Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Had anyone made class blogs?

PumpkinPie2016 · 30/06/2018 17:59

Just wondered if anyone has tried making/using blogs with classes and if so, was it successful?

I teach secondary science and I am thinking of trying this with Y7 and Y8 next academic year. I would, of course, use a specific education blog platform.

I was hoping that we could use it to share pictures of pupils work, photographs of experiments/activities we do and possibly videos of pupils explaining what they have learnt etc.

I could also post links to videos/websites that link to the topics being studied.

At the moment, my school is very big on teachers trying new things and taking risks in lessons so I'm hopeful that the head would like the idea?

What do you think? Nice idea or have I taken leave of my senses in the post exam/countdown to summer period Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

noblegiraffe · 30/06/2018 19:22

Permission to film the kids (on what? Personal device would be dodgy), upload videos of them to external websites, GDPR etc.

How does it help the kids learn more effectively? If you’re going to be putting all that effort in then given the massive workload issues in teaching, would your time be better spent doing something else?

Please
or

parrotonmyshoulder · 01/07/2018 12:58

I’ve started one this term - it’s been great. A real focus for writing.

Please
or

parrotonmyshoulder · 01/07/2018 12:58

Also great for teaching esafety skills.

Please
or

parrotonmyshoulder · 01/07/2018 13:43

Ah, we don’t post any pictures of kids though. It’s just a vehicle for writing for us.

Please
or

PumpkinPie2016 · 01/07/2018 16:28

Thank you for the replies - lots to consider.

With the GDPR it might be best not to post pics/videos of kids - good point!

I could still keep it for writing, posting you tube videos and examples of (un named) work.

I am just thinking that I have a middle set Y8 next year and something like this might help to engage them in different ways.

OP's posts:
Please
or

LockedOutOfMN · 01/07/2018 16:54

Would Google Classroom work?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.