My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Is their a flea treatment that works that i dont need a prescription for ?

8 replies

butterflyflyaway · 08/09/2013 12:12

Just that really as I can't get to the vets at the moment & I have already used normal frontline which was useless .
So ....

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 08/09/2013 12:23

When did you last take your cat(s) to the vets? (If it was fairly recent, they might give you a prescription for an online purchase via a phone call.)

butterflyflyaway · 08/09/2013 12:43

Not for at least six months

OP posts:
Lonecatwithkitten · 08/09/2013 13:05

Different vets will have their own rules. But if we have seen a pet in last 12 months we will prescribe or dispense flea or worm treatment. Medicines for treatment are different.

cozietoesie · 08/09/2013 13:14

Worth a phone call then butterfly. If you can't even get to the vet for the prescription/flea treatment, then you could ask them to post it to you and buy online - and pay the vet for the prescription etc online.

Other posters may have recommendations for what you might use if you can get that prescription. (Frontline has stopped working in many areas.)

LowLevelWhinging · 08/09/2013 13:18

If there is I haven't found it.

We've been fighting the little bastards with frontline, bob Martin tablets, cat spray, home sprays and bug bombs to no avail. Finally got some advocate drops and a house spray from the vet, so fingers crossed...

derektheladyhamster · 08/09/2013 13:21

try advantage, I switched from advocate which I can only get from the vets. It looks like it's made by the same people but doesn't have the tick protection

kylesmybaby · 08/09/2013 13:21

OP - you need Advantage and you don't need a prescription for it. Is £9.85 for 4 months supply. I used frontline for ages and kept finding fleas. it did not work for us at all. My cat is really long haired and she picks them up so easily. Since using Advantage six months ago I have never seen one again. It is amazing stuff and not expensive either.

butterflyflyaway · 08/09/2013 14:14

Thanks Kyle I'll give that a try

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.