Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Cute Girly Photos...

9 replies

FrauMoose · 26/05/2013 12:23

... on Facebook. A woman I like, likes dressing her daughter up like a doll and posting the pictures up for everyone to see. At which point loads of people - all women - pile in to say, 'Adorable!', 'Gorgeous!!' etc. The latest ones show the child - not yet two in a white bridesmaids type dress clutching a gold handbag. There is no indication that they're actually going to a wedding. I think it was just a dressing up then sharing the results exercise. (Sometimes it's hard to bite your lip, especially when you see other people making encouraging noises. I secretly hope the girl will grow up to be a weightlifter who has cropped hair and opts for jeans and sweatshirts on all occasions.)

OP posts:
ZenOfPetals · 26/05/2013 14:16

I would post, "I would love to see cutedaughter dressed as a doctor/farmer/fireman/soliciter/bus driver" then, when the mother goes along, post "empowered!"

KingRollo · 26/05/2013 14:27

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Childrenofthestones · 26/05/2013 14:37

Do you ever step back and think "No, I wont post that or I will come across as a lemon sucking control freak?"
Just wondered

cuddlymoomoo · 26/05/2013 15:04

I'm not entirely sure you're telling the truth FrauMoose - surely they would be saying 'gawjus'?

I am a lemon sucking control freak who thinks children should be happy, not have their lives plastered across FB before they can even talk, and have the freedom to be children for as long as possible, so who would like to join me on the misery guts bench?

ZenOfPetals · 26/05/2013 15:16

actually laughing in real life

KingRollo · 26/05/2013 16:41

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

exoticfruits · 26/05/2013 16:54

I have come to the conclusion people should stay off Facebook, or take more care which friends they have. So many seem to get upset by it.

FrauMoose · 26/05/2013 17:08

I like FB in lots of ways. But I suppose that - like Mumsnet - it connects people, but also highlights differences that otherwise I would be less aware of. It wasn't around when my own child - and stepchildren - were really small, so there was no option to post babypics 'cute' or otherwise.

OP posts:
Italiangreyhound · 30/05/2013 23:02

FrauMoose is it the fact that the child is dressed up as a grown up, as in making little girls look like grown women? I know some friends like to do that, dress little kids up like little adults. I don't like it (personally) let kids be kids is my (humble) opinion. However, I like Zen's idea of getting he kid dressed up as a doctor or something aspirational.

Lots of my friends post pictures of their kids on facebook. They seem to like doing it. That's fine for them but personally I don't find it interesting - I prefer the jokes and interesting articles. Each to their own but totally agree with you about the dressing up girls as women if that was what you meant.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.