Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

BigMoFos Week 40

109 replies

WigWamBam · 11/02/2007 09:35

Sorry girls

OP posts:
Dottydot · 11/02/2007 09:59

Don't be daft - as long as you're OK! And those snowball fights will have burned off shed loads of calories!!

Meanwhile I went for my lumber/run this morning - how come it still feels like hell..?!

Dottydot · 11/02/2007 10:02

By the way, I've just finished reading William Leith's book 'The hungry years: confessions of a food addict'. Thought it was brilliant - really described what it's like to be addicted to food and have binges. Really interesting and makes me want to read it again straight away!

WigWamBam · 11/02/2007 10:03

I feel very stupid indeed. Can't believe I forgot.

Given that I put weight on again, the snowball fights really need to have burned off a shedload of calories ...

You're doing really well with your running, Dotty, I'm full of admiration for you. I suppose it still feels like hell because you do more or work harder each time you go so you always feel it afterwards.

OP posts:
WigWamBam · 11/02/2007 10:04

Oh, I think you mentioned that book before, Dotty. Might have to try and get hold of a copy.

Is it just interesting reading, or have you found that it helps you focus on working through your own problems as well?

OP posts:
Dottydot · 11/02/2007 10:05

Ah. I wish that was the case, WWB! I stopped 5 times, which I think is more than last time, and took about the same length of time!! Clearly not getting any better - but could be because we had dinner at my Mum's last night (who said horrible things about my fat face, but that's another story) and I had 2 lots of casserole and some vienetta and after eight mints...

and stop using that word - 'stupid' - it's horrible, and you're NOT!!!

Dottydot · 11/02/2007 10:06

I think the next time I read it it'll be useful - I was just fascinated reading through it that he could describe so clearly how I feel sometimes.

JackieNo · 11/02/2007 10:07

WWB - I find the snow quite stressful, and ended up eating more than I should (family pack of giant chocolate buttons, anybody?). I did however get to use my shoe chains again on the Friday - it had all frozen around DD's school and was like an ice rink, so I was very glad of them.

Dottydot - you are amazing to be doing the running. Can I do a Ricki Lake-stylee 'Go Dotty, Go Dotty....'etc?

JackieNo · 11/02/2007 10:07

I've looked at that book too, and wondered about it. Might see if the library's got it.

WigWamBam · 11/02/2007 10:08

Oh, give your mother a poke in the eye from me next time I see her ... that kind of thing really gets up my nose.

Sorry ... I just feel really stupid that it's taken until SUNDAY!! to realise that I missed doing the weights.

I think I might go and have a look on Amazon for that book, sounds well worth a look.

OP posts:
Dottydot · 11/02/2007 10:10

Aarrrgghhhh! There's that word again WWB - I'm going to start a 'stupid' box and you have to put £1 in every time I spot you using it..!

Yes, my Mum said I haven't lost weight from my face like I did last time I lost weight (about 10 years ago), and lord knows what people do to their bodies who put weight on and lose it and then put it on again.

So supportive...

WigWamBam · 11/02/2007 10:11

Jackie, I coped with the snow by not going anywhere in it There is no way I was risking falling over again, I'm still sore from the last time. Luckily the school was closed both days otherwise I might have been in trouble for not taking dd

It was actually very dry and powdery snow, though, so quite easy to walk around on for snowball fights and snowmen - not slippy at all. I still wasn't risking it though

OP posts:
WigWamBam · 11/02/2007 10:12

A st*pid box??? £1 a time???

I don't think so

Your mother definitely needs a poke in the eye.

OP posts:
JackieNo · 11/02/2007 10:14

It was fine on the Thursday - as you say, quite powdery, and we walked to school (about 25 mins walk, with DS in tow) and back again with no problems. It was just once it had all been churned up and half melted and frozen over that it was pretty lethal.

And you're not stupid, so please stop calling yourself that.

