My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Called back so fast after ultrasound, so scared

67 replies

Sillybilly83 · 28/11/2018 09:00

Hi everyone, hope I’m posting I. The right place. I’m new to this.
I’m hoping someone can share a similar experience. I went to my Dr as I have been bleeding between periods, mainly around ovulation and experiencing pain In the pelvic are. My GP refer to guns who I saw on the 16th, he said cervix looked normal but there was a lot of brown blood up there. I had an ultra sound last Thursday and yesterday (only 3 working days after) received a letter sent 1st class asking me to come in this Friday. I already had a pre-arranged appt on the 14th December 2018 so they have cancelled that one and brought it forward quite significantly. I called up and spoke to the secretary who said it was to discuss my results but wouldn’t tell me what they were.
When I was having the ultra sound the tech wouldn’t tell me anything she look worried and then did an transvaginal one so I knew she needed to look at something more closel. I asked did she see anything and she said she saw a uterine polyp but wouldn’t say anything else and asked me who referred me. I feel she saw more.
I’m so scared due to the urgent call back. I will be seen a week after the ultrasound. Has anyone else had this and it’s beem something and nothing.

So sorry for essay xx

OP posts:
fieryginger · 28/11/2018 09:19

On my long, long road with gyne health problems, which, after 15 years ended up in a hysterectomy, they have always done the vaginal ultrasound, without exception. I think, from talking to friends, this is done as standard now, they can be more thorough.

I always think, if they saw something truly awful, would they have got someone else in to check what they were looking at? They might just be being super efficient and have a date to get you back in as Christmas is a nightmare, appointment wise.

Try not to panic. 💐

Sillybilly83 · 28/11/2018 09:36

Hi thank you for your message. I’m sorry to hear about your problems and hope the hysterectomy has now eased things, although not the avenue you would want to have gone down.

In respect of the appointment I already had one booked for the 14th December to discuss ultra sound results but they’ve cancelled that and brought it forward 2 weeks, that’s what’s worry me so much.

I told the secretary I was scared and she wouldn’t tell me anything other than it’s a 29 minuet slot with the consultant.

OP posts:
Babdoc · 28/11/2018 09:47

Deep breaths and calm down, OP. It’s natural to fear the worst, and think eek they’ve found something life threatening, I’m doomed, etc, but it may not be anything of the sort.
They may have had a cancellation and simply moved your appointment forward.
They may have seen a polyp and want to check out that it’s just a benign one.
They may have found a cyst, ditto.
Even worst case scenario, there is a potential malignancy, it’s good that you will be seen as early as possible to start treatment.
Don’t meet trouble halfway. Try to keep busy and distracted, and let your consultant talk you through whatever they’ve found (if anything) and the treatment pathway they plan for you. You’ll be in safe professional hands.
Best wishes for a good outcome, OP.

Sillybilly83 · 28/11/2018 09:47

I mean 20 mins slot

OP posts:
Sillybilly83 · 28/11/2018 09:51

Thank you Babdoc for you kind words.
I just keep thinking to call me in so soon it must me something very scary, if it was just a polyp surly they would have left my appt on the 14th. The secretary told me they had brought it forward as they had received my ultra sound results.

I even think it’s scary that my ultra sound results where sent to gyne department and reviewed within 3 days, it all seems such a manic rush... or is this quite normal.

The ultra sound is in the same Hospital as gynaecologist xx

OP posts:
Sillybilly83 · 28/11/2018 09:58

Think I’m even more scared because my Dad had a brain scan went for results and told hebhad weeks to live. So that’s all I can think about and I have a beautiful 2 year old little girl.

I’m so stressed x

OP posts:
InglouriousBasterd · 28/11/2018 10:02

Flowers Have you had any bloods taken? They’ve obviously seen something but it really doesn’t mean malignancy - an US can’t tell you that much info, I’d imagine they want to check something. Do try not to worry (easier said than done I know)

Sillybilly83 · 28/11/2018 10:04

Hi thanks for your post. No I haven’t had any bloods taken, I’m guessing they will do though.

The ultrasound tech said a polyp was noted. Would they call me back so quickly for that x

OP posts:
m0therofdragons · 28/11/2018 10:05

It may be as simple as they've had a cancellation and with winter pressures are trying to bring December appointments forward (we do this in our hospital). Try to stay calm and know that whatever it is, they're on it.

Sillybilly83 · 28/11/2018 10:09

Thank you, I hope your right although the secretary did say they had cancelled my previous appointment because my results were back.

OP posts:
Yulebealrite · 28/11/2018 10:13

I suspect that they just want to check that it is just a polyp. It probably is, but just in case they want to be sure.

