My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

A young mans attitude to womens erotic fiction.

9 replies

carernotasaint · 06/07/2012 23:35

Disclaimer i do NOT regard Fifty Shades as erotic.
I had an interesting chat today with a woman who works in a local supermarket.
She said that earlier today a young bloke with his mate came in and bought a copy of Fifty Shades of Grey.

He said it was for his sister because at the moment she hasnt got a boyfriend.
So the supermarket employee then asked him if he ever bought any lads mags. To which he replied "Yes" so she then said "Well does that mean you dont get any? Apparently the young bloke hadnt thought of it that way but his mate found it amusing.
This story really made me think. Do some men really have the attitude that women shouldnt read erotic fiction? Especially as many of them dont seem to think anything of buying Nuts Zoo or FHM.

OP posts:
carernotasaint · 06/07/2012 23:37

Sorry that meant to read as.
Do some men think that women shouldnt need to read erotic fiction?
In 2012 FFS.

OP posts:
namechangeguy · 06/07/2012 23:45

I am all for women reading erotic fiction. What I find odd is them feeling the need to post about it all over Facey B and the like. Can we not just keep our bedroom habits to ourselves please?

ThePan · 07/07/2012 00:03

I am really dubious about a story about a female shop assistant asking two young males if one of them is having sex, currently. Hmm

carernotasaint · 07/07/2012 00:56

Im just repeating what she said Pan.

OP posts:
ThePan · 07/07/2012 01:00

oh sure carer, just seemed unlikely. But of course, it was indicative as a story.
At work today one woman said to another "I'll pass it on to you when I have finished it" with a grin. Nooo guess work involved.Smile

carernotasaint · 07/07/2012 01:26

Yes exactly. But there is much better erotica available than 50 Shades. I cant understand all the hype over this particular trilogy.

OP posts:
peoplesrepublicofmeow · 07/07/2012 07:34

the hype over this story has more to do the the fact that it started as a 'download only'.
no one knows what your reading on the tube.
right place right time is the success of 50 shades.

Himalaya · 07/07/2012 08:08

He wasn't buying it for his sister Grin

WicketyPitch · 07/07/2012 12:17

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.