Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Coincidences

NiceShrubbery · 24/01/2022 13:25

I'm wondering about PC's judgement again. Maybe it's just me.

United World Colleges was set up in Montezuma in New Mexico by Armand Hammer and PC in 1982.

Armand Hammer is (was) another disgraced billionaire.

newrepublic.com/article/154761/jeffrey-epstein-zorro-ranch-new-mexico-history

OP's posts:
Please
or

EdithWeston · 26/01/2022 22:00

Coincidence

Prince Charles has been associated with UWC since 1978, taking over from a Lord Mountbatten as President.

There are 18 schools in the group (up from 9 when he started there)

Website here www.uwc.org/schools

For the school to be under the UWC banner, then of course you can say that all those on the governing bodies are linked. But it's not a particularly close link, and I doubt very much that PC was hands on with the corporate governance (policies and standards all on the website)

I think it says more about how some people like to name drop.

Please
or

Pinotpleasure · 27/01/2022 15:33

@NiceShrubbery - I highly doubt that the UWC in New Mexico was actually “set up” (I’m assuming this means financed/founded) by Prince Charles.

My daughter was a pupil at the UWCSEA in Singapore from 1995-2000. Prince Charles was listed as a Patron on letters (and bills!) from the school, along with Nelson Mandela.

I can’t remember exactly which Prince Charles ceased to be a Patron, but he was replaced by Queen Noor of Jordan....I only noticed when his name was no longer on the letterheads and it was almost certainly mentioned in one of the school newsletters.

It would seem that Prince Charles was merely just a Patron of the UWC colleges - and I don’t understand why you are questioning his judgement? I think it is ‘just you’.

Please
or

Llareggub · 06/02/2022 11:47

I think the royal family link is with Kurt Hahn, who founded the first UWC and several other schools, including Gordonstoun. I’m not sure of exactly how but I think he was also involved in or inspired the DofE awards and the Outwood Bound movement.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.