My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Has this been done before? If you had to choose a feminist org to join...?

7 replies

FlamingoBingo · 11/01/2011 16:09

If so, please point me in the direction of the thread. If not...

Which organisation and why?

OP posts:
TheButterflyEffect · 11/01/2011 16:54

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FlamingoBingo · 11/01/2011 16:56

This is a 'if you only had the time/money/emotional resources to support one organisation that supports/promotes women's rights' one.

I am frequently guilty of going overboard when I feel strongly about something, and join everything going, but then I find I end up spreading myself too thinly, and would rather just support one organisation about that thing, and support them really well IYSWIM.

So which feminist one would it be?

OP posts:
sethstarkaddersmum · 11/01/2011 17:12

I don't think it's been done, great idea for a thread though.

I would be torn between three possibilities:

1. my local group
  2. Object
  3. Fawcett Society

JessinAvalon · 12/01/2011 23:01

I belong to the national and the local Fawcett Society and to Object. I find that their aims/activities overlap a lot so it's not a question of choosing between them for me. My local group is more of a discussion group and I don't often have time to attend their meetings.

ElephantsAndMiasmas · 13/01/2011 10:20

good question. At the moment I am desperately short of money so haven't been able to sign up to Fawcett (even though I think they do a great job). But I do still give to Amnesty every month, because they cover a lot of issues I feel very strongly about AND they overtly support women's rights movements. They pressed all my buttons last time they called by talking about women held prisoner in Iran for protesting for equal rights.

Speaking of which there's some letter-writing for Women of Zimbabwe Arise that needs doing if anyone's got two minutes.

ElephantsAndMiasmas · 13/01/2011 10:22

Meant to say - they cover a lot of issues I feel strongly about including women's rights and others, such as freedom of the press, political activism in Tibet etc.

MrsClown · 13/01/2011 12:05

I have chosen OBJECT and my local Feminist Group (thanks to Sethstarkaddersmum!). I chose OBJECT because they campaign on behalf of the things I feel most strongly about. Please go on their website.

Good luck and join.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.