Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Labrador x GSD

MaidofKent78 · 09/06/2020 10:28

Does anyone have experience of this cross?

We've the opportunity to rehome one and would like some idea of what to expect.

We've been looking for a new canine member of the family for a while. We're an active family and are out and about as much as possible so finding the time to walk and exercise it won't be a problem.

We (husband and I) both have experience of these two breeds but not as a cross! We have an almost 5 year old and it goes without saying that they will be closely supervised at all times, DS will be taught how to behave around the dog - he'll have as much training as the dog.

Thoughts? Are we mad for considering this type of dog for us?

OP's posts:
Please
or

LochJessMonster · 09/06/2020 13:23

If you can handle a GSD or a lab, then you can probably handle a cross.
It’ll likely be high energy and clever but trainable and willing to learn.
I imagine it will be high shedding though.

Please
or

frostedviolets · 09/06/2020 14:34

If you have experience of labradors and you have experience of GSDs then why would a Labrador x gsd be a mad choice of dog..? Hmm

Please
or

MaidofKent78 · 09/06/2020 15:24

@frostedviolets

If you have experience of labradors and you have experience of GSDs then why would a Labrador x gsd be a mad choice of dog..? Hmm

I'm not sure! I think I wrote this whist mulling whether having a dog is the right thing to do, and it's a projection of whether we're mad to get a dog, full stop. Whilst we have experience and the right set of circumstances, it's still a decision that can repercussions for all parties, and I'd hate to get it wrong.

What can I say; I'm a natural pessimist and worrier?!
OP's posts:
Please
or

fivedogstofeed · 09/06/2020 16:32

IME can be a lovely mix. The GSD traits can be quite strong, even in a dog that looks like a big lab.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.