Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ratios

RainbowSunshine21 · 25/11/2021 18:43

Pulling my hair out - any advice welcome from fellow teachers.

Trying not to be too outing about specifics but -

42 Reception children

One class teacher, a level 3 and a level 2 teaching assistant.

This isn't right is it?

Feel like I'm not being listened to despite airing my concerns.

OP's posts:
Please
or

13luckyblackcats · 25/11/2021 19:19

I thought it was no more than 30 children for each qualified teacher. I know a 45 intake school that only had 31 children admitted to reception this year. They needed two qualified teachers.
Found this on gov.uk
Limit on infant class sizes
3.—(1) This regulation has effect for limiting class sizes for infant classes at schools in England for the purposes of section 1 of the 1998 Act.

(2) No infant class at such a school shall contain more than 30 pupils while an ordinary teaching session is conducted by a single qualified teacher.

(3) Where an ordinary teaching session in the case of any such class is conducted by more than one qualified teacher, paragraph (2) shall be taken to prohibit the class from containing more than 30 pupils for every one of those teachers.

Please
or

13luckyblackcats · 25/11/2021 19:23

That school is part of MAT, by the way, although I know Academies can employ unqualified teachers. The legislation is from 1998 and I don't have time to see if it has been updated to take academies into account-I imagine someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly!

Please
or

JanetandJohn500 · 25/11/2021 19:56

I think infant class size takes into account non-classroom based teachers such as HT and dep head.

Please
or

13luckyblackcats · 25/11/2021 20:13

This seems to suggest they would need to be in the room, teaching, though?

(3) Where an ordinary teaching session in the case of any such class is conducted by more than one qualified teacher, paragraph (2) shall be taken to prohibit the class from containing more than 30 pupils for every one of those teachers.

Please
or

DeepaBeesKit · 26/11/2021 12:53

Is it some dodge based on the fact that the children arent actually required to start school til term after 5th birthday

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.