Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The Binding

dementedma · 26/06/2020 19:58

Just devoured this in one sitting. Loved it. anyone else?

OP's posts:
Please
or

JellyfishandShells · 26/06/2020 20:03

I’ve just looked at reviews, found it on my library’s ebook list and downloaded it ! Will tell you what I think later ......

Please
or

nancybotwinbloom · 26/06/2020 20:04

What's it about?

I've just ordered a couple of Ben Elton and I have a couple of BA Paris on my kindle I need to read.

Please
or

GnomeoNameo · 26/06/2020 21:16

I think it's one of the worst books I've ever come across - appalling writing, drippy pathetic characters, a good "concept" totally wasted on the fan-fiction style gay romance. I've read other books of hers and think she's tending into same-ish territory and this was just a disaster of a book: a book-loving (also YA-book-loving) friend of mine read it too and loathed it. I've just put it out today for the charity shop. The Traitor Game was decent - this is miles worse.

Please
or

trumpisaflump · 26/06/2020 21:18

I'm slogging through the audio book and about to give up. In about a third of the way through and nothing has happened yet! It's really depressing and I don't need more depression in the middle of a pandemic!

Please
or

dementedma · 27/06/2020 19:41

I thought the concept was very clever

OP's posts:
Please
or

JellyfishandShells · 28/06/2020 09:05

I don’t like giving up on books before I have given them a fair go but the writing style is grating on me. Think it will be a no to continuing.

Please
or

agapanthus1979 · 29/06/2020 16:35

The concept was clever, but the execution dreadful.

Please
or

Fuggly · 30/06/2020 13:33

We read this in my book club last month and it was a unanimous "NO"!
As others have said, a good idea wasted.

Please
or

Glitterkitten24 · 30/06/2020 13:35

I liked the concept and enjoyed the first half. I thought it was a bit slow and ended up skimming pages towards the end cos I was bored.

Please
or

Mrsbadger77 · 30/06/2020 13:39

It's not my usual type of book but I am reading it on a recommendation. I am enjoying it about to come to the end of part one but now starting to wish something would happen. It's a very long book so hope it's not a waste of time. No idea how you read it in one sitting OP.

Please
or

mightymalties · 06/07/2020 20:53

I really enjoyed it too @dementedma. I think it took me two days to read, though that was because I couldn't find the peace to read it in one sitting Smile

Will you be reading The Betrayals in the autumn?

Please
or

pollyhemlock · 06/07/2020 21:56

I thought it was an enjoyable read. The first half is a fairly standard fantasy - wise woman, mysterious room etc. The second half is quite different and I thought a lot more interesting. But this book does seem to divide people.

Please
or

HappydaysArehere · 17/07/2020 01:19

I did not enjoy this. Found it unpleasant and I had trouble finishing it.

Please
or

SlightyJaded · 21/07/2020 00:26

I enjoyed it OP. I did it on an audible and thought the narration was excellent. Loved the concept even though I usually hate anything remotely 'fantastical', and Emmet was really well written.

Please
or

JunoJigglewick · 21/07/2020 17:27

It was a good concept but oh so many words used to describe how they were thinking or what their thoughts were or just endless descriptions... I only read it last month and already forgetting it.

Please
or

Cam2020 · 22/07/2020 08:17

I loved this so much! I felt bereft once I'd finished it. @dementedma you must be exhausted after reading that in one go!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.