Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Join Mumsnet's vegan community and discuss everything related to the vegan diet.

Milk for latte (not oat)

JoborPlay · 01/08/2021 11:12

DH has gone vegan. I am not but we are cutting out milk as a family. The kids and DH have oat milk.

I can't stand oatmilk. It tastes like porridge and has a slimy texture. I actually like porridge, but I don't like coffee flavoured porridge!

I enjoy a morning latte everyday it's the only milk I ever have. I can't have soya and almond doesn't froth well.

Any suggestions?

OP's posts:
Please
or

NEE1302 · 01/08/2021 11:17

Coconut milk

Please
or

ButYouGottaHaveASkillJeff · 01/08/2021 11:19

I know the point of this post is not oat milk but I hate every oat milk apart from Oatly Barista (grey carton). It's the one I used for lattes as it froths up well. I no longer drink it for various reasons but if you can't find anything else maybe try that?

Please
or

PleaseReferToMeAsBritneySpears · 01/08/2021 11:21

There are dozens of alternatives so you just need to try them all.

Even picking one, for example oat, they vary wildly in taste and texture according to supermarket own, Oatly Barista, (my fave) unsweetened etc.

Please
or

ThatDreamSheep · 01/08/2021 11:21

I personally don't like coffee but I've heard people say the 'barista' ones froth well and I've seen coconut and almond versions.

Please
or

JustAnotherFuckingMonday · 01/08/2021 11:21

Soya milk makes a lovely latte, especially if you use the barista one.
I like almond milk in coffee too.

Please
or

PleaseReferToMeAsBritneySpears · 01/08/2021 11:22

I think rice may be the blandest of all.

Please
or

JoborPlay · 01/08/2021 11:48

@ButYouGottaHaveASkillJeff

I know the point of this post is not oat milk but I hate every oat milk apart from Oatly Barista (grey carton). It's the one I used for lattes as it froths up well. I no longer drink it for various reasons but if you can't find anything else maybe try that?

I find that the worst!
OP's posts:
Please
or

ButYouGottaHaveASkillJeff · 01/08/2021 11:50

😂 I'll bow out quietly..

Please
or

JoborPlay · 01/08/2021 11:51

@JustAnotherFuckingMonday

Soya milk makes a lovely latte, especially if you use the barista one.
I like almond milk in coffee too.

I can't have soya.

I've tried almond and I like it, but it doesn't froth well (at all). I've not found a barista version.

I've tried most milk alternatives. I'm particularly interested in which froth well.
OP's posts:
Please
or

spinningspaniels · 01/08/2021 11:57

I find the only reliable froth comes from Alpro soya unsweetened...... but that's not helpful. I know what you mean about Oatly but it's only that brand of oat milk that has the porridge taste to me ... the Alpro one is OK and foams a little, same with the Califia Oat Barista.

Please
or

Createdjustforthis · 01/08/2021 12:00

In my dairy free days I found that other than oatly barista they were all shit for coffee (and everything else tbh). I stopped drinking it.

Please
or

Hopeislost · 01/08/2021 12:02

The Almond Breeze Barista froths well and tastes nicer than regular almond milk. I buy mine from Waitrose.

Please
or
Please
or

Neondisco · 01/08/2021 12:06

I think soy froths the best but if you can't have it I'd try tr the oat batista one.

Personally I think coconut is lovely but it does taste of coconut.

Could you try rice milk?

Please
or

Caspianberg · 01/08/2021 12:07

Have you tried pea based milk or hemp? Pea is supposed to be the most neutral in taste for coffee

Please
or

Willowthewispp · 18/08/2021 22:58

Coconut is my go too... I love it.

Please
or

RampantIvy · 18/08/2021 23:01

Coconut doesn't froth well, and tastes of coconut. I like my coffee to taste of coffee, not coconut.

Please
or

ThedaBara · 18/08/2021 23:38

I'll second pea milk. Good luck finding it in shop, I buy it online, but it's "thicker" than nut milks and more sustainable too, froths, has a bland flavour and is the closest I've found to real milk

Please
or

NannyR · 19/08/2021 06:45

Hazelnut milk tastes delicious in coffee. I also can't stand the oatly barista - I find it has a weird greasy texture. I've been using the Jord brand oat and hemp recently which is really nice, but doesn't have added calcium, b12 and iodine.

Please
or

Queenoftheashes · 19/08/2021 06:48

I also like hazelnut milk - started out having it in vegan hot chocolate and pitaya lattes from planet organic

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.