My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Are some cats just smellier than others?

5 replies

WhatAFeline · 15/01/2014 22:19

My kitten ( 6 months ) eats the same brand food as my old cat, but kitten version. Royal Canin biscuits and 1 Felix pouch per day.

She quite often smells quite strongly of food. My old cat never smelled like this, I am sure!

Does anyone know how to make WhatAKitten more fragrant?

Thanks.

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 15/01/2014 22:21

What part of her is smelling, What? Is she grooming herself properly as far as you can see?

WhatAFeline · 15/01/2014 22:30

I hardly ever see her groom, but she feels extra soft in the night so I think she washes then.

The smell is a bit of a miasma....just had a sniff, it is mouth and bottom! The middle seems ok! Smile

OP posts:
bonzo77 · 15/01/2014 22:37

Does she drink enough? I guess different cats react differently to the same food. My cat smells much less on dry food only.

Is it just food she smells of? Younger cats can have anal gland ishoos that they grow out of. They smell of cat shit. Mine had this and is mostly resolved (she's 3.7).

cozietoesie · 15/01/2014 22:37

I wonder whether Mum didn't teach her properly and she's got so used to the smell that she's not grooming quite enough - because she doesn't realize she's a bit whiffy?

Maybe you could try helping her out for a week or two (other posters might be able to recommend good wipes but you could use a non-shedding cloth dipped in some warm water if not.) Just for a little bit so that she gets used to not smelling of food and has a go herself once she's eaten/poo'd.

WhatAFeline · 16/01/2014 12:57

Thank you cat experts, that is very helpful. Smile

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.