Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. You may wish to speak to a medical professional before starting any diet.

Breakfast for the picky?

PenCreed · 01/09/2020 12:33

Help! I need to lose some weight (not sure how much, just some...) and I reckon low-carb is a good start. But what on earth do you have for breakfast? I'm deeply awkward in that I don't like eggs, I barely tolerate dairy and I hate bananas. My standard breakfast is a coffee and a bit of toast or some kind of cereal bar - both of which are full of carbs. Do I admit defeat and just count breakfast as all my carbs for the day?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sairafina · 01/09/2020 14:01

Morning!
Here are some bread like recipes I fall back on when needing the carby hit.

Flatbread chips (nachos)this can also be used as a 'pizza' base which you can top with regular pizza toppings
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 tbsp cream cheese
1 egg
1/4 cup almond flour (or flaxseed meal, or a combination of the two)
2 garlic cloves (optional)
herbs (optional)

Microwave mozzarella and cream cheese until melted and combined (about 1min).
Add beaten egg, flour, garlic and herbs, stir to combine.
Press out on to a piece of parchment paper.
Bake in oven for 10-15mins at 180C/350F .
Slice into nacho sized chips or top with pizza toppings and pop back in the oven for 5-10mins

Microwave ‘Bread’
3 tbsp almond flour (or flaxseed meal, or a combination)
1/2 tsp baking powder
salt
1 tbsp melted butter
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup parmesan (optional)
1 sp rosemary (optional)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a ramekin. Microwave on full power for 90 seconds. Cut into slices and these can be popped in a frying pan for a few mins for a more toast like texture

Cheddar scones
3/4 cup almond flour (or flaxseed meal or a combination)
3/4 cup grated cheddar
1 tsp baking powder
1 beaten egg
1 tsp water (optional if dough needs it)
1 tsp paprika or cayenne (optional)

Mix dry ingredients together then add egg/water until dough is formed. Shape into balls.
Bake at 180C/350F for 15 mins

Please
or

Palavah · 01/09/2020 14:04

Coconut yoghurt?
Tempeh?
Tofu?

Nothing wrong with fish or meat for breakfast

Please
or

Spodge · 01/09/2020 17:13

Avocado
Smoked salmon

Nothing?

Please
or

PaddingtonsHat · 01/09/2020 17:14

Don’t eat breakfast. Intermittent fasting for the win.

Please
or

PenCreed · 01/09/2020 22:02

@Sairafina those all sound very creative, but I really can't eat cheese! That's one of my major issues with trying to find alternatives, everything has cheese in it and it makes me want to heave...

I never used to eat breakfast at all - I'm not a big eater first thing anyway - but all the "most important meal of the day" things got to me. I will explore some of these options, thanks all! The coffee is a must though Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

orangesandstrawberries · 01/09/2020 22:38

Yoghurt & fruit?
Porridge although carby is quite slow releasing

Please
or

orangesandstrawberries · 01/09/2020 22:39

Ah missed the dairy bit - ignore me!

Please
or

FizzyPink · 01/09/2020 22:41

Breakfast doesn’t have to mean breakfast type foods (which are typically full of sugar/carbs). When I’m low carbing I’ll often eat leftovers from the night before, bolognese with kale is a particular favourite but I appreciate not everyone would be able to stomach that first thing Grin

Please
or

FizzyPink · 01/09/2020 22:43

Oh if you’re not bothered about breakfast then definitely intermittent fast and just eat within an 8 hour window. I don’t drink coffee so I’m not 100% on the rules but I think as long as you don’t add milk you won’t break the fast

Please
or

Loseastonein21years · 02/09/2020 06:23

Breakfast is not the most important meal of the day! That was dreamt up by cereal manufacturers. You don’t need to eat it.

Otherwise:
-Coconut yoghurt (dairy free) and berries
-Smoothie made with vegan protein powder, a few berries and a plant milk
-Avocado and smoke salmon
-Avocado and grilled bacon/turkey rashers
-Smoked fish and stir fried spinach

Please
or

Ragwort · 02/09/2020 06:53

It took me over 60 years to realise that I don't actually need to eat breakfast, it was just a habit I got into.

Try skipping it and seeing how you feel ... you could have bacon, mushrooms & avocado for example as a 'brunch' later in the morning. I have successfully lost weight on low carb but you might find it harder if you don't eat eggs & dairy.

Please
or

InterstellarDrifter · 02/09/2020 08:19

Another one saying you don’t need breakfast. I don’t eat eggs, limit dairy, don’t like too much meat, trying to low carb so breakfast was always a pain. I just skip it now and it works out better.

Please
or

MrsEfr0n · 03/09/2020 19:47

If you have a sweet tooth, try rolled oats. I have these for breakfast with dark chocolate almond milk and strawberries on top.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.