Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What will happen over the summer?

Appuskidu · 07/06/2020 19:42

I think the government was hoping we’d have a few weeks of Y2-5 back in primary before the summer holidays and then claim things were back to normal, so wouldn’t have to offer anything for Key Worker children over the summer, but I think this is looking unlikely now.

Do we think schools will be asked to continue provide KW care throughout the summer?!

OP's posts:
Please
or

pfrench · 07/06/2020 21:02

I hope not. Will be the same 13 kids, we're all bored of childcare. They are bored of each other.

Please
or

Coffeeandteach · 08/06/2020 09:32

They can ask but I don't think anyone at my school will do it without being paid to.

Please
or

Hibbetyhob · 08/06/2020 10:22

Our LA organised childcare hub things over Easter - they had run out of money to do the same for half term but maybe could do the same over summer?

I’m very reluctant to volunteer if it becomes the thing over summer. DH would definitely want to go in to his school and if I’m going in too we just lose the chance for a proper break.

Please
or

minisoksmakehardwork · 08/06/2020 13:16

I would prefer to see the usual school holiday clubs being allowed to start up. They would be far more suited to providing the summer holiday programme and this would free up school staff for the most part who can then do their usual prep for the forthcoming year over the summer holidays.

In short; I think parents who would normally pay for holiday club over the holiday periods should do this. Those who normally rely on grandparent care will need to consider their options depending on whether those people are shielding/high risk etc so it may mean they have to take some unpaid leave to cover this period if there is no alternative.

Please
or

flumposie · 08/06/2020 19:04

I agree that holiday clubs need to run over the summer. Teachers have done their part. Being at a holiday club should be no different to being in school.

Please
or

BlessYourCottonSocks · 10/06/2020 19:24

I won't be doing it either paid or unpaid.

Not going in over the summer holidays. Not ever.

Please
or

RubyViolet · 10/06/2020 21:22

No, l want 14 days to quarantine my family so we can visit my Mother for the first time this year.
I won’t get another chance of 14 days until Christmas. This is our one chance to be safe and make a visit.

Please
or

RubyViolet · 10/06/2020 21:23

Socially distancing on the visit too !

Please
or

Meredusoleil · 12/06/2020 19:26

I read on the BBC News yesterday that BoJo has said schools will NOT be open over the summer holidays. Thankfully! Gotta be the first time I have agreed with something that man has said 👍

Please
or

DrMadelineMaxwell · 12/06/2020 23:01

We're opening it in Wales, but it's not expected to be covered by teachers, who've manned the hub.
I hope they will open it up to our support staff. 90% of them are also employed by our holiday and wraparound care clubs and they've lost all that income during the last 12 weeks. Their lives would be a lot easier if they could be paid for it properly, although they may have been furloughed.

Please
or
Please
or

Juiceey · 14/06/2020 13:42

I will definitely not be working. I expect the support staff who get paid overtime will.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.