I've had cancer. It's scary but I'm fine now. The waiting is the worst part because your mind goes into overdrive imaging worse case scenarios. When you actually know what you are dealing with then your mind has coping mechanisms.

Anyway it's more likely to be nothing to worry about.
Flowers

Fingers crossed for you on Friday.

Burlea · 28/11/2018 10:14

I'm sure if it was very urgent they would of phoned not send a letter. They more than likely want to bring any appointments forward if they have had a cancellation.
It will be very difficult but try not to worry they will have your best interest at heart. The reason the secretary didn't tell you want the results are is because she/he is not allowed.
Take care x

Sillybilly83 · 28/11/2018 10:21

Thank you for your kind words.

I hope you are now better and cancer free, you must think I’m being ridiculous after what you have been through xx

OP posts:
Sillybilly83 · 28/11/2018 10:22

Thank you Burke’s, I hope your right. I jut wish they could have said it’s a polyp so you need to come back x

OP posts:
TwitterQueen1 · 28/11/2018 10:25

Lots of good advice here OP.

• Ultrasounds don't reveal very much detail at all. The've seen a lump, which could be a polyp, a cyst, fibroid... or something else.
  • There's generally a 2 week pathway for suspect lumps so your 14th Dec appt would have been outside this, which is why they've brought it forward
  • Don't panic - most lumps are not cancerous.
  • Only the consultant can provide more information - the secretary will not be allowed to say anything (even if she knows)

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.
Sillybilly83 · 28/11/2018 10:32

Thank you so much. This has really helped me.

My Husband keeps telling me if they’ve seen anything they have a duty to call you back ASAP.

I will definitely update you all on Friday, seems so far away..

Oh and secretary did say that as the GP referred me on the 2 week path way they treat my case as urgent.

OP posts:
Mumtoboy123 · 28/11/2018 10:32

If it was really urgent/bad news as such they would gave rung you and not sent a letter. The fact they have sent a letter is a good sign. Good luck

Sillybilly83 · 28/11/2018 10:40

Thank you so much for the reassurance xx

OP posts:
FlamingJuno · 28/11/2018 10:45

If it was really urgent/bad news as such they would gave rung you and not sent a letter. The fact they have sent a letter is a good sign

This ^^.
If you're really worried, get a telephone appointment with your GP, explain to her what the situation is and ask her to ring the consultant's secretary. GP will then be able to ring you back with more info and hopefully reassurance.

My GP did exactly this when I was waiting for biopsy results and it was the run up to Xmas. I was frantic. He was extremely understanding, told me to go and make a cup of tea and he would call me back in 30 mins. He did, and all was well.

Sillybilly83 · 28/11/2018 10:50

Your GP sounds incredible. There’s no way I would get a telephone consultation now before Friday, there’s usually a 3 week waiting list.

I’m just to have to be patient. Hope everything was ok with your results x

OP posts:
TwitterQueen1 · 28/11/2018 11:13

A couple of things:

They would not necessarily ring you instead of sending a letter. Things work differently in different areas and departments. And a wait of a few days or even weeks won't make any difference to the outcome or any potential treatment (should any be required) - though of course it does make the not knowing and the worry far worse.

ALL lumps are suspect - because they're lumps! And they shouldn't be there. It doesn't mean they're cancerous.

Sillybilly83 · 28/11/2018 11:24

Thanks I agree.

I just wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience and it turned out to be something simple like polyp or cyst x

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

QueenoftheNights · 28/11/2018 16:32

How old are you?

If you are not post menopause the odds of this being cancer are remote.

Many women have fibroids and polyps. Ultrasound does actually show up quite a lot- I've had loads- but they have to be read by someone very well qualified (mine are private with a consultant radiologist.)

The person who does the NHS scan is usually 'just' a radiographer or sonographer; they are not qualified to interpret what they see.

Polyps are common. If it was cancer, it's likely you would be called back now. They just want another look and will most likely talk about ways of removal- local, GA, or nothing at all needs to be done.

Sillybilly83 · 28/11/2018 16:45

Hi Queenoftheknighs, I’m 35 years old, have 1 child a 2 year old.

I really hope your right and they are calling me back to discuss that. Wouldn’t you have thought they would have just told me that over the phone or in letter and then only called me back to have the procedure to remove it? Xx

OP posts:
SpottingTheZebras · 28/11/2018 16:50

When I had my ultrasound it had to be internal as well. My old surgery always ensured there was plenty of time to allow for the results to be received before the follow up appointment in case of any delays. It could be your doctor had a free appointment and gave it to you.

In a different part of my body but I once went for a scan and the sonograoher called in his manager because he was concerned and it was decided to do a biopsy there and then. So in my limited experience if there is a genuine concern they will act straightaway.

I hope everything is ok and can understand your worry. Whatever the news, it better to know sooner. Flowers

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.