Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Visit to school before application - HELP

ReadWriteDraw · 18/05/2019 09:00

Morning! I am visiting a school on Monday which I am hoping to put in an application for (Catholic primary). What to wear??!!

For an interview I would wear a smart dress, blazer style jacket and smart low heels but what should I wear for the visit?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Parker231 · 18/05/2019 09:02

Is it a state school? You’re not being interviewed for a place but a quick look around so usual clothes - jeans and T-shirt .

Please
or

Parker231 · 18/05/2019 09:04

Sorry - read this again - you’re applying for a job not sending your DC’s to the school? I would do smart casual and save your interview clothes for the actual interview.

Please
or

suze28 · 18/05/2019 09:04

In the past when I was visiting schools prior to application, I'd always dress smartly. I would never dress casually in jeans. Some schools include this initial visit as part of their selection process.

Please
or

BigcatLittlecat · 18/05/2019 09:04

I would wear what you normally wear for school. Don't wear denim though. We all wear various denim at my school but wouldn't wear it for a walk around visit. Good luck.

Please
or

WoodyOak · 18/05/2019 09:05

I would say smart clothes for an interest visit. You are making your first impression so should look like a professional. I am management in a primary school and I would find it too casual if a candidate turned up in jeans and a t-shirt. You wouldn't wear that on a normal school day.
Good luck!

Please
or

GreenTulips · 18/05/2019 09:06

Black trousers flat shoes and a long sleeved top.
They really just want to see how interested you are and a lot of staff don’t go to view

They won’t get interviews

Please
or

Springcleanish · 18/05/2019 09:07

Does the school have a staff dress code? If so, adhere to that, or your normal work wear. If someone turned up to tour our school in jeans, they would not even get an interview, as we have a formal dress code, state secondary school.

Please
or

ReadWriteDraw · 18/05/2019 09:08

Thank you - very helpful. That was my gut feeling too. I’ve always ‘fallen’ into jobs so never had a teaching interview even after 15 years! I got my first job after my final teacher training placement and my other two after working temporary contracts so it’s all new to me!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Paddington68 · 18/05/2019 09:12

Smart, no demin.
Some schools use this visit as part of the interview process.
If you have two interview outfits wear one of them.
Flat shoes as you will be walking about a fair bit, for the tour.

Please
or

ReadWriteDraw · 18/05/2019 09:17

Thank you! I will do smart but not quite interview smart. I’m so glad I called for a visit now as I never knew it was part of the process. I will report back : )

OP's posts:
Please
or

ReadWriteDraw · 18/05/2019 11:47

Just another quick question! Should I bring anything with me (CV, application etc) or just myself?

OP's posts:
Please
or

suze28 · 18/05/2019 16:47

I'd take a notebook and pen to make notes if you're that way inclined. I'd complete the application after the look around, that way you can refer to things you've seen or discussed during it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.