoz · 27/09/2023 13:24

ATerrorofLeftovers · 27/09/2023 01:41

Safe from what??

This.

APurpleSquirrel · 27/09/2023 13:34

I'll stick to our regional Cons in that case. Had thought about making the trip to London but sounds awful.

commonground · 27/09/2023 13:44

Because they are activists and they have to campaign about something - Pride is high street, Drag is ubiquitous, rainbows are everywhere. So what's to complain about? The struggle is real when you want to be on the margins but are actually part of the mainstream.

Sticking it to the (wo)man!

snowbird21 · 27/09/2023 15:25

A really pity that coz play had been hijacked - I do hope the regional and local event do not go the same way

Dwappy · 27/09/2023 15:25

SoLongAndThanksForAllTheVaricoseVeins · 27/09/2023 10:47

MCM has been problematic for some time and for several reasons. The massive Showmasters London Film and Comic Con doesn’t seem to have the same issues.

I think MCM has these particular issues since they've become mainly about anime and cosplay. Showmasters is still mainly about the guest list. I rarely see more than a couple of anime cosplayers at LFCC. MCM priced themselves out of the guest market I think. I certainly wasn't paying the prices they were asking for Hiddleston a few years back. So I think they possibly lost money that year and decided to move the focus away from getting big names guests and into panels and cosplay. I don't think the type of people who go to MCM now would enjoy showmasters events and vice versa. The focus is very different. I doubt I'll ever go to an MCM event again now. I'll stick to showmasters and monopoly.

FrancescaContini · 27/09/2023 15:30

Safe from what, exactly?

TWETMIRF · 27/09/2023 15:41

The real world?

SoLongAndThanksForAllTheVaricoseVeins · 27/09/2023 16:29

Dwappy · 27/09/2023 15:25

I think MCM has these particular issues since they've become mainly about anime and cosplay. Showmasters is still mainly about the guest list. I rarely see more than a couple of anime cosplayers at LFCC. MCM priced themselves out of the guest market I think. I certainly wasn't paying the prices they were asking for Hiddleston a few years back. So I think they possibly lost money that year and decided to move the focus away from getting big names guests and into panels and cosplay. I don't think the type of people who go to MCM now would enjoy showmasters events and vice versa. The focus is very different. I doubt I'll ever go to an MCM event again now. I'll stick to showmasters and monopoly.

We seem to have the same view!

WickedSerious · 27/09/2023 16:54

ATerrorofLeftovers · 27/09/2023 01:41

Safe from what??

Thought criminals.

gogomoto · 27/09/2023 17:15

My dd likes this sort of event, there's plenty of iffy situations and it isn't Harry Potter related. Japanese anime can be quite questionable!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.