My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

SW - free foods list help?what are they, anyone got the books?

19 replies

jumpingjackflash · 20/11/2005 20:15

Hi, want to do SW (which I joined a year ago but couldn't make the meetings as DH works). SO, bought the books on Ebay but when I got them, there were 2 2005 books Mix and Max and Body Imagine. But it doesn't have a free foods list or what the original day is? I am interested in following this diet but I cannot get to a meeting. Does anyone know where I can get a list from for the proper diet? I can pay for it. I just need to get going before another day of "this is my last day before I diet so I will stuff my face". Lost 3 stones on Atkins 5 year's ago but put one of those back on. Anyway, anyone out there can help with some advice?

thanks!

OP posts:
jumpingjackflash · 21/11/2005 07:53

anyone? I know there have been threads on this subject but if someone could help or direct me thanks.

OP posts:
bunny2 · 21/11/2005 09:15

the list of free foods is enormous - you could try the website. I did have a spare book but think it is lost, if I can find it you are welcome to it. Which plan will you most likely follow, red or green?

Fireworks · 21/11/2005 09:30

Free foods - depends if red or green. As already said, list is extensive to check out the sw website for specifics. Most fruit and veg are free, virtually fat free yoghurt..On green days rice, pasta, potatoes, quorn is all free food (if cooked without adding fat)On red days lean meat is free food but stay away from the carbs.
Original day is another way of saying a red day ie meat and veg without the carbs - avoid potatoes, rice, pasta - ie grilled bacon, tom, mushrooms and egg for breakfast, grilled spicy chicken with salad for lunch and maybe fish/roast beef/spicy pork chops with veg and a little gravy...
It is a bit more complex than that as you have the healthy extras to add in - milk, cheese etc and these depend on red or green day too.

tbh, I am a carb junkie so try to stick to green days - big bowls of pasta (pref wholewheat) with fat free sauces - spicy tomato or creamy mushroom (with fat free yoghurt and cheese as healthy extra). I like jacket potatoes with baked beans and risotto with mushrooms, leek and peas (again a little cheese added from healthy extra)
Soup is great - can make almost any kind as long as you watch the fat content. Only problem is that I like big chunks of bread to dip in... Still, if I haven?t decided if it is a red or green day, most soups will work with either so a good safe bet for lunch.

Also, don?t forget your "sins" - I try to avoid using any at all as I know I use up my ten daily sins in stuff like ketchup, fruit juice for breakfast, the odd chocolate bar on bad days....

Try ebaying for the book "Slimming World Free Foods" - ISBN 009190165-0
loads of great recipes for both kinds of days and plenty of lists in there. Costs £15.99 in WHSmiths new so should be able to get it fairly cheaply elsewhere?

jumpingjackflash · 21/11/2005 14:30

thanks for your help. Is there anywhere I can get the password for the sw site or is this a no-no? It is just I cannot get to a class and the cost of joining online is £49 or something.

I will do original B. as I have followed Atkins before and loved it except it gets so boring and I don't eat cheese so could only have one sweet thing ... cream or sugar free jelly and I love fruit!

OP posts:
jumpingjackflash · 21/11/2005 14:30

thanks for your help. Is there anywhere I can get the password for the sw site or is this a no-no? It is just I cannot get to a class and the cost of joining online is £49 or something.

I will do original B. as I have followed Atkins before and loved it except it gets so boring and I don't eat cheese so could only have one sweet thing ... cream or sugar free jelly and I love fruit!

OP posts:
suzywong · 21/11/2005 14:31

look, I can't help you.
Please, stop pestering me in this over fashion. FGS

jumpingjackflash · 21/11/2005 16:30

Suziewong, I didn't realise I was pestering you personally?? Since when. You can decide whether or not to add your help to a thread. The fact that I hit the post message button twice by mistake ? is that it?

OP posts:
jumpingjackflash · 21/11/2005 17:04

Thanks to Fireworks for all that info. Helps a lot .. thanks for taking the time to type it all in. Bunny2 thanks. I have since spoken to a Slimming World Consultant on the phone. Apparently password is not to get on the site, as you can access this without it. However, rest of the site is for for member's of classes only. I told her I couldn't get to a class so the Consultant recommended the book from Slimming World so I have bought that from them so that I can get started without any delay. The hints really helped understand it Fireworks! as there is so much to read through! Good luck to you all if you are doing SW! Happy losing!

OP posts:
crunchie · 21/11/2005 17:11

SW - susywong

I think she is taking the p

jumpingjackflash · 21/11/2005 17:20

Crunchie

err durrr..... thanks for stating that! Apologies to Suzywong for jerking my knee!! Had a bad day, oversensitive about my weight, new to MSN blah, blah, blah!!! My DH is always saying I knee jerk far too much. I will go and kick the dog instead .....

OP posts:
crunchie · 21/11/2005 17:21

Well I am only suggesting she is taking the p........... she maybe entirely serious, but I don't think so

My first SW meeting tonight

jumpingjackflash · 21/11/2005 17:27

Good luck Crunchie! Apparently it is a really good diet especially if you like eating loads... like me. I think I have lost the same stone goodness knows how many times..... Hope to lose before Christmas if I don't get to the xmas tree chocolates before then...... they are calling me.....

OP posts:
tweeni · 23/11/2005 11:48

can anyone tell me whether the following foods are free or have no syns because i lost my directory when i joined a few years ago. don;t really want to rejoin as i know how it all works etc.

mascapone
creme fraiche
crushed garlic (you know the stuff you buyi n aj ar already done)
beef stock
veg stock
nutmeg
gravy

crunchie · 23/11/2005 12:11

Marcapone - no
Creme Fraiche - no
Crushed Garlic - do you mean EPC which is garlic in vinegar? or one with oil? I count the EPC very lazy garlic as free food
Beef stock - only when made with Bovril (otherwise 1 syn a cube)
Veg stock - only when made with Vecon (otherwise 1 syn a cube)
Nutmeg - free
Gravy - Bisto when made to instructions about 1 syn for 4 tbsp.

crunchie · 23/11/2005 12:12

tweeni what you can do it go online, sign up to Slimming World Lifeline - there is always the password mentioned on the big SW thread (needs a new class password most weeks, this week is Sweetcorn

This gives you access to syns online

tweeni · 23/11/2005 12:26

oh right i went on but couldn't find anything on balsamic vinegar do you know if this is free?

crunchie · 23/11/2005 12:33

Free

tweeni · 23/11/2005 12:47

im making syn free spag bol but wondered if i can use parmesan cheese as one of my option A choices?

crunchie · 23/11/2005 14:18

Yep you can, A or B choice depending if you have had any milk

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.