Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Join Mumsnet's vegan community and discuss everything related to the vegan diet.

Low/no sugar baking

theneverendinglaundry · 08/11/2021 12:21

Can anyone recommend recipes or a cookbook for vegan low/no sugar baking?

I am on a mission to reduce the amount of refined sugar my kids eat.

I have already made a couple of things out of Healthy Vegan, but would love some more ideas!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mondaymindy · 19/11/2021 18:28

I use a subsitute called stevia.

Please
or

ElaineMarieBenes · 19/11/2021 20:31

I quite often don’t bother putting sugar in, or anywhere near the amount stated in the recipe (e.g. for my scone recipe I add only 10g of unrefined cane sugar). I like the Domestic Gothess vegan recipes - but usually only add a fraction of the sugar listed (recently did her mulled wine chocolate cake - delicious 😋)

Please
or

Kikkomam · 19/11/2021 20:32

Low carb recipes often use ethrytitol

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 19/11/2021 20:36

Is it the 'refined' part you don't like or the 'sugar' part? Because you can use monk fruit, stevia, whatever but it's all highly processed.

Or apple sauce, maple syrup or whatever instead but it's sugary (just not refined).

Or just avoid sweet stuff. We're mainly keto and just don't have that sweet stuff in the house.

Please
or

theneverendinglaundry · 19/11/2021 20:50

Thanks for your replies. Yes I think I want to avoid anything too processed or refined, and with wholemeal flour if possible. They like sweet things for their snack at school, I am just trying to tick that box and also give them something that will keep them going without any sugar spikes.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 19/11/2021 20:53

You can avoid adding lots of sugar if you use already sweet things. For example applesauce cake and carrot cake.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.