MrsJohnCusack · 11/02/2007 10:15

oooh congratulations everybody.
WWB - not stupid, word not allowed.

I had to try and run after DD when she escaped AGAIN the other day and pulled a ligament or something under my bump. I am now officially pretty much stationary

I think weight gain will be approx. 20/21 pounds overall this pregnancy which is OK, if the baby is more or less the size of DD (9 lbs 14oz) then a lot of that should disappear fairly soon I hope as lots must be blood/placenta/water retention etc.).
Then I will need help to adhere to my mantra of I WILL NOT STUFF MY FACE WHILE BREASTFEEDING

I will eat wholesome and nutritious food, oh yes

JackieNo · 11/02/2007 10:17

Poor you, MrsJC - as if all the rest of it with the SPD wasn't enough. Yes, the eating healthily while bf is indeed a challenge. A bit easier second time round, I found, because the whole situation of having a newborn was a bit less of a shock to the system, and I felt more on top of things generally, so less inclined to subsist on toast and chocolate like I did the first time round.

MrsJohnCusack · 11/02/2007 10:23

I am a total misery guts TBH. Have also spent all week looking after my mother after her hip op (carrying, bending, fixing doughnut loo seats AND cleaning up accidents, shopping, taking off and putting on support stockings etc.) as my father really isn't too well either. I am sooooooooo knackered now it's untrue.

Still DD is now sleeping so it's not all bad. soon I won't come on here and moan, I promise! But I will be on here making you all tell me not to overeat, I will be v.boring I am afraid.

MrsJohnCusack · 11/02/2007 10:25

god I'm dull
all I do is moan.

sorry guys

Littlefish · 11/02/2007 11:01

You just moan away Mrs JC. You are amongst friends .

I think you've done really well to put on only 20-21 lbs. I put on about 16lbs with dd and had lost it again within 3 weeks (obviously I've put it all, and more, back on since .

DottyDot, that book sounds interesting, I think I'll have to have a look.

I read a good book a few years ago called:

Eating your heart out, by Julia Buckroyd.

It was all about the relationships between mothers and daughters, one or other of whom had issues with food.

In it was the quote that I carry around in my filofax to this day:

"None of us can be responsible for anyone else's happiness. We can only be responsible for ourselves."

suejonez · 11/02/2007 12:05

I think William Leith was the person talking on the radio about addictions when he was talking about food addiction. Some of you may remember it as I talked about it before I left. I remember being very impressed by what he said and how much sense it made to me. I'd be very interested in reading his book.

JackieNo · 11/02/2007 12:08

I remember that programme sue. Is he the guy who used to be married to Sophie Grigson?

JackieNo · 11/02/2007 13:18

Ah, no - I remembered over lunch that that's William Black.

Dottydot · 11/02/2007 13:43

ooh yes - everyone get the book out of the library and read it, and we can have a mini book group-type session on it..!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Fauve · 11/02/2007 22:14

I've read an article by him which was amazing, so I wouldn't mind reading the book. The BigMofos Book Club, eh?

CheesyFeet · 12/02/2007 09:15

Deffo interested in that book, am off to google it now

WWB don't beat yourself up about a measly thread, you have to take the opportunity to have snowball fights whenever you can! We got very little snow here and none of it stuck, so very

I have undone all my hard work this weekend, it was my birthday on Saturday and I used it as an excuse to stuff my face with chocolate cake, Chinese takeaway, bacon butties and lots and lots of wine... enjoyed every mouthful though

Back on the wagon this morning.

JackieNo · 12/02/2007 09:59

Happy (belated) birthday, CheesyFeet. Glad you had a good time. I think we have to accept that there are always going to be occasions when it's fine to eat the sorts of things we try not to normally - they key is to get back on the wagon afterwards (says she, who still hasn't managed it after Christmas).

I noticed that you can get second hand copies of the William Leith book cheap on Amazon - from 84p, I think (plus postage).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.