Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Join Mumsnet's vegan community and discuss everything related to the vegan diet.

Vegetarian cheese

JoJoSM2 · 06/06/2017 10:00

Is there any way of been no certain if a particular type of cheese is vegetarian or not? I know that Parmesan or Gorgonzola never are, resume that Paneer always is but what about the others? Packets in the supermarket don't seem to say...

OP's posts:
Please
or

MarklahMarklah · 06/06/2017 10:11

Hi JoJo
You've posted in 'Vegan' so you may get a mixture of answers! I understand that many cheeses now are made with vegetarian rennet. It should say that on the packaging, or the packs ought to carry a 'V' symbol or similar.
If you're looking to move toward vegan foods, I'm sure plenty of posters on this board will be able to suggest cheese alternatives or plant-based 'cheeses' for you.

Please
or

JoJoSM2 · 06/06/2017 10:39

Sorry for posting in vegan, I don't think there's a vegetarian section here... I thought quite a few ladies might be pretty knowledgeable and able to help :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

MarklahMarklah · 06/06/2017 15:38

Very surprised that nobody else has commented!

Please
or

TheSpottedZebra · 06/06/2017 15:42

You can get veggie versions of most cheeses -for example there is a parmesanalike: the Italian style hard cheese in in the in the value range at sainsburys and tesco are veggie. They do have the V.
Likewise, not gorgonzola proper, but but you but you can find soft, sweet blue cheeses that are vegetarian.
I just assume that anything that isn't labelled vegetarian, isn't.

Please
or

JoJoSM2 · 06/06/2017 17:03

Ok. I'll just look out for the symbols then. I though that perhaps even though some aren't labelled, they are vegetarian anyway.

OP's posts:
Please
or

JoJoSM2 · 06/06/2017 20:41

Ive just looked on the Waitrose website and saw that most of their organic cheeses are vegetarian. Perfect as I was feeling a bit bad about buying non-organic ;)

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.