Please
or
to access all these features

Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

What, no reductil!

3 replies

LouIsOnAHighwayToHell · 11/03/2010 12:00

I was just given a prescription of Xenical yesterday as I discovered my drug of choice Reductil has been recalled (heart problems my arse, give me my drugs!).

I really wanted a appetite supressent so am a bit nervous about it. I don't eat a lot of crap to being with (cheese and salami is not crap in my opinion ).

Anyway, I still have about 20 odd kgs to loose. Will the reductil help or will I spend my life running for the toilet?

Thanks

OP posts:
Chil1234 · 11/03/2010 16:24

Xenical works by limiting fat absorption... However, it's possible to eat plenty of other things besides fat and, if you eat too many calories in total, you won't lose weight. If you continue to eat fatty foods like cheese and salami when you're using Xenical you'll find that you get nasty oily discharge from your rear end... usually bright orange... but it sounds like you know that already.

20kgs isn't actually that much weight to lose now. You may well be better off just knuckling down, watching the calories, making good food choices and upping your exercise. If you practice enough so that you learn how to do these things almost as second nature you won't need medication and you'll be able to not only lose weight but maintain your healthy weight afterwards (a different and arguably tougher challenge)

So good luck

uggmum · 11/03/2010 16:31

Hi, I lost 3 stone on orlistat. It can take some getting used to but does educate you to eat well.
I love cheese and salami but you will suffer the side effects if you eat them.
I am still taking it as I want to lose another stone.
I have a friend who has been on Reductil for a year and she is now on Orlistat and struggling a bit.

LouIsOnAHighwayToHell · 11/03/2010 17:44

I have lost 34kg already without anything but having been dumped by my bf and heading for a 'holiday' at my parents combined with being stuck in the house all day means my eating habits are bad right now and I have plateaud so wanted the reductil as a kick start. I am thinking that the xenical is not what I need as a I have a very healthy diet already (cheese and salami are my comfort foods). Will just give it a go and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.