Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Labour Shadow Secretary of State for Women attacks LGBA and LGBA responds

Pluvia · 05/08/2022 10:26

For an indication of how badly wrong Labour have got it (and I have been a Labour voter for the last 35 years till now), take a look at this. Taiwo Owatemi wrote to a constituent concerned about the treatment of Kathleen Stock saying the LGBA should be rejected by all those who believe in equality.

lgballiance.org.uk/response-to-the-letter-by-taiwo-owatemi-shadow-secretary-of-state-for-women-and-equalities-in-the-uk/

OP's posts:
Please
or

Pluvia · 05/08/2022 10:27

Oh, and the LGBA still needs lots of voluntary gardeners to help prepare for its challenge from Mermaids and Stonewall.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ThinkingaboutLangClegosaurus · 05/08/2022 10:41

Thanks for the info, Pluvia. I didn't follow the link because Labour's batshittery depresses me too much these days. But will do a bit of healthy gardening for LGBA.

Please
or

partystress · 05/08/2022 10:43

That is one brilliant letter. I am going to do a bit more digging and am starting to feel,quite grateful to Mermaids for the light they will be shining.

Please
or

ThinkingaboutLangClegosaurus · 05/08/2022 10:43

I mean, I will do some gardening for LGBA. God, I'd be over the moon if the Labour Party did! But I'm so old that I remember the Labour Party when it stood up for the underdog.

Please
or

Igmum · 05/08/2022 11:04

Great letter. I hope they get a full apology

Please
or

Helleofabore · 05/08/2022 11:42

Thanks Pluvia.

I hope they get that apology. I suspect they will not.

Please
or

cocoapopfan · 05/08/2022 11:46

Great letter. I'm a Labour Party member and I'm ashamed of them.

Please
or

Clymene · 05/08/2022 11:56

Shadow Secretary of State for Women? This is why labour is absolutely unelectable

Absolute shambles

Please
or

BernardBlacksWineIcelolly · 05/08/2022 12:04

Great letter

let’s see what Taiwo Owatemi does next

Please
or

MrsOvertonsWindow · 05/08/2022 14:09

Such an appalling letter. It's the words of a trans activist, not an MP with responsibilities for society including safeguarding children. No wonder labour is still not a credible opposition.

Time to do some more gardening.

Please
or

FunnyTalks · 05/08/2022 14:21

Ffs Labour Party. I'd actually like to vote for you again one day?!

Please
or

ControversialOpening · 05/08/2022 15:11

Just to emphasise again that this is the shadow Minister for women. For women.

Please
or

Hearach15 · 05/08/2022 20:14

Shadow Secretary of State for Women? This is why labour is absolutely unelectable

Absolute shambles

I mean, last I checked they were ahead in the polls...

Please
or

Hearach15 · 05/08/2022 20:15

MrsOvertonsWindow · 05/08/2022 14:09

Such an appalling letter. It's the words of a trans activist, not an MP with responsibilities for society including safeguarding children. No wonder labour is still not a credible opposition.

Time to do some more gardening.

Maybe MPs can also believe in trans rights. Trans rights after all are Labour policy.

Please
or

TheCountessofFitzdotterel · 05/08/2022 20:26

Labour is an embarrassment (former Labour voter speaking).

Please
or

exwhyzed · 05/08/2022 20:31

Am I going slightly mad? Didn't this happen several months ago?

Please
or

TheBiologyStupid · 06/08/2022 00:00

FunnyTalks · 05/08/2022 14:21

Ffs Labour Party. I'd actually like to vote for you again one day?!

Yes, this!

Please
or

Clymene · 06/08/2022 00:05

@Hearach15 - polls =/= GEs as I'm sure you well know.

Just imagine how much they'd tip the balance if they stopped pretending men could become women!

Please
or

SerotinaPickeler · 06/08/2022 07:07

Means nothing. Winning general election votes is what matters and Labour is not doing too well on that score. And won't get my vote next time.

Please
or

Floisme · 06/08/2022 07:23

If the opposition isn't ahead in the polls half way through a term of government and when the PM has been forced to step down then the opposition are in deep, deep shit.

Labour have got everything to do if they hope overturn that majority in a single election, and they will need every vote they can get. They still have time to get mine.

Please
or

Helleofabore · 06/08/2022 08:26

If the opposition isn't ahead in the polls half way through a term of government and when the PM has been forced to step down then the opposition are in deep, deep shit.

Yes. I am not sure understanding how government works and make laws and politics works, particularly political event cycles, is some posters strength.

It really would be a sign the opposition was completely irredeemable forever if they weren’t ahead in the polls mid-election cycle and with a leadership challenge, at the start of a recession …..

And it any government in power would be thinking twice about changing leadership if they were still leading the polls ….

Please
or

WallaceinAnderland · 06/08/2022 16:22

Don't forget you can nominate a charity on your Amazon account and they will get a donation every time you make a purchase.

Please
or

StillHappy · 06/08/2022 16:26

That’s standard in mid-term polling. The reality is that the Conservatives are in their twelfth year in office, have an 80 seat majority and are very likely to win the next election.

The naive youngsters who push the TRA line fortunately don’t matter, they tend not to vote.

Please
or

pylonpal · 06/08/2022 17:21

Absolute shambles

Yes. An Equalities minister who clearly does not understand the Equalities act, their brief, and I am sure cannot define what a woman is. They probably haven't even understood the ideology they are defending here.

After all the news coverage they have no excuse for such ignorance and one can only assume they are deliberately staying ignorant out of laziness or faith-based ideological conviction.

Absolute shambles.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.