Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Skylander

bodiddly · 18/11/2011 21:35

Ds is having the wii starter kit for Christmas and I wanted to get one or two extra figures to go with it. Can anyone that knows the game advise as to whether there is an order in which the figures need to be bought or whether I should just randomly pick anothe couple?

OP's posts:
Please
or

bodiddly · 19/11/2011 18:40

bump

OP's posts:
Please
or

Aliensstolemychildren · 19/11/2011 18:58

Hi my 2 DS's have that game and they love it.
The first thing to know is that the three skylanders they give you in the started pack is never enough - you will need more and more of them the further you get through the game (firstly because they run our of energy and need to rest and secondly because you need certain types of skylanders to unlock certain parts of the game).
You have to have at least one of the following skylanders to complete the game : fire, water, magic, tech, air, undead, earth and life. Once you have them all you can complete the 70 or so levels there are to the game.
Basically it is really easy to control you put the skylander figure you want to play with on the portal (wi-fi comes with the starter pack) and you play with that character until they need to rest and then you place another skylander on and continue playing with that one. They all have different characteristics.
The story is quite cool (from what i have seen of it) and it certainly keeps them interested - mine would play for hours if they were allowed.
The last thing to say is that when you have completed the game you can expand it by buying an adventure pack which consists of two skylanders and a ship or boat. This then gives you a new adventure to play.It can be quite expensive with the characters costing 6.99 each and the expansion packs at 18.99 but it is a good game and the kids seem to love it (my DH and I have had a crafty play whilst the kids are not looking and it is really good in two player mode - very collaborative)
Hope that helps

Please
or

bodiddly · 19/11/2011 19:18

thank you ... do you know what the best ones to buy would be then or should I just randomly pick a couple from amazon? I doubt very much ds will complete the game as I don't let him have too much time on the wii but dont want to find that he doesnt have enough figures to be able to play with his dad properly over christmas.

OP's posts:
Please
or

worriermum · 16/12/2011 17:15

This thread is a month old but I'm bumping it in the hope that someone answers bodiddly's question. I want to get DS a wii for xmas and am wondering if its worth forking out for skylander

Please
or

SharonBu · 23/01/2012 22:16

Great game! It is possible to finish the game with the figures you get in the box, BUT you miss a lot of the fun features.
Don't randomly pick one, you'll be in trouble with your kid! Each Skylander has a class, you get a 'tech', 'magic' and 'water' class with the game - so if you wanted to buy extra Skylander figures then get one from a different class to those. Look on the back of the original box to see what I mean, they are all set out in their groups. THe most popular ones in our house were Eruptor, Stump Smash and Sonic Boom. I think they are fire, life and air classes but don't quote me on it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.