Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Free supply teacher

RaraRachael · 19/09/2021 19:14

I'm an ASN teacher in mainstream. This year, we've a new HT and I feel like I'm just a free supply teacher. I haven't seen some of my pupils at all since we've been back (5 weeks). Every week it's "Can you cover Mrs Y's class Monday and Tuesday" or "Can you cover a class while the teacher is at a planning meeting " - a meeting that I should be at as it's a pupil I work with. I've tried complaining but all I get told is that there aren't any supply teachers available.

Is this happening to other ASN teachers. I've had enough and thinking of chucking it in

OP's posts:
Please
or

TortolaParadise · 19/09/2021 20:22

I had a very similar experience las academic year. I was asked to cover beyond 'hardly ever cover' as stated in the Burgundy Book. I was also asked or should I say directed to plan the core subjects for a teacher who was off long term sick too. This went on and on. I resigned and now work in a different school where my role is respected and I am allowed to do it.
I hope things get better for you.

Please
or

TortolaParadise · 19/09/2021 20:28

If you are think of moving it would be wise to start looking from now as resignation date is 31st October.

Please
or

RaraRachael · 19/09/2021 20:40

I'm in Scotland so a bit different here. We can be used as "emergency" cover but that's a very loose description.
Strangely it never used to happen with previous HT

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.