Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Maternity cover teacher paid over summer?

Piixxiiee · 29/01/2020 20:37

I'm covering a maternity leave as a teacher. Contract runs until end of August- do you think this is standard or a bit odd? Not complaining but wasn't expecting to get paid for August I thought it would run until end of Summer term?
Great school so I'm happy a d if anything beyond August is offered I'd jump at it but just seems over generous to me unless this is standard?

OP's posts:
Please
or

ElizabethinherGermanGarden · 29/01/2020 20:40

I think schools have to pay for the summer if you work a full academic year and are there at the end of the summer term. Some schools just do it for recruitment and retention.

Please
or

noblegiraffe · 29/01/2020 20:42

It can be that the woman on maternity puts her return date at the end of summer term and gets the summer pay while the maternity cover doesn’t.

Please
or

mamapants · 29/01/2020 20:48

Where I work the maternity cover gets paid until the day before teacher comes back. Most people come back last day of term so that they get paid full pay over summer do then maternity cover doesn't get paid.

Please
or

Piixxiiee · 29/01/2020 20:56

Ok thanks her maternity starts next week...

OP's posts:
Please
or

astuz · 30/01/2020 07:02

I did a full 1 year maternity cover a few years ago, and got paid over the summer, even though the teacher I was covering came back a few weeks before the end of term.

My contract was for the full academic year, so that's what they paid me for. Like you, it was a lovely school, I got offered a full-time job off the back of it, and I'm still working there now!

I would take it as a sign that it's a good school, with management who treat their staff like human beings.

Please
or

Cynderella · 30/01/2020 08:52

Don't want to be voice of doom, but does it have a very short notice period and/or a clause about contract ending sooner if post-holder returns?

Hopefully, post-holder won't want to return in July, anyway!

Please
or

katewhinesalot · 30/01/2020 08:56

I went back for the last week of term to be paid for the summer holidays. Perhaps she hasn't twigged that yet.

Please
or

Whatelsecouldibecalled · 30/01/2020 21:35

When I did mat cover years ago it was supposed to be end of August but naturally the mother cane back 2 weeks before summer so my contract was ended and I wasn’t paid over the summer. Hope that doesn’t happen to you but I think it a very common. Lots of mat covers have different noticed dates to normal. Mine was 2 weeks.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.