Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Join Mumsnet's vegan community and discuss everything related to the vegan diet.

Vegan Boxing Day Food

Positivelysober · 30/11/2021 13:03

We are at my mum's for Christmas day, having a Wellington with all the trimmings and a cold buffet in the evening.

They're coming to mine on boxing as it's my dad's birthday, I can't think of what food to make for us all, because I don't want to repeat most of what she makes in Christmas day.
Would like to try and make it a bit special and have something differnt. Things we've had before : Currys, chillies, pizzas, hot dogs etc and all the accompiaments ( these were on seperate occasions btw🤣)

Thanks in advance.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 01/12/2021 06:13

Butternut or chestnut falafel with jewelled couscous or cauliflower pilaf and warm pittas or flatbreads.

Please
or

choppolata · 01/12/2021 06:45

Mezze? Ottolenghi is good for inspiration.. I love muhammara which is a red pepper and walnut dip. ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/muhammara

Please
or

Positivelysober · 01/12/2021 18:18

Ooh thank you both some great ideas there.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Arethechildreninbedyet · 03/12/2021 21:03

Are you all vegan or are you Vegan and they're omni?

I'd go something very anti roast dinner!

What about a big pot of something pasta based with lots of sides - maybe a lasagne/spag bol/puttanesca/arrabiata/carbonara with garlic bread, salad, coleslaw, chips etc.

Or could you do a bit of a chinese banquet?

Linda McCartney duck, spring rolls, vegan prawn toast, wontons, salt and pepper chips, bao buns, crispy seaweed, tofu in blackbean/curry sauce, battered 'chicken' in sweet and sour, fried rice, noodles, stir fried greens etc.

I've found that anything that ISN'T a roast goes down an absolute treat!

Please
or

MrsPleasant · 03/12/2021 21:12

Ottolenghi's cauliflower shawarma is lovely, could do with pp's suggestion of jewelled couscous and tabbouleh.

Please
or

Positivelysober · 04/12/2021 08:57

Half of us are vegan half not, but they're all great and cook and all eat vegan at their homes when we go to theirs, so I'm really lucky.

Hadn't thought of Chinese, think that might go down well.

Have had a look at the Ottolenghi website, there's some absolutely delicious looking things on there, so at the mo think I'm going to decided between some things from there or some Chinese food.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MmmakkaPakka · 17/12/2021 10:56

Dark Matters vegan brownies for pudding! Xmas Smile

Please
or

Caspianberg · 17/12/2021 10:59

Pizzas?
You can make dough up to 2 weeks before and put in fridge, so you could make easily 23/24th and in fridge.
Then all make various pizzas with a mixture of toppings.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.