Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Exam marking

Negcap · 17/05/2018 11:42

Marking can be great additional income...but never as much as you think! Choose your subject and level very carefully - some scripts can take up to an hour to mark properly (Eng Lit in particular) as there are frequently an insane amount of assessment objectives. Decided last year that I'd earn more in Tesco but was won over again this year by remembering I get to be at home to do it!

OP's posts:
Please
or

RainbowFairiesHaveNoPlot · 17/05/2018 19:58

I did KS2 SATs till it went on-screen. Gave the on-screen change a go, hated it the first year and they promised they'd fix the technology the following year. Was still taking a bloody age to load up each response so I withdrew and haven't marked since.

I was never under any illusions it was decent income for the work required - it was more it just fitted nicely against that point in the year where supply was starting to die off for the summer.

Please
or

TheFallenMadonna · 17/05/2018 20:03

I haven't done it for years. Got sent a contract out of the blue again in March so will be getting my first taste of on screen marking this year Hmm

What annoys me is all the training we have to do unpaid. The email instructing me to do the compulsory GDPR training made me fume. "As with all the development training, we will not pay you. We do hope though that you find it useful in your role and elsewhere". Angry

Please
or

HollowTalk · 17/05/2018 20:15

I did it for years but it was absolutely awful once it went to on-screen marking, mainly because we didn't have the weekends away where the mark scheme would be discussed - all that was on-screen. I used to mark about 20 papers before the weekend and look at answers to see what might/might not be acceptable. By the end of the weekend I could cope with most answers. That was changed to 8-10 papers online and you were just told if you got the marking right or not. If not, you had to go away and look at it until it was right. Truly awful and the money really wasn't worth it.

Please
or

Rosieposy4 · 17/05/2018 21:55

I team lead on 2 components and whilst from next week until end of July it is pretty hellish I do think it is worth it.
I think it is the best CPD ever, and i make over the summer what a TLR would get me, but without all the year long hassle and stress.

Please
or

LotsToThinkOf · 18/05/2018 11:22

I agree with Rosieposy, its the income a TLR would get me but without the year long stress. The process isn't as helpful as it used to be though, the training weekends were much more informative than just going back over something until it was correct. I'm marking again this year mainly because its great for CPD.

Please
or

onanotherday · 30/05/2018 07:23

Agreed best CPD ever... when meeting to discuss paper.. really got rational for marking...now not so. Still aware every year is my lastHmm

Please
or

Icantbelieve · 31/05/2018 11:13

I agree with the cpd and money. I really like it and try to do as much as I can. It pays for christmas and holiday the following year plus spending money over the summer. I do science. Some exam boards more lucrative than others

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.